Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2020, 15:11   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: Updating MMSI and AIS information on Garmin VHF

Since this is a new to you vessel, it would be a good time to rip open the electrical cabinets and find out the configuration of your data busses (0183 & 2k) before you begin mods.

Garmin VHF. Unless it is a 600 series with black box, AIS is AIS in only by way of your vhf antenna. The only modifications necessary should be correcting the data sentences (mmsi, FCC assigned call sign, GPS position source among others) for the DSC may day button. These should be programmable from the base unit.

Vesper AIS. My guess this unit is doing most if not all of the AIS In and Out work for devices on the N2K. Reprogramming it's transmit data sentences is often problematic with some requiring OEM, authorized installers or replacement for any modification (we have an ACR unit laying at home from the previous owner that required shipment to Switzerland). There are more data sentences that must be matched to the VHF programming plus additional items such as vessel name, length, beam, etc for Class B transceivers.
Most of these black box units allow some mods by way of a serial connection to their 0183 buss and PC. Suggest verifying the antenna source, and either getting a sample transmit from a nearby boat or picking up a marinetraffic report. Consider.at this time adding a stealth switch if it doesn't have one.

I can't give direction on your specific equipment. However, I hope this gives you some appreciation for the complications involved. In our Marina, I can always tell when an AIS equipped vessel is sold and reprogramming had taken place, a 40 footer turns into a 130 footer overnight as all dimensions must be metric.
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:00   #17

Boat: Catalina 400 MkII

Jparker11, Thank you for your advice. I did that and Learned a lot. The VHF is not a model with AIS and is getting the AIS I for from the Vesper black box. Knowing this I was able to get the password information from the previous owner and updated the new information. I found a website that tracks AIS info and was able to find my boat with the updated info! I also was able to change the MMSI through the US Power Squadron. All is now good! On to the next issue....

Again, thank you all for all the advice!
JCCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 21:07   #18

I recently purchased a Lagoon 45 that has Raymarine instruments. We have changed the registered ship name with AMSA in Australia and now need the AIS and Radio details altered, do we have to find a Raymarine dealer to get this done? The boat was originally purchased by a person in Spain who sailed the world before selling the boat in New Zealand, the previous owner didn’t change the name.

Cheers,
Gozza
Gozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 07:55   #19

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by japarker11 View Post
Garmin VHF...The only modifications necessary should be correcting the data sentences (mmsi, FCC assigned call sign, GPS position source among others) for the DSC may day [sic] button.
When a DSC radio sends a DSC DISTRESS ALERT broadcast, the ship station license callsign is not sent as part of the message.

DSC radios use the MMSI as the identification for polling or calling other stations, not the ship station callsigns of the other ship or of their own ship.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 08:05   #20

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 44

I bought a previously owned catamaran a few months ago and it had an Australian flag and with it came an Australian MMSI number so I had to change it. I registered everything through US coast guard and FCC and got my MMSI number and Garmin told me to take my AIS800 to a dealer to have it reprogrammed. I found a dealer very, very far away in Istanbul, so when I had to fly there for something else, I took the AIS with me. As soon as I got to the airport, 2 hours away from my marina, I got another email from Garmin telling me oh, by the way, you'll also need to take your VHF with you to the dealer to have the MMSI number updated. So now my AIS has the correct vessel info and my VHF has the correct call sign and boat name, but still has the Australian MMSI. Beyond annoyed.
Claudine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, garmin, vhf