Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2018, 18:09   #1

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau 40 DS
Removing an Airmar transducer

I’ve got a rather odd Airmar depth transducer on my boat. From the picture below, you can see that it has no locking nut for the top of the transducer. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	161631
So there is nothing to grab onto to remove it. There is a small notch on the forward edge of the housing, but pressing into the notch with a small screwdriver had no effect.

Does anyone know how to remove this type of transducer? And do you also know if a new DST-800 triducer will fit into the housing?

Thanks!
tce001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 18:59   #2

Boat: Krogen 42
Re: Removing an Airmar transducer

It may be one piece with the nut against the hull.
Old 05-01-2018, 19:39   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

There is a locking nut there. It's just lretty small and half buried under that sealant. It's black plastic. If you can't unscrew it you could always just cut it out with a multitool and then hammer the transducer out.

Look at the specs for the new transducer and see if it matches up. I believe the airmat cutout is 2 in.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 20:46   #4

Generally only paddle wheels are in housings. That looks like one peice. Remove and replace.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 21:27   #5

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau 40 DS

Odd, I've never seen a one-piece transducer like this. I'll pull it on the next haul-out. Thanks!
tce001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:12   #6

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I am about to remove an old transducer that is housed in the boat shaped thing that allows the transducer to shoot straight down. I suspect it was installed with 5200. Sure love any tips on how to. This is how it looks to my unpracticed eye. The old transducer was for a Garmin 545s which was the early version of the Blue vision chatr system. The transducer I want to put in is for a Raymarine C-80. There is also another transducer mounted on the other side of the hull for an old SEA fishfinder. I am currently on the hard.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 16:01   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Removing an Airmar transducer

Only Boat shaped ones that I have seen are one piece thru hull xducers.
Goes thru the hull, with a big nut on the inside of the hull.

There is no downside to a shoot thru the hull xducer that I can see.
I have two depth sounders, the Raymarine one, and a shoot thru that I installed for my Zeus touch, the Raymarine thru hull only works to a few hundred feet, the shoot thru the hull works to about 1,500 or so and is good enough for the bottom machine, and of course it’s not another hole in the boat.
Since your on the hard, think about removing yours and fill the hole and install a shoot thru the hull xducer, assuming your hull is not cored. Although they can be installed in a cored hull too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 16:29   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
I am about to remove an old transducer that is housed in the boat shaped thing that allows the transducer to shoot straight down. I suspect it was installed with 5200. Sure love any tips on how to. This is how it looks to my unpracticed eye. The old transducer was for a Garmin 545s which was the early version of the Blue vision chart system.
There is a faily good chance that the Garmin transducer is just glued to the inside of the hull, so you could just tackle it with a sharp knife or thin wood chisel and smash it out. To check before you do anything, there should be a couple of small screws in the top which hold it in place. Remove the top and the transducer part leave the base unit which will be filled with oil.

If its a b45 type which goes through the hull then angle grind it out.

Now what sort of transducer do you have for the C80? because if its like the one in the picture you could drop it back in on the old base unit and save a heap of work.

You will also need a DSM 300 for the sounder, do you have one of these? There are other sizes but the DSM300 is quite powerful and gave a really good picture on a previous boat we had.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p79.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	169051   Click image for larger version

Name:	b45.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	169052  

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 16:35   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
There is also another transducer mounted on the other side of the hull for an old SEA fishfinder. I am currently on the hard.
Does this one go through the hull or just shoots through the hull? If its through the hull then angle grind it out and glass the hole up. If you watch the second part of Mads video he shows how he grinds a 12:1 ratio hole to glass up a couple of old holes.

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote