Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2024, 05:11   #1

Boat: Grand Soleil 42
Starlink - one subscription with two hardware?

Hi there,

I am new to Starlink products and services. None of the resellers I have spoken to can give me an answer, and I have not had an answer to me email sent directly to the company.

It's simple! I need a Starlink solution onboard my sailing vessel. Starlink Roam is the right package. It will be permanently installed. Then my home - I am not happy with the current broadband provider at my home outside Oslo, Norway. A wired solution is currently not an option, we need planning permission to develop the buildings and install a permanent wired broadband solution. I am currently using mobile broadband. It's costly and very unstable. So, the question is Starlink Residential.

So, my question is, can I use the same Starlink subscription? That means one subscription shared between two hardware installations? I can't be at two places at once! There will be two fixed aerial installations; can they easily share the same subscription?
Mogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:21   #2

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage
Re: Starlink - one subscription with two hardware?

No, my understanding is that you would require 2 subscription plans. If you only intend to use one at a time your option would be to park the plan you are not using.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 05:24   #3

This was on the StarLink web site. Maybe it helps.

What is a service line?
A service line represents an association between a service address and a subscription. A Starlink must be assigned to a service line to be considered active and to receive service.

Most Subscriptions only allow 1 Starlink Terminal per Service Line. Some subscriptions, for example "Priority Mobile - 5TB", allow 2 Starlink Terminals per Service Line.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 06:31   #4
SVE

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
No, my understanding is that you would require 2 subscription plans. If you only intend to use one at a time your option would be to park the plan you are not using.
This is correct. I ran into pretty much the same issue - Originally purchased the RV/Roam dish and wanted to upgrade to the high powered dish on the boat due to my needs. Ended up keeping both sets of hardware.

They both require a SEPARATE subscription to whatever package you choose but you pay monthly and can pause a subscription. I keep the Roam dish plan paused unless I'm taking it with me off the boat for a bit, then I swap plans for a month (pause HP dish, activate Roam dish). This is what you'll need to do.
SVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 06:46   #5

Boat: Hunter 340

As others have said it is one subscription per dish. The only way to get one subscription would be to physically move the dish. This would require a bit of DIY work but you could design it so both home and boat have a network and router and the mounts and cabling in place and you simply disconnect the dish and move it to the other location. The only thing you need to move would be the dish itself.

If you don't want to do that then you need two dishes and two plans. You can pause the plan but doing so will still result in one month's service so depending on how often you switch back and forth this may not work well.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 07:02   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Yes not a different concept than having another cell phone line or an internet connection at a second house/business.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 07:06   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

No you can not have 2 terminals on one plan. You can get a mobile plan for both of them, and then pause service for whatever one you are not using.
Old 06-06-2024, 07:22   #8

Question regarding pausing an acct. Is the pause timing co-ordinated with the billing cycle? As opposed to the day your pause and restart service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVE View Post
This is correct. I ran into pretty much the same issue - Originally purchased the RV/Roam dish and wanted to upgrade to the high powered dish on the boat due to my needs. Ended up keeping both sets of hardware.

They both require a SEPARATE subscription to whatever package you choose but you pay monthly and can pause a subscription. I keep the Roam dish plan paused unless I'm taking it with me off the boat for a bit, then I swap plans for a month (pause HP dish, activate Roam dish). This is what you'll need to do.
Portage_bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 07:41   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogle View Post

So, my question is, can I use the same Starlink subscription? That means one subscription shared between two hardware installations? I can't be at two places at once! There will be two fixed aerial installations; can they easily share the same subscription?
unless it has changed recently the answer is no

your SL account is linked to the router

you could have 2 different dishes and move your router between the locations though I bet as that is easy
Old 06-06-2024, 07:53   #10
SVE

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_bay View Post
Question regarding pausing an acct. Is the pause timing co-ordinated with the billing cycle? As opposed to the day your pause and restart service.
It's based on the monthly billing cycle. So if you pause half way through, you'll still have service until that paid month is over. It just won't renew the next month. When restarting service the first month is prorated, then renews at the standard rate from there on. That's been my experience so far in the US.
SVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2024, 08:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
unless it has changed recently the answer is no

your SL account is linked to the router

you could have 2 different dishes and move your router between the locations though I bet as that is easy

It is the opposite. The account is linked to the dish. The router is just a router in fact you don't even need to use SpaceX router at all.

So you could have a router (spaceX or otherwise), cabling, and mounts at both locations and move the dish as needed.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_bay View Post
When you pause service will continue until the end of the month's cycle. So if you plan on switching plans/dishes every couple months or so this can work. If you are thinking of use the boat dish for 8 days then switch back to the house for 16 days and then back to the boat for 4 days etc it won't work.

Either you will be paying for two plans unpaused or you can try moving the dish back and forth as needed.
Old 06-06-2024, 08:34   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
It is the opposite. The account is linked to the dish. The router is just a router in fact you don't even need to use SpaceX router at all.
yes you are right now that I think more on it. I had to replace my dish and used the old router
Old 06-06-2024, 23:17   #14

no, you would have to move the antenna back and worth. but you could buy 2 cables and 2 routers and move the dish if you wanted.

you can pause and unpause the roam one but it's billed a full month. you can activate for the sumer and then pause for winter. but you can't pause / unpause for a weekend trip
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 07:57   #15

Boat: J/42

I have two dishes on one account. Seems to work fine.

I originally had a 2nd generation dishy. They were making noises like it was going to stop working for international roaming, and they had a short term deal to upgrade to a "flat high performance dish." So I did. Both dishes are shown on the account page. Usage statistics for each dish are shown.

I was going to sell the old dish on eBay, but didn't have time before I shoved off to go cruising. And they hadn't quite worked out how to transfer a used dish yet. I flew back to the US in March, fired up the old dish for a week, and it worked fine. Headed back up there next month and plan to use it for the rest of the summer.

The two dishes are located thousands of miles apart and in no case are they active on the same day. IDK if this makes a difference.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware