Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2023, 05:42   #16

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: VHF License?

To follow-up, if a recreational boater in the USA decides he needs a SHIP STATION LICENSE from the FCC, the process of applying is a bit complicated.

I describe the process in an article I wrote in 2011, when I first applied for a Ship Station License. See

https://continuouswave.com/forum/vie...p=39392#p39392

When applying for a ship station license, you can also apply for an FCC-issued Maritime Mobile Service Identity or MMSI.

One advantage of having an ship station license issued by the FCC is your ship station will appear in the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) SHIP STATION LIST.

This sharing by the FCC with the ITU means that when operating in foriegn waters, the associated national rescue coordination center will have access to information about the vessel and its owner. This may be helpful in coordinating search and rescue acitivities in the event of transmitting a DISTRESS ALERT via Digital Selective Calling (DSC) while outside of the USA.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 05:55   #17

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I have yet to receive a DSC alert that was not a false alarm, but if you have the license and are registered with the FCC it does seem to work well to alert the authorities to exactly who you are. Just the other day the VHF suddenly blared the DSC alert and almost instantly the Coast Guard came on VHF Channel 16 and called the boat by name on the radio and they sheepishly admitted it was a false alarm. But, they were then asked for all sorts of information and told they had to file some report. Another time I came back to my boat and I could hear the alarm blazing away from a long distance. Apparently with my radio nothing stops the alarm from just blaring away forever until the skipper either turns off the radio or pushes the button.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:01   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I have yet to receive a DSC alert that was not a false alarm, but if you have the license and are registered with the FCC it does seem to work well to alert the authorities to exactly who you are. Just the other day the VHF suddenly blared the DSC alert and almost instantly the Coast Guard came on VHF Channel 16 and called the boat by name on the radio and they sheepishly admitted it was a false alarm. But, they were then asked for all sorts of information and told they had to file some report. Another time I came back to my boat and I could hear the alarm blazing away from a long distance. Apparently with my radio nothing stops the alarm from just blaring away forever until the skipper either turns off the radio or pushes the button.
The false alarms are caused by the total lack of education, ignorance of recreational sailors in the US and other, large parts in the world.

You don’t have that in Europe, where sailors actually pass exams for their operator certificates and the Americans that make it across the ocean are the ones who do know how it works.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 07:54   #19

Boat: Morgan 382

continuouswave covers it well. There is a lot in information.

The important takeaways:
A recreational boat does not need a license if it is operating exclusively in US waters, and will not communicate outside the US. If you are on a boarder and might contact Mexico, Canada, or the Bahama's, you need a license. If you ever leave the US, you need a license.

An MMSI is issued with a license. As a cheaper alternative, several organizations (BoatUS, Power Squadron, and I think one other) are authorized to issue an MMSI with the same US water restriction as not needing a license.

Of note, changing the MMSI programmed into all of your equipment can be expensive and difficult. Do not get a BoatUS MMSI thinking you can get an FCC license later. You will regret that decision when the time comes to change the MMSI in your equipment.

My opinion is that if you boat is in salt water, get the license. While not strictly required by law if you stay in the US, there is always a chance that you or a later owner will take the boat out of the country. And, (my opinion) the exemption is really intended for all the boats in freshwater lakes, not coastal and ocean going vessels.
Old 08-09-2023, 07:57   #20

Boat: Catalina 30

No license for USA. Yes if taking the boat outside of the USA.

MMSI number (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) needs to be registered for the unit if you want to use some of the features the newer VHF's have like DSC (digital select calling), and the more important "Distress Call" button to declare a fire/mayday etc.

Assigning an MMSI number identifies your boat in the system when you call for help..

As the MMSI number is assigned to the physical boat, if you sell the boat the VHF will usually go with it.

My two cents

cheers
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 08:08   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
A recreational boat does not need a license if it is operating exclusively in US waters, and will not communicate outside the US. If you are on a boarder and might contact Mexico, Canada, or the Bahama's, you need a license. If you ever leave the US, you need a license.

A fact to consider is that the countries mentioned are similarly license-by-rule/license-exempt for their own local boats. The licensing requirements in statute in all these countries are there to implement treaty requirements, and are rarely if ever enforced for noncommercial boats from nearby countries.
Old 08-09-2023, 08:21   #22

Boat: Cascade 42

I recently got the FCC licence and MMSI number (2 weeks ago). The process was actually easy once I found the online form 605. It did take a free FCC resistration step, then you can access the forms and payments online. It took 1.5 days from sumbition to getting a certificate. Cost was ~$160 for 10yrs.

BoatUS will provide a free MMSI number for members. This is a domestic only number.

Depending on your equipment, you may be able to change the MMSI yourself. I was able to change it on a standard horizon GX2000, I had to request a reset from them, and they sent a code to input in the radio. I think that took 2 days to get back from SH.
pdx_sailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:09   #23

I sense that the real reason for 'getting a license' is being missed in all the talk of satisfying 'Rules and Regs'.

Essentially, the VHF radio frequencies allocated for maritime ( ships 'n yotties ) use are intended for Maritime Safety. This is by international agreement. The system is intended to be administered by each nation-state for the good - no, safety - of all water users.

It is not intended/provided as a 'chat service' or for arranging a table at a waterside restaurant....

It is clearly desirable that you/we/us can CORRECTLY send both a 'Distress Message' and an 'Urgency Message' when genuinely needed - and also understand what's being communicated when one is being received.

Just think on it - you have a truly Distress situation and need to shout for urgent help. The only person who receives your VHF call is a Sri Lankan or Filipino seaman on the bridge of a freighter some miles away. He will NOT have English as his first language and will expect an Emergency Message to come in the specific format and sequence that he was taught, thousands of miles and some years away.

If you get the message procedure wrong, chances are high he'll misunderstand. Chances of you getting the aid you need quickly are low.

So it's very much in your interest to know and understand how to do it right.
notoldbilbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 00:14   #24

Boat: Koopmans Sentijn 37IQ

Here in Europe - you are required to acquire a ship station license for your vessel if it holds one. You only can obtain one of the flag state of your vessel. You beter obtain one if you cruise around Europe. You can do without one if you only remain inland - but you definitely want to install one to haul bridges, locks or marina s. The ship license comes in general with an annual fee. Next to that you need qualifying for an operator license. That comes with an exam for which you pay a one off exam fee.
wibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 03:36   #25

Here is Asia a VHF license is not required for pleasure boats equipped with a Marine VHF. HOWEVER, based on recent visiting yacht reports, increasingly, Asian countries are insisting that you have an MMSI if you pass through their territorial waters <12NM from the coast - Philippines not yet but Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand require a registered MMSI and I believe this also applies to Australia and New Zealand.

Probably so they can employ more AI to monitor vessel traffic and thus decrease the number of warm-bodies otherwise required to investigate offshore transits. Unless of course they are concerned about the increased opportunities for deception by smugglers.
alitaptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 06:30   #26

Continuouswave did a good job at explaining things! I just want to comment on the reason for all the fine details. The US is a party to a lot of treaties, conventions, etc. By doing this the US agrees that it will do certain things, like requiring licenses for using radios. So, to get around the problem, they grant a blanket license (licensed by rule) for some things. Now notice when you communicate with a foreign vessel or go to another country, the "licensed by rule" doesn't work anymore. So, you have to get an actual license for your radio station and yourself as the operator. Also, you might note that Marine Single Sideband is not "licensed by rule". This is probably because you have a high chance of talking to a "foreign station".
marti972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, vhf