Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2021, 18:51   #1

Boat: Not an owner.
VHF Channels for Non-Emergency Use

Despite trying various searches, I could not find any answer to the following:

What are the channels to use on a marine VHF radio for occasional "private" ship-to-shore communications?

The use case is as follows: Charter catamaran sailing around USVI and BVI, equipped with a VHF radio; additional handheld VHF radios onboard. Would like to be able to communicate with (part of) the crew onshore while at anchor or on a mooring. No excessive chatting, but (for instance) at the beach, requesting a dinghy to return from the ship to pick up sun-bathers, or on the ship, requesting the crew to return aboard, etc. Clearly, non-emergency, private use. (Yes, I know this is not "private" in the sense that the frequency is shared).

The goal is not to interfere with any channels reserved for emergecy comms, or "official" business (port authorities, ship-to-ship, commercial, Coast Guard, etc.), so for example, Ch16 would not be appropriate... (or is it, to initiate?)

Thank you,

A.

P.S. If the rules are different in the U.S. inland, I would like to know that too.
ancz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 19:11   #2
cruiser

Re: VHF Channels for Non-Emergency Use

Hola,

In the PNW of the USA we usually just use 68 or 69 for such tasks. Never had a problem over many many years of doing so and have never been scolded by the USCG like you often hear on 16 or 14 which is VTS in the Puget Sound region.

Wherever you happen to go, or be, you should be able to find similar “working” frequencies although they may not be the same “channels” on your tuner.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2021, 19:17   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

In the USA, for channels you can use, choose any of the "noncommercial" entry here: https://www.fcc.gov/ship-radio-stations. The FCC classifies the use you describe as "associated ship units," the rules for them are in 47 CFR 80.115.

You are allowed to use 16 for calling and to coordinate a switch to another channel. This allows your vessel to maintain a listening watch on 16 while still being able to be reached by your shore party.

The details of the regulations vary from one country to the next but actual practice is roughly similar.
Old 31-08-2021, 02:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ancz.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 04:28   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I use a label maker to make a short list of non-commercial working channels, and stick that near the radio, along with the vessel's name and/or call sign. That way the operator only has to glance at the radio to pick a (legal) channel to switch to.

That said, there are different channels in different countries, and more importantly, different local customs everywhere. For example, in many places on the US East Coast, recreational boaters will "switch up one" from channel 16 and use 17 as a working channel, even though it's not legal for this use. No-one seems to care.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 04:31   #6

If, as you say, you are chartering, query the charter company as to LOCAL custom, which varies.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 04:39   #7

Here's the most recent thread on this topic:

Which VHF Channel to Use for On-Boat Operations
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-254568.html

Not surprising you couldn't find it. This Member was interested in using the "non-emergency channel" for anchoring...

Oh, and as wrong as it is, the local practice in the BVIs, for what it's worth, you'll often hear people just use Channel 16. I do NOT condone it, but you'll find it common.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 06:01   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

I don't believe it is legal to use a marine radio on shore in the USA unless you have a special license, regardless of the channel.
Old 31-08-2021, 06:03   #9

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I don't believe it is legal to use a marine radio on shore in the USA unless you have a special license, regardless of the channel.

You are correct- it is not legal.
Old 31-08-2021, 06:54   #10

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
You are correct- it is not legal.

The rules changed several years ago, see https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/80.115

In essence you're limited to one watt and can only communicate with your own boat and other shore parties from your boat. You are required to be near the water's edge. The change codifies the real-world practices that had been tacitly tolerated for years.

A review of actual enforcement actions is insightful. The FCC has been cracking down on use of marine radios for activities wholly and entirely unrelated to marine activities of any kind. One enforcement action involved a group of hunters using 25 watt marine radios installed in trucks/jeeps near the Mississippi River, on a predictable basis every year, on channel 16, and interfering with commercial barge traffic. I recall a $10,000 fine.

Another enforcement action involved a hunting club in Vermont that, again, had marine radios in all their vehicles, and used them for routine coordination on their grounds. These actions have been widely publicized and have resulted in many land-based users removing marine radios that they had chosen for convenience and cost reasons. Most have switched to, and obtained licenses for, business band radios.

I have been unable to find records of any enforcement action involving use of marine VHF radios for any purpose related to recreational boating. In fact I have been unable to find records of enforcement action against permanent, fixed stations operating without authorization at smaller marinas and resorts -- of which there are many.

Nearly all FCC enforcement falls into one of two categories: 1) ongoing interference with licensed services (extra points if it's deliberate or if the licensed services are safety related), and 2) unauthorized operation of broadcast stations in the am/fm broadcast band.
Old 31-08-2021, 09:18   #11

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Channel 69 is designated as the pleasure channel by the FCC. Someone at the FCC is laughing their arse off.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 11:44   #12

Boat: Norseman 447

Outside the US, it’s largely unregulated. Non-Marine users frequently use Marine VHF radios for whatever purposes because they’re relatively available, cheap and easy to use. Most jurisdictions have neither the time, money or inclination to chase after people who don’t comply with the rules. Where I’m at, the several marinas all use different channels by custom. You’ll be an irritant if you want to tie them up, but that’s all. Pass recipes for your cookout on the Vessel Traffic System channel and you might get someone's attention.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 11:53   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Outside the US, it’s largely unregulated. Non-Marine users frequently use Marine VHF radios for whatever purposes because they’re relatively available, cheap and easy to use. Most jurisdictions have neither the time, money or inclination to chase after people who don’t comply with the rules. Where I’m at, the several marinas all use different channels by custom. You’ll be an irritant if you want to tie them up, but that’s all. Pass recipes for your cookout on the Vessel Traffic System channel and you might get someone's attention.

Only true in certain third world areas.

In Europe, marine VHF traffic is better regulated and procedure is much better than in the U.S., possibly because you have to have a real license, which have you to pass an actual test to get, to operate.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 12:30   #14

Boat: Norseman 447

"Only true in certain third world areas." The whole world isn't run like the US and Europe. Most countries don’t have the time or the money, even if they had the desire, to have the overweening government intrusion and management that you see in the "first world." Even in those cases where a country decides to imitate the "first world" laws and regulations, it’s often only for theatrical purposes, politicians being the same all over. Enforcement is often spotty or inconsistent.

And the basic attitude is often different. In the US or Europe, if there’s a hole in the sidewalk and I fall into it, the answer will be "Why didnt you watch where you were going," rather than "Who’s fault is it?"
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 13:53   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
"Only true in certain third world areas." The whole world isn't run like the US and Europe. Most countries don’t have the time or the money, even if they had the desire, to have the overweening government intrusion and management that you see in the "first world." Even in those cases where a country decides to imitate the "first world" laws and regulations, it’s often only for theatrical purposes, politicians being the same all over. Enforcement is often spotty or inconsistent.

And the basic attitude is often different. In the US or Europe, if there’s a hole in the sidewalk and I fall into it, the answer will be "Why didnt you watch where you were going," rather than "Who’s fault is it?"

In Europe you sue the local council

Tags
emergency, enc, vhf