Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2021, 18:44   #1

Raymarine Axiom vs Axiom Pro

My 8 year old RM e7D has lost its GPS and the touch screen is becoming more unresponsive. And having replaced the whole unit 3 times over its life I don’t want to trust RM service to fix it.

So I will buy an Axiom+ or Axiom Pro to replace it.

Anybody have either of these Axiom units in service?

It seems the Axiom+ is a newer design advertising a brighter screen but I am concerned about being wholly dependent on its touchscreen-only design, unlike the Axiom Pro that is hybrid touch like the old e7.

Many times the hybrid touch rotary wheel has been the only way to use the e7 when the touch screen became unresponsive.

Any thoughts or direct experience with either models?

thanks.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 18:53   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Raymarine Axiom vs Axiom Pro

Get the hybrid
Old 20-07-2021, 19:20   #3

Boat: Columbia 50

The pro is substantially more expensive than the regular axiom. The screen is supposedly much better at angles (forget the name of the technology right now...optically bonded ornsomething like that)

Anyway, RM makes a separate keypad with all the trimming that come on the pro and e7, mounts independantly, for a few hundred. I think the axiom plus and one of them will do me just fine when my e7 goes.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/raya804...AaAlVPEALw_wcB

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 19:28   #4

I swapped out my e128's for the Pro's 2 years ago. They've been great and the rotary wheel hasn't been used helm or nav station. I may swap the Helm unit for the Axiom+ just for the better display. What I do not like about either unit is no HDMI input.
ixnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 19:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnax View Post
I swapped out my e128's for the Pro's 2 years ago. They've been great and the rotary wheel hasn't been used helm or nav station. I may swap the Helm unit for the Axiom+ just for the better display. What I do not like about either unit is no HDMI input.
I have never seen an MFD with an HDMI input. they only have HDMI outputs.

the pro has nmea 183 which if you are replacing an older already intragrated screen may help. though I'm not sure about the pluses. the reg axiom does not.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2021, 19:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

the pro has nmea 183 which if you are replacing an older already intragrated screen may help. though I'm not sure about the pluses. the reg axiom does not.
Could be. However I seem to remember the e128's had HDMI in.
Old 20-07-2021, 20:15   #7

Quote:

So..... and conceding in advance I know less than Sergeant Schulz, if you had an HDMI output you wanted to get into the current Raymarine stuff without signal degradation how would you do it? I'm asking for a friend.
Old 20-07-2021, 22:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
The pro is substantially more expensive than the regular axiom. The screen is supposedly much better at angles (forget the name of the technology right now...optically bonded ornsomething like that)

Anyway, RM makes a separate keypad with all the trimming that come on the pro and e7, mounts independantly, for a few hundred. I think the axiom plus and one of them will do me just fine when my e7 goes.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/raya804...AaAlVPEALw_wcB

Matt
Thanks, I’ll get the Axiom+ and that remote.

BTW I was disappointed by the poor resolution on an iPad Pro when using RayControl to repeat the e7 image. It actually looks worst on the large iPad Pro screen than my much smaller and older iPad. I guess thats because the Wi-Fi repeated image is no better than the pixel res of the small e7 screen?

I wonder if any RM MFD can take advantage of the high res iPad Pro screen over Wi-Fi?
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 03:34   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:

Lots of the Garmin units have hdmi input for cameras, Vessel monitoring systems, etc.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 08:19   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

These days you’d use IP cameras anyway
Old 21-07-2021, 10:19   #11

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

I bought an Axiom earlier this year to have at the helm as we are in the Swedish archipelago this year. . While it is working OK, I am not impressed by it. The screen is not overly bright, but just about easily sunlight readable. Brighter would be better.

What I really do not like is the non-intuitive operating system, Lighthouse 3. All the function are there - somewhere, without much logic to it. Settings menus, data fields, overlays, everything is non-coherent. Garmin is miles ahead here. OK, you learn it after a while. N2K integration works fine.

Anyhow, the unit was fairly cheap and it does what it is supposed to do., And I have a Rpi with a 15" display and OpenCpn in the Nav station.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 11:29   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I have the Axiom 9 touchscreen only. I've had no issues with operating it in the rain. But I also have a back-up chart plotter (cheap Garmin) at the nav station below, and Navionics on an iPad. So I have choices, which is an approach I recommend.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 14:39   #13

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I swapped out my old unit with a very glitchy touch screen for an Axiom Pro 9s though the RM service/repair center in Mass, they gave me a discount of about 700$ because it was a mechanical/infrastructure failure in the RM product.
Like to use the “wheel” off shore when the sea state and wind are making finger manipulation of the touch screen challenging.
As stated by others The Raymarine lighthouse 3 operating programs and screens are definitely not intuitive like what you would expect but all the RM products on my vessel would cost a lot to replace and then what to shift to?

Good luck with the choice you make, cheers.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 15:53   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kd9truck View Post
As stated by others The Raymarine lighthouse 3 operating programs and screens are definitely not intuitive like what you would expect but all the RM products on my vessel would cost a lot to replace and then what to shift to?

See, I find it just the opposite. For me the RM Lighthouse three menu system is very intuitive
The Garmin system gives me fits.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2021, 16:22   #15

I have a pair of the Raymarine Axiom 9 RV's and wish I had spent more for the Pro. Most importantly, the RV has a single Navionics card slot on the back of the unit (which for most of us, is in a pod type mount). The Pro has 2 card slots on the front.
Terry and Melissa
sv Privateer III
TNRivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, raymarine