Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 02:13   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Repowering 28' Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
BETA are straight-up industrial engines with the marine cooling system hung on. This means that parts are plentiful, ubiquitous and cheap.
TrentePieds
Plus the diesel will provide hours of electrical charging and hot water, nice to have on long stays on board.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:50   #17

Boat: Liberty 28

All responses in this thread have been valid and excellent. Appreciate it. I thought I was going to be "burnt at the stake" for even considering an outboard for this boat.

Right now things lean towards the inboard option but from comments, I am convinced an outboard is not far fetched and still an option. I will need to check that "wallet", and put things in a balance, see which way it leans.

Sincere thanks to all! further comments much appreciated.
commander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:59   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander500 View Post
All responses in this thread have been valid and excellent. Appreciate it. I thought I was going to be "burnt at the stake" for even considering an outboard for this boat.
We were waiting to see if you actually did fit an outboard before passing sentence, Spanish Inquisition style

Does it need to be a new diesel engine? there is a regular supply of small diesels in the UK on the second hand market, the US/Carib must also have something similar. Cheap and in the 20hp range would be a Volvo 2020 built by Perkins and marinised by Volvo, spares available the world over.

How about this? VAT refund might cover most of the shipping cost.

https://www.marineenterprises.co.uk/engine/other-/824

https://www.marineenterprises.co.uk/...ta-md-2020/778
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:58   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Pete, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Given the double end, a motor mount would need to be off one side.

The design originally had an MD11C, 15hp. That’s probably a pretty reasonable size, inboard or outboard.

In you go the outboard route make sure to get a HighThrust model (ProSail on Tohatsu). Same prime mover but the gearing and props are different so you get more thrust at displacement speeds. Most outboards are geared and propped for dinghy planing speeds and sacrifice significant efficiency pushing heavy boats at displacement speeds. Most also have an alternator. My Tohatsu 6hp has an alternator.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 17:13   #20

Boat: Liberty 28

Yeah, I expected a Carib style inquisition, really. Had to think hard before posting.

Here in Puerto Rico, sources for Bekie (is that what they call Westerbekes somewhere?) parts, are few. After the hurricanes I guess people came in and cleaned up whatever resources were available (cheap touch and go). We got the engine torn apart and are looking for sources for a repair kit. The engine looks clean though the "stuck" piston rings evidence a long time without use. My idea of looking at an outboard alternative came upon me feeble mind, after I (5'10", 210 lbs, healthy 62 yr old beer bellied creature) had to endure the work of prepping the engine for pull-out down there in (see my other post - "black hole") the blackhole.

I am a sailor, not a motor sailor but where I am its either east or west, and so motoring is convenient at some point during any cruise.

If anyone has any photos of any setup for an outboard such as the one I am looking at (double ender), they will be appreciated. Still leaning to making the inboard work - less beer?

Thanks to ALL!!!!
commander500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 18:09   #21

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

If going ahead with the outboard idea, as someone else suggested a well is usually the best solution. Click Me : James Baldwin of Atom Voyages in Georgia has done a few of these, including the ability to tilt the motor up when sailing, and has made a video showing the job taking place. Suggest it's worth a look.
Old 09-09-2020, 18:14   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

The Sea Pearl 21 sailboat had an option for a small outboard mount on transom hung rudder. The Sea Pearl is a canoe stern sailboat.

This being said, a small outboard on hung on the side of the rudder would allow some motoring to be done. The strength of the rudder pintels and gudgeons should be evaluated as to how much force could be utilized. An outboard mount on the side of the rudder would not look as awkward as a stern hung mount.

The advantage of an outboard is the increase of interior storage space being freed up by the removal of the diesel engine, fuel tank, starting battery and other related engine gear.

Something to be considered, however unusual the concept.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 20:42   #23

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
If going ahead with the outboard idea, as someone else suggested a well is usually the best solution. Click Me : James Baldwin of Atom Voyages in Georgia has done a few of these, including the ability to tilt the motor up when sailing, and has made a video showing the job taking place. Suggest it's worth a look.
Actually he's done quite a few, more than 10, perhaps 20.
His installation is dependent on there being an overhanging stern behind the rudder. His system works very well for boats with that arrangement.

The OPs boat has a transom hung rudder so it wouldn't be candidate for Baldwin's arrangement.

Whenever I get a bigger boat I intend to install a motorwell with his arrangement.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 21:25   #24

Worse than transom-hung. She's hung on a STERNPOST with a gudgeon/pintle at the very bottom of the keel!

An O/B in a well just isn't an option on this boat, nor is contriving to hang the O/B on frame behind the rudder. For an O/B there is only one viable option, and that is the kluge on the side of the hull!

An who wants that?

Anyway before you finish spending money on anything like that, your costs would be WAY-AY-AY above the cost of fixing the Westie or installing a brand new BETA20, which, apart from being cheaper than any kluge, is also a far, far superior solution to your problem.

To get at the back end of the beast so you can align it properly with the shaft, bite the bullet and make an access hatch in the cockpit floor. It's cheap. It's efficacious. I wish I had one. I'm to old to be playing at contortionists in sundry lockers :-)!

There is lots of literature on how to do a roll-yer-own. So, sez I, just bite the bullet. At least that's what I would do.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:32   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

My OB is off the centerline, right next to the stern-hung rudder. As long as the rudder won't hit the prop, it's OK. There is no discernible difference in handling--I could have put it on the other side if the arm were opposite. Across from the engine (on the other side of the rudder), is my Sailomat windvane. I bought that one because you CAN mount it off centerline, and I didn't want brackets going way aft of the rudder. Boat's got to look good.
There was a french guy who circumnavigated an engineless Alberg, then for coastal cruising fixed a side-mounted engine bracket on a long hinged arm. It seemed to work, and a friend replicated it with success. I think the boat was "Southern John," or "Soapy Jean," but in French.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:43   #26

Boat: Bristol 27

Any pictures of your stern? (that shows the bracket and the windvane autopilot?)

If I bought a windvane autopilot, I'd need to mount it off center due to my outboard bracket.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:12   #27

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I'm with the 'stick with what you got' crowd, unless there's something seriously wrong with an ancillary, Westerbeke-supplied part. The base motor for the W27 (also the Sole Mini 34 [and who knows what else]) is a Mitsubishi K4D; complete rebuild kits (brgs, gskts, liners, pistons, etc.) are available for as little as 450.00 USD, and maybe less.

https://diesel-engine-parts.com/prod...rmarket-parts/
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:51   #28

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Hope you can rebuild the WB. Otherwise get, if possible, a new identical diesel and if not possible, a 20HP diesel, Beta, Yanmar or Volvo Penta.

I don’t think an outboard is a viable option for offshore cruising (including the Caribbeans), although a much cheaper option. - for multiple reasons; the prop position will be too high and behind the rudder (Poor control especially with a long keel), unsafe (and may stall) in high seas, apart from the risk in holding gas.

Guess the bad diesel engine has been considered in the purchase price and that you have spared the budget for a refit, including a new Diesel engine.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:17   #29
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Beta 20. it's even painted red like the Westerbeke
Old 10-09-2020, 07:38   #30

For local sailing an outboard is ok. For real cruising not. That's a cool boat, please keep it that way.
My 30 ft boat was difficult to service the engine, I installed a Freeman aluminum opening hatch, water tight, in the cockpit floor. Best thing I ever did, I could sit in there and work, plenty of day light too!

-An outboard will come in and out of the water in wind waves,
-It will require carrying highly flammable gas instead of diesel,
-it will be difficult to control unless you buy one with electric start, tilt and cockpit controls.
-By the time you pay for all that, you could have your diesel.
-it will put weight on the stern increasing hobby horsing.
-a diesel will provide other things like power generation etc also.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, repower, sail, sailboat