Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 22:26   #1

Simrad Tiller Pilot issues

Tiller pilot owners! TP22 and 32.

I’ve just got a TP22 and I’m having a nightmare getting it to work.

First a few questions. Does the rudder zero position reset every time you plug it in?

Once you have done all the compass circles and got the little beep does it need to ever be redone? Does it keep this calibration when the power is disconnected?

When sailing on a stable heading requiring very little rudder input. Like after 20min without and rudder adjustment just on standby. Then I press the auto button and she immediately goes hard over, once gybing the boat! Any idea what would cause this?

any help her would be greatly apreciated
Old 01-05-2019, 23:02   #2

Re: Simrad Tiller Pilot issues

For a bit more fuel to the fire i can get no help from simrad. no reply from the techinical department after 3 emails, no reply from the simradowners group on facebook... i dont know what to do
Old 14-05-2019, 20:26   #3

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

You do need to have the rudder centered for first entry into auto mode after power up. The circle calibration is done once.

Any chance you need to set the port/starboard parameter to match the mechanical installation? Might explain the instant gybe issue.

I find these units don't work well and are very unreliable. My rule of thumb is if there is enough sail up to get to over 3/4 hull speed, it won't steer because it cannot cope with the gusts.

Boulter
Old 15-05-2019, 05:51   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

As Boulter suggested, do you have the unit configured for a port side installation when the actual installation is starboard (or the reverse)?

Do you have the response set to too high a value?

Do you have something ferrous in your pocket when you lean over the unit to push the Stby/Auto button?

Are you using an external compass rather than the compass in the TP22 itself?

I can reset my units to their original factory state by (1) unplugging to power off, (2) pressing and holding PORT, TACK, STARBOARD, and NAV, then (3) plugging back in to power on. A few flashes and beeps follow that I can't remember right now, and all is well.

We have found the Simrad Tillerpilots to be good gear. We own a TP30 that we no longer use and a pair of TP32s that we have been using since the NMEA2000 models came out. We are quite happy with them after changing the original "professional" installation to match Simrad's recommendations. We have been living on our boat for 5 or 6 months every year for the last 12 years traveling to and from the Bahamas each year. We seldom steer by hand when traveling any distance at all.

Our only chronic problem is that they overheat in the tropical sun then suffer from heat stroke. Once cool they are OK again. Only someone from Denmark would think black is a good idea. We throw a wet cloth over them when they are in the sun and have little white jackets tailored to fit them.

In my experience Simrad's tech service has been quite helpful replacing a "bad out of the box" tillerpilot under warranty and replacing an out of warranty one I fell across and destroyed for a very reasonable price. The Simrad dealer in Oriental, NC went out of his way to discover a workable method of interfacing the TP32s with my previous Simrad CP32 MkII chartplotter.

My TP32s interface with my other Simrad instruments. They operate in NAV mode with my current NSS7 chartplotter and produce all three autopilot control screens on the IS40 display heads. They steer to wind when sailing upwind.

Keep at it. You'll figure it out.

Bill
Old 19-04-2020, 23:19   #5

Boat: Chieftain 38 - Snafu Too

I want to replace a TP32 motor with an after market one. Does anyone know the RPM and Torque of the motor.
Old 18-08-2020, 23:21   #6

I am also having issues with a Simrad TP22, 2012 vintage. Was on the boat when I bought her.

In UK we contact Simrad through Navico and they are helpful in my experience.

The TP22 has always worked perfectly when motoring as it has virtually nothing to do, it is when sails are involved things often get messy. To be fair the user manual does advise the unit is not able to anticipate which we as helmspersons do automatically. Therefore the unit is always trying to catch up, oversteering one way then the other way. Sometimes in fresh breezes it has worked perfectly if the breeze is pretty constant in speed and direction and I am sailing on the wind.

I have noted above I can perform a factory re set which I will do next time I am on the boat but I had a particular issue yesterday which has resulted in the port light continually flashing when I press the standby/auto button to auto. Just wondering if anyone knows the significance of the red flashing light, unable to find it in the manual. Unit is not working at all, apparently catastrophic failure.

Look forward to any advice.

Thanks

Mike
Old 18-08-2020, 23:30   #7

Other issues.............

I use the unit "stand alone" and put it into standby to tack. Inevitably when I re engage AUTO having tacked then need to make a course adjustment the unit confuses port and starboard. I press for 10 degrees starboard and it immediately turns to port. Most frustrating. I fix this by disconnecting then reconnecting power which has the desired effect.

May be academic as its current problem may be terminal.

Mike
Old 21-09-2022, 06:05   #8

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

I have a Navico TP used it for 25 yrs on Hunter 27. Still works fine. I keep it as a back up. I had 2 Simrad TP 32's. A step up in performance but not as durable as the Navico. The first went bad after 3 yrs (Lake Ontario, short season 4-5 months). Sent it to Simrad. They wanted. $250 upfront just to look at it. They sent me new one. The second is started making strange noises (grinding, betl slipping noises)after 6 years use. I called Simrad tech. They said do no worry about it. Not very inspiring. I then took the pilot apart and found lose drive belt. I again contacted Simrad and requested a belt. They refused and insisted I start a repair order. I then found a new belt on ebay. That improve things, but did not completely eliminate the noise. The pilot continued to work fine, but the noise was a cause for concern as I was concerned about failure. Will probably replace unit during off season.
Old 25-09-2022, 06:57   #9

One setting is as " Init(ial) Rudder " with boat configuration. This has two options as " Midships & Actual " . After pressing " Auto " - rudder will go to the centre zero position first and then to the chosen heading direction with the choice of " Midships " . Rudder can follow new chosen heading from its recent position when choice of " Actual " is chosen .

This may be your observation .
Old 25-09-2022, 07:57   #10

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
Other issues.............

I use the unit "stand alone" and put it into standby to tack. Inevitably when I re engage AUTO having tacked then need to make a course adjustment the unit confuses port and starboard. I press for 10 degrees starboard and it immediately turns to port. Most frustrating. I fix this by disconnecting then reconnecting power which has the desired effect.

May be academic as its current problem may be terminal.

Mike
It seems to me that this could be expected.

After the tack when you re-engage auto the TP thinks you are still trying to go the original course. (This may have been programmed to allow you go out of auto and "dodge" an obstacle then go back onto your course.) When you press 10 degrees starboard it thinks "10 degrees to starboard of the original course" not "10 degrees to starboard of the present course".
If the STBY/AUTO key is pressed and held, the pilot will beep a
second time and lock onto the previously used heading (this feature
will not be available if the unit has just been switched on).
If you use the "auto-tack" feature this issue should not occur.

If not using "auto tack" be careful not to press STBY/AUTO too long.
Old 28-09-2022, 19:47   #11

Boat: Hanse 348

Find mine works great when motoring. Not so great when sailing with any type of weather helm. Ok on a reach with a lighter helm.
Old 10-01-2023, 15:22   #12

Boat: Farrier Trimarran 22ft

My TP22 has a very erratic random motion. When plugged in , with the boat stationary at the dock, it quickly goes into a random erratic course correction, even though none is required. It never settles and within 30 seconds goes to full travel and I need to go to standby.
I have completed the factory rest twice, but no change. Have opened up the unit and cannot see anything visually amis. On the attached pic the wires from the compass look to be very close to each other. The compass seems to be seated OK, but my guess is that something is amis here. I am reluctant to take it to a service agent (in Aus) as I suspect the (repairs) will be more than the value.Any suggestions appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TP22 compass.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	269826  
Old 10-01-2023, 16:06   #13

Are there any magnetic fields near by ( speakers, phones, coiled cables, ipads)? If anything like these intrudes into the compass zone the compass will be upset. Does it work ok when out on the water?
Old 10-01-2023, 20:29   #14

You didn't get standby or compass needs calibration ! Perhaps , GPS reading is good .
Old 11-01-2023, 00:18   #15

Boat: Farrier Trimarran 22ft

No stray magnets about. I haven't dared try it while the boat is moving. I have another Simrad TP22 pilot and that works great. Something drastically astray with this one.
Closed Thread

Tags
simrad