Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2007, 19:48   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Safety Equipment

Well, we are closing in on the time that we finish and get the boat in the water, so it is time for some major expenditures. One major item to purchase is a liferaft and the other is the EPIRB.
This has probably been covered many times, but my question is this:
They still sell the 121.5 epirb and are of course selling 406 epirbs. I don't want to buy the 121.5 type as that is being phased out as I understand it. Is there a preferred brand of epirb or have there been any problems with any particular brand/model?
Thanks in advance.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 00:14   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Here's some threads you may want to read.........

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ited-6264.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...b-s-10159.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/epirb-3641.html

NOAA SARSAT

There is a lot more discussions. If you type in EPIRB in the SEARCH menu they'll come up.
Enjoy....................._/)
Old 14-11-2007, 02:23   #3

...There is a dramatic story of a failed epirb contained within these four cyber walls . I wish I could tell you the link but I cant find it. Somebody help ? One of the serious considerations that I have been contemplating for the fitout of my new boat is not so much what but how many. The reason is simple, If you have to bail out you need to make sure that the life raft has an active epirb in it. If you have a float free type that is attached to your boat and it (may it never happen to you) deploy then it could end up many miles from where you actually are. Yes you will have two signals being sent which means the authorities have a choice between the two, but I think you will find that they will work it out (drift/windage) very quickly. If you are in the same situation as here in the land of OZ 406s have to be registered stating the vessels type name etc. This means that if two are activated they will know that it is the same vessel and not a multiple emergency. (another good reason for 406 apart from the fact that it is detected much more quickley)
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 03:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
EPIRB alert
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lert-9217.html

121.5/243 MHZ EPIRBs Discontinued
”The Coast Guard reminds all boaters that beginning January 1, 2007, both 121.5 and 243 MHz Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRBs) are prohibited from use in both commercial and recreational watercraft. Boaters wishing to have an emergency rescue beacon aboard their vessel must have a digital 406 MHz model.
The January 1, 2007, date to stop using 121.5 MHz EPIRBs is in preparation for February 1, 2009, when satellite processing of distress signals from all 121.5/243 MHz beacons will terminate. Following this termination date, only the 406 MHz beacons will be detected by the International Cospas-Sarsat Satellite System which provides distress alert and location data for search and rescue operations around the world.
The regulation applies to all Class A, B, and S 121.5/243 MHz EPIRBs. It does not affect 121.5/243 MHz man overboard devices which are designed to work directly with a base alerting unit only and not with the satellite system...”

GOTO:
Boating Safety Division Boating Articles

“Equipped To Survive” is the most comprehensive online resource for independent reviews of survival equipment and outdoors gear, as well as survival and Search and Rescue information.
GOTO: EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information

Including:

“406 MHz EPIRB, ELT & PLB Testing”: EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - 406 MHz EPIRB, ELT and PLB Testing

“Second 406 MHz GPS Enabled Emergency Beacon (EPIRB) Evaluation”
Second 406 MHz GPS Enabled Emergency Beacon Evaluation - EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm)

“Abandon Ship Bag Recommendations” EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Abandon Ship Bag

and other Marine Survival articles: EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE (tm) - Marine and Water Survival

SEE ALSO:

“Safety equipment for the sailor” ~ by Greg Jones
http://www.bwsailing.com/01articles/...ialsection.htm

COMPARISON OF THE 406 MHz AND 121.5 MHz DISTRESS BEACONS
http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/406vs121.pdf

USCG EPIRB INFORMATION:
Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacon (EPIRB) - USCG Navigation Center

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 07:57   #5

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Thanks everyone for their input. I will now wade through the information given here. I had not realized that the 121mhz epirbs were already prohibited. I knew that monitoring of them would discontinue in 2009. It is interesting to note the number of us sellers that are still selling the 121 mhz epirbs.
Thanks again

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, safety equipment