Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2018, 14:04   #1

A few questions

Hi everyone! I've been trying to work out these problems all day, but at this point I'm confused and frustrated and could use some guidance.

1. I cannot get my Garmin 76Cx to connect - I've been through the tutorials as well as a guide in the Ubuntu forums and currently I'm stuck trying to figure out what the /dev/ path for my unit is. I don't see one labeled as "/dev/ttyUSB0", which supposedly is the default. What might be complicating matters is that I'm doing this on a chromebook - using crouton to run Ubuntu/Unity inside a wrapper. I don't need my GPS to work in chromeOS, but it's possible that Ubuntu is actually seeing virtual ports instead of the actual devices, and can't access anything that ChromeOS can't understand?

2. This is a question about the interface in general - is there any way to quickly switch which maps are active in the display? It's very frustrating to wait for the NOAA ENC charts to re-load whenever I want to move the screen a little bit. Would be great to switch the ENCs off, move to wherever I intend, and then switch them back on.

3. Finally - I like using the chart downloader, but is there a way to select all the files within a directory to download, as opposed to clicking the checkbox on each individual one?

Thanks in advance!
SailorTNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 14:32   #2
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39
Re: A few questions

The first thing that comes to my mind reading your questions is to recommend the very complete manual embedded into OpenCPN ( --> The "?" button gives access)

More about your "first stumble stones":

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorTNT View Post

2. This is a question about the interface in general - is there any way to quickly switch which maps are active in the display? It's very frustrating to wait for the NOAA ENC charts to re-load whenever I want to move the screen a little bit. Would be great to switch the ENCs off, move to wherever I intend, and then switch them back on.
Two points here.
The first time you access some region or area on the canvas, the raw charts will be converted into a OpenCPN optimized format. This takes time. You can trigger a complete conversion in advance. -->Manual

Switching between chart group or selections --> Manual

Quote:
3. Finally - I like using the chart downloader, but is there a way to select all the files within a directory to download, as opposed to clicking the checkbox on each individual one?
Right click when hovering over the window. "Select all" is one option.
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2018, 14:35   #3

Re: A few questions

Great start! Thanks so much!
SailorTNT is offline   Reply With Quote