Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2012, 12:52   #1

Simrad NSS Without Touchscreen

A couple of people have said they can use the NSS without the touchscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Simrad NSS gives you both options. I like it that you can "anchor" your right hand (sorry, lefties) at the upper right corner, when bashing in rough seas, and duplicate all the functions as though you were using the touch screen. And if my hands aren't yucky with fish goo, the touch screen is pretty intuitive design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug1957 View Post
The NSS can be used without the touchscreen. It's much faster with the touchscreen though. I have used the touchscreen in the rain and it works fine. Haven't tried it with gloves though.
I have an NSS 12, and for the life of me, I can't see how it can be used without touching the screen.

I've read and re-read the (pretty poor IMO) manual, but can't find ANY reference to operation without the touchscreen.

Moving the cursor, entering waypoints, scrolling the page, even checking tides... I can't see how any of these functions can be done without touching the screen.

So how do you guys do it?

If you could refer me to the page in the manual where it's described, I'd be most grateful.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 13:20   #2

Re: Simrad NSS Without Touchscreen

Does this help..... Tech Tip #4......

How-To Videos - Simrad Yachting

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2012, 13:37   #3

Thanks, but no that isn't what I was after. I'm looking more for the everyday operations - moving the cursor, positioning waypoints, scrolling across charts.

I know I can do the menu stuff without the touchscreen, but once you get it set up, you don't go back tothose pages very often.

It seems to me the rotary knob would be an excellent way to "drive" the cursor, if the NSS allows it. But I can't find any reference to doing it this way.
Old 17-12-2012, 02:42   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I'm also keenly interested in this question and waiting with bated breath for people's experiences.

I am ordering new electronics today and wavering -- at the very last minute! -- about having the B&G Z8 (non-touchscreen; analogue to Simrad NSE) at the helm, and the T8 (analogue to NSS) at the nav table, or just go with T8 in both places.

B&G are doing a huge rebate on the Z8 at the moment, and the price is almost the same as for the T8. For what they are, I think these MFD's are an outstanding bargain. You can hardly put together a decent computer for what these things cost. The Simrad NSS7 is actually under a grand now with the rebate. I'd consider fitting one in my dink if I could figure out how to mount it!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 11:36   #5

Hope you're not still holding your breath!

In the other threads I asked both these posters how they did what they claimed, and received no answer. No answer here either. And certainly there's no answer in the operator's manual.

I think maybe it's because there IS no answer, except that the NSS in reality cannot be used without touching the screen.
Old 19-12-2012, 12:44   #6

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

I have the Simrad NSE 12 which is not "touchscreen". As far as I know when I chose Simrad, I had the option of touchscreen (NSS) or non-touchscreen (NSE). They are two different models with the same capability. While sometimes I would like the convenience of touchscreen in calm flat water, if choosing again I would go for the NSE which is still intuitive and easy to operate in any sea condition, plus I don't have to clean salty finger marks off the screen.
Old 19-12-2012, 12:53   #7

I believe the NSE is being superceded though. At least that's what Navico told me!
Old 19-12-2012, 12:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Well, I decided not to take any chances. I ordered the non-touchscreen version of the Zeus -- the Z8 -- for the cockpit. And the touchscreen for below.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 13:33   #9

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Hope you're not still holding your breath!

In the other threads I asked both these posters how they did what they claimed, and received no answer. No answer here either. And certainly there's no answer in the operator's manual.

I think maybe it's because there IS no answer, except that the NSS in reality cannot be used without touching the screen.

Can't your supplier help out??

Hope you have success sorting it out.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 13:55   #10

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
I believe the NSE is being superceded though. At least that's what Navico told me!
Won't everything you buy now be superceded at some point, particularly electronic gadgetry? At least when I purchased it (6 months ago), I think it could do everything that the NSS could, it's just not touchscreen. Maybe being superceded could be a good bargaining chip for a better price on some old stock.
Old 23-12-2012, 12:04   #11

I was dealing direct with Navico. They said they didn't have any stock.

Tags
simrad