Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2020, 05:26   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: VHF Radio

Both the standard horizon and icom remote mic setups are good. The standard horizon stuff is slightly cheaper in most cases.

I'd definitely go with a fixed mount. The bigger antenna provides a ton of extra range. It's line of sight, so higher antenna means more range as well, so a masthead mount with good cable is best.

Personally, I'm a big fan of having 2 vhfs in busy areas. A handheld will do for the second unit if a second fixed mount and antenna isn't reasonable. Typically, I'll keep one unit on 9/16 dual watch and the other on 13. This may change if I'm in an area with VTS that I want to monitor. When switching to a working channel I may or may not change the channel that's being dual watched with 16, depending on what's going on at that time and how quiet things are.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 05:33   #17

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
If I got a fixed radio it would be installed at the chart table (down below) I assume from reading your post I can get a WiFi microphone?

Both. Fixed radio for range, hand-held for back-up.

Radio down below is useless... or at least you need a remote mic at the helm.

Can't count the number of times I've tried to hail boaters who have a fixed radio down below somewhere... but can't hear it from the helm, can't answer a hail without leaving the helm, etc.

-Chris
Old 25-10-2020, 06:43   #18

Boat: Norseman 447

I’ve used various SH radios for years with their various remote microphones in the cockpit. I ended up with the big GX5000 commercial radio below decks and the handset type remote. The deciding factor was that the radio had lots of auxiliary functions: loudhailer, horn, AIS, DSC, etc. On the smaller radios, accessing these functions required multiple button pushes through several levels of menus displayed on a small screen. The bigger radio, with a full keypad and similar telephone-like handset lets you get to the functions more quickly and easily.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Both. Fixed radio for range, hand-held for back-up.

Radio down below is useless... or at least you need a remote mic at the helm.

Can't count the number of times I've tried to hail boaters who have a fixed radio down below somewhere... but can't hear it from the helm, can't answer a hail without leaving the helm, etc.

-Chris

A fixed radio down below may well be the best option in foul weather with a full crew, and don't forget the possibility of being a relay station in a Mayday situation. It may be necessary to be at the radio warm and dry and focused just on that for a long time.
A portable is a good addition to what, to me, is the A1 option of a fixed radio with a masthead antenna and a cockpit command mic.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf, hf radio, radio