Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2016, 12:14   #1

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler
Android 5-Lollipop versus Win10 tablets?

I am purchasing a tablet to run OpenCPN exclusively.

In the lowest priced units two operating systems prevail. Lollipop5 (aka android) versus Win10.

Which will most easily integrate/work with OpenCPN ?
I understand and have ordered a small GPS puck.

Please speak slowly. Tablets are not my forte.

Thank you in advance.
Eventide.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 13:12   #2

Re: Android 5-Lollipop versus Win10 tablets?

Eventide at this point I'm going the Android route because I prefer the hardware (Sony Xperia tablet) however OpenCPN on Android does not ( at this stage ) have all the plugins integrated so I'm thinking if you want an all singing all dancing Opencpn the you would probably be better served with the Windows setup.

It is possible to get the Linux version running within android (so all singing/dancing) but it's not for the faint hearted or someone not comfortable with tablets...needs to be rooted etc.

Might be worth posting the question on the Android OpenCPN forum as well to get more opinions

So if your happy with mapping/routing etc and don't need (at this stage) radar overlays AIS etc etc then Android platform is fine but otherwise Windows.

All above is IMHO so YMMV

Cheers
Mark
mhasting2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 14:23   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

I would stick with Android.

I say this because I have seen posters mentioning internal gps on Windows can be iffy to integrate into the OpenCPN.

GPS puck sorta negates having a tablet. Few tablets have full size usb ports, few gps pucks come with mini usb plugs, etc. etc. etc. Why mount externally something you can have inside, etc.

We have an Android (4.2. something) tablet and I had zero problem setting OpenCPN up.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 19:04   #4

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

The RCA Viking Pro is an android. It does not appear to have an internal GPS. I've seen adaptors -- would one of those solve the no-internal-GPS problem or am I complicating this too much?

Also thank you for the question/answers. I'm leaning toward an android as Win10 just looks complicated. Timing on this thread was Excellent. Thanks!

J, aka the Dinosaur (happily using Win7 with OpenCPN incidentally and looking for a back-up)
Old 09-05-2016, 23:51   #5

Hi,
New user here. I have tested Windows OpenCPN with a cheap (under AU$16) USB GPS dongle and this was fine. I have purchased (but temporarily loaned out) a Chuwi Hi12 Tablet - this is a good spec tablet (Windows 10 and Android 5.1, 4GB RAM, 64GB store, 12" 2K screen) but is one of the few I have seen with full size USB2 and USB3 ports and a micro USB port. The Chuwi cost me under AU$300 at the time.

As soon as I get the tablet back in a week or so, I will test with the dongle and report back. I can recommend the Chuwi though - long battery life and not particularly slow under Windows 10 - not bothered testing on Android yet though. Smaller ones are available for around $100 although they only come with 2GB RAM and 32GB store but that should be plenty for just a few apps.
Cheers
Mike
mhlangensiepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 04:20   #6

I have the same opinion as barnakiel. external GPS is kind of defeating the purpose of a tablet.

While not on the cheap side, I'm very happy with my Sony Xperia Z which works fine with the internal GPS.

We used to have to charge the tablet and ran movies/music off a usb stick plugged into the micro usb port. This was generally a real pain and was damaging the port as well as making the unit no longer water resistant (they say waterproof but would recommend exercising caution). I know have a charging dock and load up the micro SD with all the movies/ music etc prior to going out on the boat which is a much better setup IMHO.

Must haves in a tablet are bluetooth (to send music to your car stereo on the boat plus other peripherals) and all the internal GPS motion and magnetic sensors. I highly ranked the Xperia because of the waterproof nature of the case other wise you need to put it into a case and then you won't have access to your USB port...and around you go.

Now when somebody comes out with a tablet that has a eInk display that would win hands down.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:28   #7

Oh I forgot to mention that even if you think you only want to run OpenCPN its likely that there are other apps that could be handy. For example Skymap which will show you all the stars and planets in the sky but needs a tablet with magnetic and G-force / motion sensors or compass programs that can in conjunction with the camera be used as a bearing compass.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:40   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Mike.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 20:52   #9

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler

Great answers and ideas. Thank you very much. Cruisers Forum has

always been one of the most helpful and giving venues on the net. Very

much appreciated.

My early cruising was based on an old RDF and paper charts. OpenCPN

and computers and tablets are all a miracle to me. So what I am looking

for is a format and hardware that is simple enough for a geezer like me to

absorb.

I am fairly computer savvy for my generation, but I am still an old fart and

it takes me a day to understand something that it might take most of you

only a minute to grasp.

Again, thanks for your responses. M.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 23:06   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

I have a Sony Xperia Z on which I run Navionics and use in the cockpit, I have found the charts for the East Coast of Australia to be pretty good so far.

I also have a 10" Asus with SSD tied into an NMEA 0183 link to the autopilot using a USB to RS422 converter which is dedicated to nav work and runs Win 7.

As backup I have a 10" Acer transformer which runs Win 10 and so far appears to handle OpenCPN without any problems.

I also have a 14" Asus which I use for general work and route planning which runs Win 8 and OpenCPN runs well on this computer.

I have tried the free Android version of OpenCPN on the Xperia Z but it hangs after a while so I removed it.

I have also tried running OpenCPN on a Toshiba Chromebook using Crouton however it was not a success as there were problems with passwords and when I overcame them it just proved too cumbersome.

The system of using the Win 7 computer with OpenCPN and CM93 charts to control the autopilot whilst I monitor things on the Xperia Z in the cockpit works well until it rains - touch screens appear to be rainfall shy and the Xperia goes haywire.

I will be fitting another boat out soon for coastal cruising and my ambition is to include a WiFi to RS422/485 converter to be able to connect all these gadgets wirelessly.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 23:15   #11

Not to start the whole paid android debate but why would you even bother with the free version as its unsupported and a much earlier beta version. Dave's paid version works fine on my Xperia is supported and being upgraded regularly.. just hoping that the plugins will flow thru to the Android OS as time goes by.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:40   #12

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhasting2004 View Post
Not to start the whole paid android debate but why would you even bother with the free version as its unsupported and a much earlier beta version. Dave's paid version works fine on my Xperia is supported and being upgraded regularly.. just hoping that the plugins will flow thru to the Android OS as time goes by.
It was available and I am not a big fan of touch screens anyway. There is a limited availability of reasonably priced charts for the areas I frequent and the OpenCPN/Navionics combo I am using gives excellent results. As much as I like OpenCPN and appreciate the effort Dave puts into it my perception is, at the moment, that I could not significantly improve things with OpenCPN on the tablet.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 11:45   #13

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Okay, now I'm really confused. When I went to OpenCPN to download the latest version for my Win7 I looked around. You're saying OpenCPN works with android and I'm not seeing anything labeled Android 5.1, Marshmallow, KitKat -- nothing. What am I missing and what specifically do I need to know first?

J, aka The Dinosaur
Old 15-05-2016, 12:16   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Okay, now I'm really confused. When I went to OpenCPN to download the latest version for my Win7 I looked around. You're saying OpenCPN works with android and I'm not seeing anything labeled Android 5.1, Marshmallow, KitKat -- nothing. What am I missing and what specifically do I need to know first?

J, aka The Dinosaur

Googleplay
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 13:19   #15

I'm very happy with OpenCPN on an Asus i3 15" laptop running Windows 10 below decks, with a GPS puck, and a Lenovo Tab 2 (the new 1.7ghz one) 10" Android tablet running Navionics in the cockpit in a SumacLife waterproof case. Navionics is running the free US Government charts down the East Coast and as far as USVI and PR, and Caribbean charts are a reasonable price if I need them.

It works for me, and the laptop and tablet were excellent value.
Endeavour32 is offline   Reply With Quote