Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2012, 07:06   #166

Re: Android Development Underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorman View Post
Hi
Have been using New Zealand chart data but coming up your way soon so downloaded region 14 charts. They are on the SD card but unable to select. Only NZ charts available. Any ideas.
Colorman,

In : Menu --> Install Chart Imagery ...

You downloaded REGION_NZ (New Zealand and South Pacific) and it is now labeled "installed".

And, you've also downloaded REGION_14 (San Francisco to Cape Flattery) and it also is now labeled "installed"

Now back in the chart view using back button...

Go to Menu --> Display --> Chart Region ...

You can select the chart region to use. Email me if this doesn't work for you and I'll help you out.

Will
Old 17-02-2012, 08:43   #167

Manimaul, something that might relate to your reply#166.
On my Toshiba Thrive (Android 3.1) the actual path to the external sdcard is apparently not reported by the API correctly. If I download a region from within MX Mariner it is saved on internal memory, not the external sdcard. Files copied by hand to the external sdcard are not visible to the program. Since this external path situation seems to be in some sort of flux (there was a change with Android 3.2, made sdcard read only), perhaps a browse button to point to the external sdcard might be necessary. The actual path to the sdcard is /sdcard-disk0 on my Thrive.
It is not a big problem for me yet as I have the 16GB model but it may become one as more files are added.
I'm definitely not an Android developer but see the path in the file explorer and learned the other stuff from a lot of web browsing.

Otherwise MXM is working great. Thanks!
Chuck Bauer
chuckbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2012, 09:22   #168

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

Hello Chuck,

You reported that files copied to the external SD-card seem to be invisible for the program MX Mariner on your Toshiba. I run OziExplorer on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (Android 3.2) and experienced similar problems. I found a solution though by following the instructions in this link.
[GUIDE] Link2sd setup and installation - xda-developers

It worked for me and might solve your problems.

Regards,

Roel Smidt
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 06:04   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbauer View Post
Manimaul, something that might relate to your reply#166.
On my Toshiba Thrive (Android 3.1) the actual path to the external sdcard is apparently not reported by the API correctly. If I download a region from within MX Mariner it is saved on internal memory, not the external sdcard. Files copied by hand to the external sdcard are not visible to the program. Since this external path situation seems to be in some sort of flux (there was a change with Android 3.2, made sdcard read only), perhaps a browse button to point to the external sdcard might be necessary. The actual path to the sdcard is /sdcard-disk0 on my Thrive.
It is not a big problem for me yet as I have the 16GB model but it may become one as more files are added.
I'm definitely not an Android developer but see the path in the file explorer and learned the other stuff from a lot of web browsing.

Otherwise MXM is working great. Thanks!
Chuck Bauer
Yes, here lies one of Android's weaknesses... many manufacturers doing various things. We have to take the good with the bad I suppose. Anyhow, I'm using Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory() in code to get the external storage/SD card. However, this returns an internal storage directory on some devices which is not a problem if you don't mind storing chart/data there. So, I'm adding "configurable chart data storage location" to the features list on the release schedule.

I'd also like to note that I'm taking a few weeks break from MXM dev to complete a project for my real job. However, I'm anxious to get back to the previous development pace.

Thanks,

Will
Old 28-02-2012, 17:35   #170

Thanks for the tip. I know of Link2sd but think it may require a rooted device. If so many folk will not want to do that. Also a lot of hassle.
On my 16GB tablet the charts will not take up so much space. Once Will adds the configurable chart storage feature (post 169) problem should be solved.
Chuck Bauer
Old 28-02-2012, 17:39   #171

Not a problem for now storing charts internally. Some folks like to keep a ton of music, movies, etc and might have a problem.
Your approach sounds right.
Thanks again.
Chuck Bauer
Old 29-02-2012, 00:26   #172

Boat: Drascombe Coaster (22ft) "Seanymph"

FYI, I did not have to root my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 at all. The only thing I modified (re-partitioned with minitool partition wizard) was the SD-card.
Roel
Roel Smidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2012, 12:36   #173

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

For anyone looking for a decent 10-inch Android tablet, there's a one-day sale (Feb. 29, 2012) on the Toshiba Thrive with Honeycomb, for $260:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13845_3-57387396-58/get-a-toshiba-thrive-10-inch-android-tablet-for-$259.99/

I still don't have a tablet -- just my Droid 3. I'm tempted to go for this Thrive, but will probably save my pennies and see what comes out later this year.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:50   #174

Boat: Caliber 47 - Makai
Toshiba Thrive - Navionics

Hello,
Has anybody been able to buy or sideload the Navionics app on a Toshiba Thrive tablet (noheycomb 3.2)?
Thank you,
Celine
heraulc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04   #175

Boat: Chris Craft 260 Sunbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hejapofa View Post
Have just acquired Blackberry Playbook with 16gb memory and built in GPS. Works well with Mapdroyd and Google Maps. Conversion of your app (APK) to Blackberry Format (BAR) should be easy using Blackberry's conversion software. Any chance you will consider doing it?
Hi Hejapofa,

Yes... It should not be difficult to convert. However, there are some expenses involved providing server for charts... Etc.

Manimaul, I have tried to put a project together... I am missing something. I intend for the BlackBerry PlayBook to add loading of ones own charts... Not using the server idea.

I would bet many do not know all the work you have done in this fine project... I thank you and even if it is open source... I hope you do not mind me messing around with your code.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Jeep_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 23:25   #176

Boat: Chris Craft 260 Sunbridge

Hi,

I have managed to the reduce the errors at build to 37 and 36 of those are in the google source... The one error in MX Mariner source is in relation to the google stuff in the file LocationOverlay.java. I will check the source I got from google again. So for the laymen here, there are no errors in MX Mariner... Just in my setup to compile.

Just wondering Manimaul, which build did you use of the google source.

Forgive me... If I am anxious... I can be of no help if I am not on the same page here. Java is not what I am most able at and really self taught with C, C++, etc.

The more I dig through the source... The more amazed I am... At all the work Manimaul has done here for us boaters!

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Jeep_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 08:04   #177

I have a collection of KAP charts which work well in OpenCPN and SeaSoft on my Laptop and Netbook. They also load into the Playbook using Marine Navigator Lite but only chart at a time and no quilting, no route planning.

For backup I have been using GE2KAP which allows me to confirm chart calibration. Some of the source material isn't correctly calibrated.

From the Crackberry Forum I see that someone has ported the Navionics App for the US to the Playbook.

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_YJ View Post
Hi,

I have managed to the reduce the errors at build to 37 and 36 of those are in the google source... The one error in MX Mariner source is in relation to the google stuff in the file LocationOverlay.java. I will check the source I got from google again. So for the laymen here, there are no errors in MX Mariner... Just in my setup to compile.

Just wondering Manimaul, which build did you use of the google source.

Forgive me... If I am anxious... I can be of no help if I am not on the same page here. Java is not what I am most able at and really self taught with C, C++, etc.

The more I dig through the source... The more amazed I am... At all the work Manimaul has done here for us boaters!

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
hejapofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2012, 09:00   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_YJ View Post

I would bet many do not know all the work you have done in this fine project... I thank you and even if it is open source... I hope you do not mind me messing around with your code.

Take care,

Jeep_YJ
Jeep,

I don't mind at all, that's what open source is all about.

I am currently working on an involved project for my "real" job that is expected to take approximately 3 more months. After which, I plan on resuming a more speedy development pace for MX Mariner. Right now I'm in maintenance mode, answering emails and making sure everything is running smooth. This morning (3/14/12) I pushed out updated NOAA chart downloads. The next chart update will be in June.

Thanks,

Will
Old 18-03-2012, 16:54   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimaul View Post
Other details ...

MX Mariner is open source. That means it will be forever free for anyone to download and use for free. The free version will be the same as the version that costs $5 on the Android Market except download access to the NOAA chart catalog mentioned above. It will be up to these users to create their own gemf charts. Programs and instructions how to create gemf charts from bsbv3 will also be available on the project website: mxmariner.org.

Thanks,

Will
I've been trying to find the link to download the free open source version of MX Marine, but everywhere I go I end up with a link that requires me to pay $6.99. Could you please provide a direct link to the free version?
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2012, 20:49   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
I've been trying to find the link to download the free open source version of MX Marine, but everywhere I go I end up with a link that requires me to pay $6.99. Could you please provide a direct link to the free version?
RhythmDoctor, so far the only packaged version of MX Mariner that I'm aware of is the one I have for sale on Google Play. However, the source code (linked to on the MX Mariner home page... has always been there) is here and map creation source code is here.

Thanks,

Will

Tags
paracelle