Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 05:51   #1

Raymarine st6002

My control head has turned into digital arabic and now after 13 years, has I believe failed! It won't go from standby to auto and I wonder whether the HKG summer heat combined with high humidity has finally taken its toll?? I was lloking for a quick fix..maybe a replacement e bay control head or just reseat the existing head after its dried out and relubricated...any suggestions?? ..or just a total replacement??..if its the latter, can I keep the linear ram of the old unit?? Simrad? B&G???? Ray again???
lucyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:09   #2

Boat: C&C 34
Re: Raymarine st6002

Is that head on a Raymarine S1G autopilot? It could be a lot of things. First I would check the fuses on the course computer. They are under the removable panel on the front of the computer. Remove, inspect and replace them. See what happens.

I would also try to power the ST6002 on its own not connected to the autopilot computer. You will need a seatalk cable with one end removed (some come this way). Connect red to 12 volt + and the shield (wire with no cover or maybe some black shrink wrap on it) to negative. Leave the yellow wire disconnected. The unit should turn on if it is still working. If not try to see if a friend or neighbor will let you borrow a control head.

Good luck.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:12   #3

Boat: Dufour 38

Do any of the buttons on the ST6002 beep when pressed? How about the auto button?
Capn Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 15:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrabbit View Post
My control head has turned into digital arabic and now after 13 years, has I believe failed! It won't go from standby to auto and I wonder whether the HKG summer heat combined with high humidity has finally taken its toll?? I was lloking for a quick fix..maybe a replacement e bay control head or just reseat the existing head after its dried out and relubricated...any suggestions?? ..or just a total replacement??..if its the latter, can I keep the linear ram of the old unit?? Simrad? B&G???? Ray again???
Its worth trying to dry it out for a few days, but don't lubricate it. Adding oil to electronics is one of the worst things that you can do, salt sticks to it, attracts water and corrodes everything !
If there are any visible signs of oil, wipe down with IPA (Isopropryl Alcohol), failing that any pure alcohol should be OK
tayana55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine