Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2021, 15:10   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: My 3 Freedoms 28 35 and 44 Cat Ketches
Generate HIN

I need to generate a Hull Identification Number or HIN in order to obtain insurance for my Freedom 35. It was apparently built in the UK and has the hull id number 023. Has anyone had experience generating a hull id for a boat built overseas?
Old 19-06-2021, 15:51   #2

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy
Re: Generate HIN

I have one home-built watercraft that needed a HIN to get licensed as it was over 9 feet liong. It was #2 in a series. So the DNR folks just had me add leading zeros until I had enough digits to not cause an error in the database field. Year, make, and length were also noted in the application. So maybe ask what the requirements are for length and characters and make up something that encompasses what information you have.
Old 19-06-2021, 15:54   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Dunno about the USA but here in Australia if your vessel does not have a formal HIN, you can go a HIN provider, pay some money and receive a formal HIN. The HIN provider fixes two required HIN plates to the vessel and generates the required paperwork.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 18:33   #4

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

When I built both my boats, I was asked to provide a hin number, so I made them up. As the response above mentioned, I just used the common format. This was in the state of Washington for the first, then Wisconsin for the second.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote