Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2014, 12:03   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: SSB Radio Check & On-Air Evaluation Net (and DSC test calls)

FYI, I'm not sure why/how Cruiser's Forum software is editing/truncating/changing my posting???
But, somehow, when posting a link to video etc. it seems to remove/edit the text following it for a paragraph or two, and then turns the rest of the test blue!!!
Oh, and it also lists the video link twice!!

Even when I go back an edit/correct things, when it posts/displays, it still shows screwed-up....
Sorry about this, but that's happened every time I've posted a link to a video in the past few months...

So...

So, with that in mind, here is what I actually posted (that never showed), continuation of part 3 B.....immediately following the links to the video...

Quote:
And, for many, many sailors this is going to mean using a HIGHER frequency!!!
Yes, higher frequencies can have "skip zones" (where you may not have any useable communications capability), this is typically a fairly narrow range on 12mhz...
As an example, I've found daytime 12mhz groundwave comms, using vertical antennas, for paths over sea water, to be quite surprisingly long (MUCH better than using horiz antennas over land)....as much as 100 - 150 miles....and skip zones from 150 - 250 miles....
Meaning that in our applications, use of 12mhz as a primary frequency can allow comms to/from all vessels within 100 miles of you, and all vessels from 250 miles to 2500 miles from, all VERY easy....
And, vessels from 100-250 miles, and those from 2500 miles to 10,000 miles away, can be weaker or difficult....
This contrasts to using 8mhz during the daytime, using the same antenna, at the same time-of-day, etc. allowing the same excellent comms with vessels with 100 miles, extending out to all vessels within 300 miles during most of the daytime, and even vessels out to 600-800+ miles when within an hour or so of sunrise or sunset, but typically ALWAYS with higher noise levels than 12mhz and above....AND...
And until nightfall, no real long range communications of thousands of miles....

C) I do NOT wish this to become a "KISS-SSB-Ground" discussion, and I will NOT engage in that discussion here.... ('cause there is already a great deal of info/fact/test results, etc. in it's own discussion here...
Re: KISS-SSB Counterpoise )

But, I did get some rather helpful results and observations....

~~~~
~~~~

Mark,
Thanks for the clarification.....yes, this is helpful to know...
And, you whip / arch combo does work very well!!

And, just an FYI to everyone....
I did not inquire to everyone what they were using as an antenna and/or ground system....but only made note of those very strong and those very weak, both in same location and at the same time, and either asked or they volunteered what they were using.....and in those cases, it was a direct sea water connection that was strong and the KISS was weak...
Again, I do NOT wish to discuss the KISS here (and I actually gave up discussing it almost two years ago), but just thought some might find some real world, anecdotal evidence to be fun to read (as opposed to my rather lengthy and boring scientific testing results from 2 years ago...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I contacted you from Panama using 20W, and you relayed that we had a strong signal. For your records, we have neither a KISS nor a direct sea water ground system. We have a 28' free-standing whip on top of our aluminum tube bimini/arch structure with the coupler located at the base of the whip. The coupler ground is attached directly to the structure, which provides the counterpoise. Seems to work very well - the antenna lead wire from the coupler is 15" long and the coupler is connected to the arch with a 2" piece of foil.

I hope this actually posts completely, without odd edits/truncations....

Fair winds...

John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie, WDB6927
MMSI# 366933110
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, dsc, radio, ssb