Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 06:30   #16

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat
Re: Standard Horizon GX1600 noisy with Fridge Compressor On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
A bridge tender let me know the vhf transmission sounded like an engine running in the background. Sure enough, with a Sea Tow test, when the compressor comes on the noise starts.
Based on this description, you are describing a modulation of your transmitted signal. Many replies in this thread attempt to offer advice on reducing interference to RECEIVED signals, which, I believe, it not your problem.

Modulation of the transmitted signal is, most likely, being caused by modulation of the DC power being supplied to the transmitter. Add filtering to the DC power wiring at the transmitter to remove the modulation on the power source. This should suppress or reduce any modulation of your transmitted signal caused by the running of the compressor motor while transmitting.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 15:26   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by continuouswave View Post
Based on this description, you are describing a modulation of your transmitted signal. Many replies in this thread attempt to offer advice on reducing interference to RECEIVED signals, which, I believe, it not your problem.

Modulation of the transmitted signal is, most likely, being caused by modulation of the DC power being supplied to the transmitter. Add filtering to the DC power wiring at the transmitter to remove the modulation on the power source. This should suppress or reduce any modulation of your transmitted signal caused by the running of the compressor motor while transmitting.

That's exactly what's happening. I can receive great, but not transmit with fridge running. What kind of filter are you talking about? I would like to buy or order one and give it a try...
Old 26-01-2017, 16:08   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Did you try the cover over the fridge module ?

Regards John Tully
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 17:03   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Did you try the cover over the fridge module ?

Regards John Tully
The only material I have onboard is a piece of aluminum flat bar that's
3/8 x 4 x 24. Kinda thick for the application, but you know what? I may just make the cuts and lay them against the controller and see if that helps. I should be back in the Miami area mid-February. That's where I'll try the filter that continuouswave is talking about. Right now I'm in the 10,000 Islands area of the Everglades...
Old 28-01-2017, 03:30   #20

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
That's exactly what's happening. I can receive great, but not transmit with fridge running. What kind of filter are you talking about?
You need to inspect the power circuit to the radio. Make sure it is fed from a distribution panel with good voltage regulation and a solid connection to the battery. Check the positive circuit and the ground. A poor connection can cause this sort of noise modulation.

Noise on 12-Volt DC power distribution circuits can be suppressed by insertion of a power line noise filter in the DC power circuit for the radio.

Perhaps something like this:

https://powerwerx.com/dc-line-noise-...ZLIBoC3VDw_wcB
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor