Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2021, 14:13   #16

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Re: VHF Channels for Non-Emergency Use

In Oz frequency use is broken down thus:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210901_070647.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	244552  
tpkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 15:20   #17

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

In the area of Australia I know about "marine" radios are just a helm decoration. Nearly everyone just use their phones or the basic radio that truckies & 4WD clubs use.
In fact the ferry operators (for cars to cross the River Murray) use Ch19.
No license required.

https://www.bestboatreport.com/are-m...dios-the-same/
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 15:27   #18

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
In the area of Australia I know about "marine" radios are just a helm decoration. Nearly everyone just use their phones or the basic radio that truckies & 4WD clubs use.
In fact the ferry operators (for cars to cross the River Murray) use Ch19.
No license required.

https://www.bestboatreport.com/are-m...dios-the-same/

Definitely not true “in the area of Australia that I know about”!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 17:17   #19

Boat: Pearson 365

In general, in the US 68,69,71,72, and 78A are all ok for non-commercial use. Just pick one and agree. No need for your use case to use 16 for calling. Many radios have “dual-watch” or similar; you can monitor 16 and your working channel on one radio (the radio switches to 16 automatically if there is any traffic).
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 17:57   #20

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
Oh dear...

Check out: https://www.acma.gov.au/marine-radio-qualifications

before posting this stuff, will you?

Quote:
"You must be qualified to operate a marine radio."

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 23:05   #21

Boat: Dix 38

For very little money you can buy walkie talkie non-marine radios. And you can get more than two of them, all tuned to the same channel. No license required, fully mobile and the shore party aren’t stuck within listening range of the vhf.
Might not have the range, if that’s an issue.
Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 03:46   #22

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pole View Post
For very little money you can buy walkie talkie non-marine radios.
I have a pair of handheld radios which support both Marine VHF and GMRS bands. We carry them ashore all the time. They don't get a lot of use, but it's always good when you can have one device which serves two functions.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:31   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I have a pair of handheld radios which support both Marine VHF and GMRS bands. We carry them ashore all the time. They don't get a lot of use, but it's always good when you can have one device which serves two functions.

I've never seen such a thing -- link? That sounds cool. Is it this? https://uniden.com/products/atlantis...and-gmrs-radio

I have a 5 watt Icom amateur handy talky which I've programmed for PMR446 and marine VHF, but otherwise never seen a radio which did both.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:43   #24

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

In the US, you've got channels 68, 69, 71, 72 (ship to ship only), and 78A available for use as non-commercial working channels. In the Great Lakes, you also have 79A and 80A (they're non-commercial in the Great Lakes, but commercial elsewhere in the US).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:48   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

The OP’s question was Caribbean charter based.

The charter Company should have a radio operator card on board. Ask if you don’t find one.

The emergency channel may vary island to island. Usually 16. You should not use the emergency channel for hailing in the harbor. It is used when under way or for reaching the CG or SAR.

The usual hailing Chanel is 68. Varies by island. Quickly switch to an open channel when you find your party.

Some businesses such as marinas monitor one of the so called public channels. It’s worthwhile to get or make up a list so you don’t tie up these channels.

We use DSC a lot. You can check for an open public channel and then DSC hail your friend or a friend list. The target radio(s) alert loudly and switch automatically to the selected channel when picked up. This sort of keeps your conversation a little less than a public party line and keeps the normal hailing channel open.

The biggest radio abusers are the Venezuelan fishing boats. They will hail on 68 and never leave or stop talking for long periods of time. They absolutely ignore all requests, English or Spanish, to switch.

When you sail into a harbor where you don’t know the plan just try 68 and ask for the monitored channels. Someone will direct you to an open channel and help. Also ask if there is a cruiser’s net. Often there is a designated time and channel, usually morning, for news, chat, calls for assistance, local businesses etc. Use radio high power for the net. During COVID curfews we had virtual happy hour discussing the day’s tasks and current drink in hand. We sometimes find a local radio card at a marina or chandlers with all of the frequency information needed.

Use the low power setting of you radio when you can.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:05   #26

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've never seen such a thing -- link? That sounds cool. Is it this? https://uniden.com/products/atlantis...and-gmrs-radio

I have a 5 watt Icom amateur handy talky which I've programmed for PMR446 and marine VHF, but otherwise never seen a radio which did both.
There was an FCC rule change a few years ago that disallowed manufacturing and sales of new radios that combine GMRS with any other service, so new radios with those features are no longer available. (Under the new rules, the FRS channels overlap with the GMRS channels so GMRS radios do both without running afoul of the new rules)

The rule change was meant to discourage casual use of marine frequencies for non-marine purposes.

As was pointed out far upthread, FRS/GMRS allocations and equipment are USA-specific. Canada, Mexico, and Brazil do have FRS allocations but do not allow the higher power that makes GMRS useful. USA-spec GMRS radios are technically unlawful in these countries. Europe doesn't allow any use of GMRS at all.

A major benefit of marine radio is that the frequency use and equipment requirements are harmonized worldwide.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:54   #27

Boat: Not an owner.

Thank you all for an informative discusssion. I learned a lot more than I bargained for. :-)

A.
ancz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:31   #28

Boat: Ranger Tug, R-27

Here in Utah, we have a construction company using Chan 84 (public correspondence, marine operator) to conduct business with the fleet of trucks.
84 is still listed as a marine operator channel.
Trawler2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 07:34   #29

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

On the Hudson River, New York State Canal System, and Lake Champlain, it's common to hear numerous repeated calls to marinas from boaters looking for fuel, a slip, dinner reservations, etc. Much of the problem is caused by marinas having different contact channels ie: calls on 19 for a marina that monitors 74 or calls on 16 when the marina monitors 68. Much of this could be eliminated by the FCC and USCG getting together to designate a marina contact channel. The old radiotelephone channels 25-28?) which are rarely, if ever, used since cell phone use became common could be designated for this purpose.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:20   #30

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Here's the most recent thread on this topic:

Which VHF Channel to Use for On-Boat Operations
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ns-254568.html

Not surprising you couldn't find it. This Member was interested in using the "non-emergency channel" for anchoring...

Oh, and as wrong as it is, the local practice in the BVIs, for what it's worth, you'll often hear people just use Channel 16. I do NOT condone it, but you'll find it common.

LittleWing77
A lot of stores or mecardos monitor the channel. Boaters can have supplies delivered to the marina.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, vhf