Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52   #1

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
ST60 Wind transducer

I have an older style ST60 wind transducer. The speed cups never did spin since I've owned the boat and the direction vane is starting to get sticky. I pulled it down, not fun as I have a problem with heights. I found the bearings are rusty. I called Raymarine and they don't sell the "pods" anymore so I can either soak them in wd-40 and keep some oil on them or buy a new transducer. I found the new transducer is cheaper from Defender than direct but it's still $280.00. I pulled the pods out and have soaked them in wd-40 and brushed the surface rust off of the "stainless" bearings. I even locked the center shaft in a drill and ran at high speed for sometime to loosen it up. The bearings are pressed in a way that replacement is not an option.
The question is: what can I use to "keep some oil on it"? Would breakfree, or silicone, or some other lubricant work best long term?
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:06   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
I am not sure what you mean by "soaking" the transducer in WD 40. And I am not sure I would have put the thing in a drill... When I took my transducer down after 15 years (in California so in the elements all year round), removed the cups with a tiny allen wrench, squirted a little WD 40 on it, rotated the shaft a bit by hand, the crud fell way and it has worked fine for the last two years. I would not overdo the lubricants. From what the Raymarine Tech told me, the wiring has changed recently, but the basic transducer has been the same for many years.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 22:49   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I am surprised you found stainless steel and corrosion. The ones I saw were all plastic and ceramics (visible part) and manual states no lubricants at all: just soak in water. Lubricants attract dirt etc.

I would use one of those dry lube-sprays like sail-kote.

My B&G one is misbehaving too but is turning fine; I suspect contacts.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2009, 15:49   #4

Worse than you thought

The transducer that Defender sells for $250 is the Rotavecta, which is designed for powerboats. Right now it's on sale for $181, but I'm not sure how accurate it will be measuring wind at sailboat speeds, although your PDQ will no doubt go faster than my monohull!

Unfortunately, the analog ducers for sailboats cost more. Defender has the short-arm on sale for $253. It also has a service kit with the cups and feather that might work for you; see Masthead Transducer Service Kit

Good luck; I'm going to be doing something like this pretty soon myself.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote