Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 15:28   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Android 5-Lollipop versus Win10 tablets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Okay, now I'm really confused. When I went to OpenCPN to download the latest version for my Win7 I looked around. You're saying OpenCPN works with android and I'm not seeing anything labeled Android 5.1, Marshmallow, KitKat -- nothing. What am I missing and what specifically do I need to know first?

J, aka The Dinosaur
As Petter mentioned above, Android programs (often called applications, or in short Apps, here) are downloaded from Google Play. Google Play is where you find applications, movies, books, games and whatever one likes for Android.

On our tablet, there is a special icon which is named "Play" and when we tap it, Google Play pops up. There I type the name of the thing I want and I am sent to the right thing. There I click download and the application downloads to my tablet and gets installed. When done, I get a new icon on the home screen of the tablet and so I tap this one and see what happens. 9/10 I get what I want.

So, basically:

- start your tablet,
- connect to the Internet,
- tap the Google Play icon,
- type OpenCPN,
- tap the application you want,
- let it download and it installs by default,
- when done, go to your home screen, tap the new icon of the App,

This should work even if you may modify your steps somewhat to match your specific tablet.

Try some other search words when you are on Google Play. Try 'navigation', 'plotter', 'gps', 'ais' and other such words. They bring up interesting programs that you may like to play with or test.

BTW I can see two apps named OpenCPN on Google Play. The one I am using on our tablet is the one by Dave Register. I do not know what the other one is.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 04:40   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhasting2004 View Post
So if you..... don't need (at this stage) radar overlays AIS etc etc then Android platform is fine but otherwise Windows.

All above is IMHO so YMMV

Cheers
Mark

I am confused, I thought the android version supported displaying AIS? Is there a listing somewhere of Android OpenCPN app plug-ins?

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:45   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post

I am confused, I thought the android version supported displaying AIS? Is there a listing somewhere of Android OpenCPN app plug-ins?

Thanks
You do not need a plug-in.

OpenCPN displays AIS natively and does it best in its class.

Also plenty of other Android software does - I regularly use NV Charts, which shows AIS targets. I also play with other nav Apps and many of them display AIS. There are also AIS specific Apps on Play.

No problem at all.

One thing that puzzles me is why Furuno wireless radar App is available on Apple tablets but not on Android ones?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 05:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Thanks.

Tired of being "cored" by Apple so looking at options.

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:12   #20

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Please continue this discussion on the main Android Opencpn forum so that other andriod users will benefit. We request others to refrain from answering here, but please do help on the Android O forum! Thank you. It will make finding your important contributions and help easier for everyone.
http://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 23:30   #21

Boat: Rival 32

Hi Eventide,
As others have commented, it makes sense to purchase a Tablet with the GPS built in, no loose wires. Also an in-built compass I find useful.

I always think it is a wise investment to buy a tough rubber case for the tablet as they get dropped in wet hands.

I use an older Andriod tablet and it works very well, you do not need an expensive tablet to display charts. But it does need an external microSD card to store the charts.

I notice you live in sunny Florida so you can also download the Navionics boating App (Android) along with the US charts and all for FREE!

No problem having both system on your tablet.
Old 19-05-2016, 23:40   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbarch View Post
Hi Eventide,
As others have commented, it makes sense to purchase a Tablet with the GPS built in, no loose wires. Also an in-built compass I find useful.

I always think it is a wise investment to buy a tough rubber case for the tablet as they get dropped in wet hands.

I use an older Andriod tablet and it works very well, you do not need an expensive tablet to display charts. But it does need an external microSD card to store the charts.

I notice you live in sunny Florida so you can also download the Navionics boating App (Android) along with the US charts and all for FREE!

No problem having both system on your tablet.
Opencpn is open source and free - from the chartdownloader in opencpn you can download and also keep up to date all US charts ( and also lots of other areas) for free- Just a few click and the charts is installed and ready to go.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 03:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Please continue this discussion on the main Android Opencpn forum so that other andriod users will benefit. We request others to refrain from answering here, but please do help on the Android O forum! Thank you. It will make finding your important contributions and help easier for everyone.
http://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/
A reminder. Again.
Old 20-05-2016, 04:14   #24

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
OpenCPN Android Forum
Why? Personally, I find the discussion interesting and useful, but I have no desire to join and read another forum.
Old 20-05-2016, 04:20   #25

The reason is given above. It puts your important andriod information and contribuions in one place for other users reference.
Old 20-05-2016, 04:28   #26

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
The reason is given above. It puts your important andriod information and contribuions in one place for other users reference.
But, as the thread title implies, the discussion is useful for people who have not made the decision to go with an Android tablet, and so it is of more general interest.
Old 20-05-2016, 05:29   #27

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Why? Personally, I find the discussion interesting and useful, but I have no desire to join and read another forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
But, as the thread title implies, the discussion is useful for people who have not made the decision to go with an Android tablet, and so it is of more general interest.
Agree. I use OpenCPN, have an Android tablet but have not looked at the other forum. If I do go for the Android app I guess I will probably have to go there .... not sure why it's separate.
Old 20-05-2016, 18:18   #28

The topic does straddle two forums. Let's not let it get lopsided, and be sure to post Android specific to the other forum, and keep this just for comparison comments.
Thanks.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:50   #29

Boat: 36' Gulfstar Trawler

Thanks again, guys, for all your help. Really appreciated. This forum is the best. M.
Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote