Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2016, 18:52   #23

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Seeking Financial Advisor specializing in early retirement

Hey OP,

There has been an incredible out of good information posted on here.

I would highly recommend reading jlcollinsnh stock series and boggle heads.

I am only 26 and my SO is 23, however we are sitting on a nice piggybank of money, not millions by any means but enough to significantly boost our FIRE ability and be set for life if it is invested right. We received it about 7 years ago due to a series of unfortunate events. Due to the age when we received it, we invesyed it with a family members stock broker(2010) and held it with him until 2014.

He had generated enough returns to cover his fees(% based) and pay for my SO share of bills for the 4 years while she was in college. He was a stock broker, and when we would meet with him, he would often make this very clear. Every time Wed meet, he'd often spew the same crap over and over. It was obvious he had a schpeial that he'd tell people.

Well 2015 was a new year for us, we dumped him when we realized stock brokers do not have any fiduciary responsibility(legally) and due to the market timing, we figured it was time.

I don't like name dropping businesses(unless specifically asked) however we transitioned to a fee only registered investment advisor(RIA). All RIA's are in a db that is publically available, for free, and all of them by law fall under the fiduciary responsibility. IE: they are required to do things that are in your best interest.

I have been very happy with the way our advisor has been, granted performance has been mediocre due to the market itself being pretty stagnant. I review the account monthly at minimum and my mentality aligns with theirs so I am happy with the way we are positioned.

To give you an idea, my SO want to be FIRE in the next 15-18 years, our combined income is in the 6 figure range. We live reasonable, though we are working on reducing expenses to better our savings. We have told our advisor our plans, and they know we want to take 1-3 year sabbatical starting 2020 at the latest. As such we have 70% dedicated towards long term high risk/reward strategy, while 30% is stuffed in an account to preserve capital for our sabbatical leave. This 30% not expected to grow much and is positioned so we have cash on hand for special cases like if we maybe buy house or medical issues, and if we choose to set sail, it will be the funds we have for the trip.

I would be happy to name drop their website, either here or in a PM. I would just recommend finding only RIA's to work with, meet them, talk to them(often it's free) and go with who you believe has similar mindsets and concepts as you.

Note: i have no gains from providing their info except for the fact that I've been a customer for a year and have been satisfied with their service and will continue to stand by them.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, retirement