Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2012, 18:55   #1

Boat: Irwin 37 ketch
Autopilot for Hydraulic Steering Sailboat

I have an Irwin 37 ketch with hydraulic steering (displacement: 22,000 lbs). Any suggestions on which should be an adequate autopilot system?
Alexandre.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:04   #2

Boat: Orca 38
Re: Autopilot for hydraulical steering sailboat

Just adequate? Any will probably do then.
A WH autopilot however is much more than adequate IMO.

John
Old 22-02-2012, 19:07   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

WH Autopilot is very sturdy but a bit dated design. I still have mine though, but always use the Simrad Robertson instead. Both have their roots in commercial fishing fleets.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:08   #4

Boat: Irwin 37 ketch

There are not too many autopilots for heavy boats with hydraulic steering. I've heard about WH. Do you have any personal experience on the system? Sorry about the ignorance, but what does IMO autopilot mean?

Alexandre
Alexandre.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 19:19   #5

Boat: Orca 38

IMO is short for "in my opinion".

Yes, I do have experience with the WH autopilots.
Will Hamm is designing the steering system and supplying the autopilot for my boat.
The AP4 model (I think that's the right model number) has the ability to have a wind vane wired to it and also has a function for following seas that I understand from local fisherman can't be beat.

As Jedi said, these were designed and used (still are) by the commercial fishing fleets out of Seattle and Alaska.

Wills shop is about 3 miles from my boat at present and he's gone out of his way to help me design the system. It's a small company and the customer service is great.

It wasn't really a choice as far as I was concerned.

John
Old 22-02-2012, 19:26   #6

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre.S View Post
There are not too many autopilots for heavy boats with hydraulic steering. I've heard about WH. Do you have any personal experience on the system? Sorry about the ignorance, but what does IMO autopilot mean?

Alexandre
IMO In My opinion.
The control unit CCU etc.. is the brains. You want to match the out put rating for the drive and CCU to your boat. I would not buy a unit that uses tiny slip sleeves or # 4 screws driven into a tiny slot to run the drive. This is a great point of failure. Look at how the connections are terminated. Look at the loads and wiring sizing that will be required from the panel. You can easily mis match components usually. Get the best drive Octopus Garmin etc... Get a computer that exceeds the drive requirement. Garmin WH etc... Hard pigtail or terminal block. No squishey stick a wire in and hope that it has good contact. IMO
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2012, 21:20   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I like both ComNav and WH for hydraulics, but really I have yet to test it aggresively as I'm in "reno" mode on the hard. I certainly agree with the idea that you should find the right sized ram or rotary pump...and then go one size bigger.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:24   #8

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Autopilot for Hydraulic Steering Sailboat

Furuno has the Navpilot 700 which sounds like it has extra features particularly suitable for hydraulic steering. Check out Panbo website for comments and Furuno site for additional info. It talks NMEA 2k apparently but how useful the "power steering" extra feature is I am not sure. May or may not be better than Simrad AP28 which attracts a lot of praise. Maybe others with more insight can comment?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:05   #9

Boat: 48 Californian

Both the ComNav and WH are built in the same geographic location for the same fleets. If I was not a loyal ComNav customer (after 3) I would have a WH. Besides the commercial fishing fleets, ComNav is used on many of the largest yachts on the planet.
Oversizing your pump is not a good idea. It won’t be capable of making small corrections as it will move to much fluid every time it turns on. Your cross track will S curve around the course and create a bunch of heat in the ccu.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20   #10

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im with Vyndance on this one ! Comnav works better then anything Ive ever had ( altho mostly before my Comnavs I had Wood FreemanLOL) on my 42 Colvin I had Comnav make me a unit way back when they were a young company! best thing I ever did! lasted 16 yrs and was still going strong when we sold her! very adjustable in different seas and wind conditions! don't know about most of the other systems out there, but a Comnav will be one of my first upgrades on our new boat !! Just saying
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54   #11

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Im with Vyndance on this one ! Comnav works better then anything Ive ever had ( altho mostly before my Comnavs I had Wood FreemanLOL) on my 42 Colvin I had Comnav make me a unit way back when they were a young company! best thing I ever did! lasted 16 yrs and was still going strong when we sold her! very adjustable in different seas and wind conditions! don't know about most of the other systems out there, but a Comnav will be one of my first upgrades on our new boat !! Just saying
Which Comnav autopilot (they make a range of course)?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:06   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

it might be a good idea to check what the cubic capacity of your steering ram is, before ordering.

pump sizes vary,a type 3 reversing pump is good for a 400cc ram,bigger than that and you will need a constantly running pump that uses solenoids to reverse the flow of hydralic fluid.

the ram capacity is generally stamped on the ram body,or available from the mfg with the pump model number.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:33   #13

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Sold and installed ComNav for some years. 1101 is great unit. Various output amperage packs to drive different size pumps. Broad range of sea-state settings + MOB and other interfaces.
Popular with commercial fishing and rig supply boats.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:42   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Ray and Furuno make relevant toys, I also believe Simrad does.

For a sailing boat I would use a Ray. I like their G series computers and found them deliver stable course keeping in all conditions.

The installation is pretty straightforward - place the head where you like it, place the brain in a dry location, place the compass sensor close to the center, etc.. Link to the pump, link the pump to the cylinder, add the valve.

Choosing the right volume of the pump for your cylinder is vital though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:18   #15

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

I just changed the electronics on my powerboat and went with Garmin for the autopilot and all the other pieces. I had to install the larger hydraulic pump (2.1l) as my displacement is greater than 40,000lb. It works great and talks and listens to all the other instruments on the NMEA network and was cheaper than other units I looked at.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, hydraulic steering, sailboat, steering