Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2022, 11:28   #1
Registered User
 
Nord Sal's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: POW Alaska
Boat: Trlåren, Saltjö Dunväs, Sweden
Posts: 309
Splicing Standard Horizon RAM4 Mic Cable?

I'm installing a new remote mic for my new standard horizon vhf. The trouble I'm running into is that the ends of the cable for the remote mic are bulky and won't allow me to fish the cable in place. I can cut the cable and route the cable from both ends and then splice it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for making a splice in the remote mic cable? There are four small wires plus the shield. I'm not sure of the size of the wires, but they've got to be small, perhaps smaller than 20 AWG?

I'm now headed to the boat to give it a try without cutting the cable (preferred solution) but realize this may not be viable.

Thanks for any help
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 12:03   #2
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 8,278
Re: Splicing Standard Horizon RAM4 Mic Cable?

If it's a one-time cut & splice, and there's enough cable and boat-space that the splice can be strain-relieved,secured and protected, then the simplest is to:
  • cut the cable where you intend to later splice,
  • strip back about 2" of outer jacket and shield from each side,
  • strip about 1/4" from each insulated wire
  • twist the ends of same-colour wires together, then solder each twist
  • cover each soldered joint with a short piece of tiny heatshrink, shrink it, and immediately pinch the open end with pliers to seal it
  • for bonus marks slide a larger piece of heatshrink over the whole splice.
Do the splice inside a waterproof box with wire-glands if you need protection from weather or spray. Protect joints with dielectric grease or other protectant.


You might also consider some sort of waterproof multiconnector set close to where the remote mic will live. This would allow you to disconnect and store the mic when not needed.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 11:10   #3
Registered User
 
Nord Sal's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: POW Alaska
Boat: Trlåren, Saltjö Dunväs, Sweden
Posts: 309
Re: Splicing Standard Horizon RAM4 Mic Cable?

Thanks for the detailed reply L-E. I appreciate it. I wondered if there was something special I might have to do to maintain the shield and if there might be a special connector.

I managed to get the entire cable in place without cutting it. I was able to do some boat yoga with my hole saw. Job is complete other than securing the wire and putting a few locker shelves back in place. Remote mic works great and will be really nice to have.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 11:46   #4
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lake Ont
Posts: 8,278
Re: Splicing Standard Horizon RAM4 Mic Cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
I wondered if there was something special I might have to do to maintain the shield and if there might be a special connector.
The cable's shield wires are of course also spliced together.

As I mentioned, a multipin connector is a possibility, and the metal-jacketed ones are a bit better at preserving shielding. But I've found that the small amount of unshielded cable in the splice isn't usually a problem. The splice itself could be in a grounded metal project box, or wrapped in some foil, to preserve shielding.
Quote:
I managed to get the entire cable in place without cutting it. I was able to do some boat yoga with my hole saw. Job is complete other than securing the wire and putting a few locker shelves back in place. Remote mic works great and will be really nice to have.
For sure. Glad you sorted it out.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 11:56   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: US Eastern Seaboard
Posts: 275
Images: 1
Re: Splicing Standard Horizon RAM4 Mic Cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post
I'm installing a new remote mic for my new standard horizon vhf. The trouble I'm running into is that the ends of the cable for the remote mic are bulky and won't allow me to fish the cable in place. I can cut the cable and route the cable from both ends and then splice it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for making a splice in the remote mic cable? There are four small wires plus the shield. I'm not sure of the size of the wires, but they've got to be small, perhaps smaller than 20 AWG?

I'm now headed to the boat to give it a try without cutting the cable (preferred solution) but realize this may not be viable.

Thanks for any help
Glad you were able to fit it in without cutting/splicing. I recently spliced a RAM4 and believe there were around 10 wires all smaller than 24 awg.

Soldering that many in a confined space was too much for me. I used Solder Seal Wire Connectors (solder and heat shrink in one) and they worked well for this application.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 06:44   #6
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 19,929
Images: 3
Re: Splicing Standard Horizon RAM4 Mic Cable?

The current RAM 4 has a lot more then 4 wires. Just installed one myself connect to a nmea2000 GX1850
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Standard Horizon RAM Mic Markhunter1097 Marine Electronics 14 24-05-2021 05:58
For Sale: Like New Standard Horizon Ram3+ Remote Mic - $75 Jebrown215 General Classifieds (no boats) 1 12-03-2019 15:37
Standard horizon gx2200- noise on power down and ram mic not work. Therapi Marine Electronics 0 01-12-2018 18:30
For Sale: New Standard Horizon Ram Mic. joe Sailor Classifieds Archive 0 23-09-2014 12:12
For Sale: Standard Horizon Intrepid VHF with RAM Mic SailK2 Classifieds Archive 3 20-03-2014 18:14

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.