Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2017, 07:18   #1

LED Lighting Recommendations?

I'm upgrading my Morgan '38's lighting to LED in the Salon and forward cabin. I see there are so many options. Can anyone recommend a website to find a solid inventory to choose from?
Also, is anyone using LED strips or sticking with the dome lights?
hcambon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:22   #2

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages
Re: LED Lighting Recommendations?

Marinebeam.com is recommended by a lot of folks here.

In the cabin I'm using some DIY led lites and Sensibulbs from LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.. The Sensibulbs are 6 years old now.

I tried Dr. LED bulbs and they failed within one year. Dr. LED nav lites lasted two years.

I have some LED strips from Flex Fire LEDs, heatsinks from Super Bright LEDs, and parts for regulated power but I haven't built them yet. The cheap strips on Ebay are junk.
Old 28-01-2017, 08:29   #3

www.superbrightled.com

Great products, affordable, and fast shipping. They are who we used to update our boat to all LED.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 08:38   #4

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

I initially thought the strip lights were funky, and not what I wanted. I've since seen two boats with the strip light LEDs. Two strips were ran, one port and one starboard. Very very bright. These folks have a rolling dimmer switch on each side, to control the brightness of their lighting.

I purchased the same set up off of amazon Thursday plus four LED lights which are similar to the lights on my boat. Their the same OAL, length, and should screw right into place, and use the existing wires.

My boats still have the old style 12 volt bulbs, they work, but not well. I went with the dimmer switches for each side as I really enjoy an evening of classical music and a great book. Well kindle. I can control both sides of the boats lite as needed.

Also purchased some new led running lights, for my big boat and my lake cruising boat. The reviews are all positive, 4.1/2 out of five.

Looking forward to installing these.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:05   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I ran a strip of led lights down both sides of my boat, the kind that you peel the tape off the back and they stick like tape, cut to length.
My kids call them Limo lights, very inexpensive and they work really, really well for when I want bright lights.
Best things are they are cheap and very easily removable without leaving a mark on the boat if one day we decide they look too Ghetto.
I am searching for something better, but not found anything yet.

I have one of these and their sconse light, the sconse isn't enough light, maybe this panel will be, the wife isn't sure how it will look, however Marinebeam has a 30 day return policy
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 09:34   #6

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

10 months into Carribean cruising, EVERY ONE of my Marinebeam lights have failed. A couple failed within the first few weeks. Of course they offered to replace them, but a lot of good that is when shipping and import is almost twice the price of the lights.. Personally I would look elsewhere..

P.S. It really sucked when all three of the lights up my mast failed (red and green, then anchor, then steaming). Actually the red green light didn't fail, it caused so much interference with my VHF that our range dropped to a few hundred feet when it was turned on. Yup I could only hear boats a few slips away in teh marina!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 10:40   #7

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
www.superbrightled.com

Great products, affordable, and fast shipping. They are who we used to update our boat to all LED.
Link broken. You left out an "s" at the end:

https://www.superbrightleds.com

I've had very good luck with Dr. LED bulbs for my bayonet mount reading lights. Have not ordered anything else from them.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 10:52   #8

So I went back over to Amazon to see exactly what I purchased,

AUDEW 340mm 4.5 72 LED light bar with on off switch. X5

WENTOP water proof LED strips SMD3528 16 ft white flex rope. X2

I'm going to wire a dimmer switch Vs the on off switch.

What do you think about using tinned 12 guage, or is that two large. Just thinking at 16ft x2, with something other then the recommended 20 guage, I can be more efficient.

I'm not good at wiring, Just thinking a better guage will clean up the power flow, or do I have that ass backwards.

Thanks.

Dirk
Old 28-01-2017, 10:53   #9

I like to use amazon, it's one " click" shopping for me,,and delivered to my home. Very handy.

Dirk
Old 28-01-2017, 11:26   #10

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I installed Alpenglow reading lights and overhead lights. LED. Very good quality and lots of light. Been using them for a couple of years. Updated the look of the interior getting away from spotted brass plating, to nickel finish. Not cheap though.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 12:30   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LEDs draw so little power large gauge wire is not needed and no gain in using it
Old 28-01-2017, 12:40   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I bought strip lights from superbrightleds.com and love them. Had them for a few years now and no problems at all.

I agree with A64 that the strip lights lack a certain look of class but I found places to mount them behind trim so they aren't really visible. Gives kind of an indirect lighting effect.

I tried a couple of different colors. Warm was too yellow, cool white too blue so I installed double strips, one of each and it's perfect for me. One possible reason, I have read that LEDs, unlike other types of lights, produce light in a very narrow color temp range IE very narrow spectrum. So even if you get a shade of light you like it still can look artificial. Mixing two different light colors seems to fix that issue.

The strip lights I got are very bright but each pair on max draws about 0.8 amp, a bit more than I had hoped. Dimmed down just a little cuts that a lot. They also sell a remote control dimmer that's very handy but I found the same unit on eBay for less.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 13:19   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
10 months into Carribean cruising, EVERY ONE of my Marinebeam lights have failed. A couple failed within the first few weeks. Of course they offered to replace them, but a lot of good that is when shipping and import is almost twice the price of the lights.. Personally I would look elsewhere..

P.S. It really sucked when all three of the lights up my mast failed (red and green, then anchor, then steaming). Actually the red green light didn't fail, it caused so much interference with my VHF that our range dropped to a few hundred feet when it was turned on. Yup I could only hear boats a few slips away in teh marina!
This is very strange and troubling. Is your boat power 12V or 24V? My Marinebeam bicolor light works fine and puts out no significant interference. I've got the equipment to measure this.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 13:28   #14

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Very similar to others, I installed Sensibulbs in the dome lights and LED strips with adhesive backing for the indirect lighting option. We really like the ability to dim the strip lights.

One big advantage to the Sensibulbs (but a little hard to describe) is that the bayonet bulb socket adapter allows you to rotate the LED to align it so that it is horizontal. Without that feature the LED may be at an angle in the fixture, resulting in uneven light distribution.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 14:25   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LED Lighting Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
This is very strange and troubling. Is your boat power 12V or 24V? My Marinebeam bicolor light works fine and puts out no significant interference. I've got the equipment to measure this.

I wondered too, I have their running lights and steaming and deck light, and probably 15 or so interior bayonet bulbs. I have some condensation in my bow running lights but other than that no issues, no failures, and the interior lights match the incandescent color exactly, not the harsh blueish light you often see from LED's.
I was able to find warm white LED strip lights though, and while I have not yet mounted my HF, I have a sneaking suspicion that they and their dimmer may really be very noisy

Tags
lighting, men