Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2016, 11:49   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Raymarine Autopilot dropping to standby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I think a lot of AP problems are that people don't balance/adjust their sails. It isn't really the AP's fault if it has a hard time holding course when it takes more than 5-10 degrees to do so. If you have a hard time steering you should expect the AP will also.
So maybe when the seas and winds get strong you should pull over and spend the night in a Denny's parking In rough conditions it is tiring and tough to steer a boat even when the sails are balanced. The AP has to be up to the job.
Old 15-07-2016, 13:45   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
So maybe when the seas and winds get strong you should pull over and spend the night in a Denny's parking In rough conditions it is tiring and tough to steer a boat even when the sails are balanced. The AP has to be up to the job.
Ridiculous comment! Maybe you should just learn to balance your sails and maybe your Raymarine AP will steer your boat without tripping! Then again maybe I've got the only RM AP that does works
Old 15-07-2016, 13:55   #33

Quote:
Ridiculous comment! Maybe you should just learn to balance your sails and maybe your Raymarine AP will steer your boat without tripping! Then again maybe I've got the only RM AP that does works
Sailorboy,
I'm trying to learn to balance my sails. So far the longest I've used my AP continuously is 21 days straight. It didn't take any flyers on that passage, but then it's non-Ray. You put a lot of faith in sail balancing. Once you are down to a second reef and a staysail how do you think you will balance your sails so the 3-4m waves don't swing the boat around?
Old 15-07-2016, 14:17   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm not interested in this word game with you. Others can get get their RM AP to maintain their course, if you couldn't it was you, simple as that!
Old 15-07-2016, 14:26   #35

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Now-Now children. No name calling. The AP has done 5 transatlantics with zero problems, and a lot of other sailing in-between. Yes, the sails are balanced, why would they not be? I trim my sails to a state where the wheel can be left alone for a minute or two in calm or say 20 seconds in rough stuff. This AP has worked perfectly well for hours in 70+ knot winds on the beam, for days in following seas in gale conditions. So, I trust it, I just need to find the new little gremlin, that only started when I "Upgraded" the control head to a 6002.
Old 15-07-2016, 14:26   #36

Quote:
I'm not interested in this word game with you. Others can get get their RM AP to maintain their course, if you couldn't it was you, simple as that!
Sure some have. Mine would work for days at a time. Just read the number of different people who posted the same problems on this thread alone. It speaks to the design.
Old 15-07-2016, 17:33   #37

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

My RM S3G would cut out with no pattern. Then I switched all of the electronics to B&G and now it no longer cuts out. Perhaps it was an issue with the RM RL70C? For clarification, I still have the RM S3G AP and it works better now than when I had the flicker and flash chartplotters . . .
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 12:58   #38

Boat: Robinhood -- 36

My 6002 just started that behavior last winter after 9 years and 40,000 miles of working flawlessly. After review with my Ray Marine guru, we decided to start with the easy stuff first. Checked wiring and connections, no problems found. It was jumping to standby even when we were motoring with plenty of electricity available. My guru said to change the display, that he had found this to be the culprit more often than not. Changed to another display (used), and have not had the problem again in 8 months and about 4,000 miles. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Miker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:04   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I will chime in with a "voltage drop" suggestion as well. Raymarine instruments don't seem to be fond of low voltage. Even with our new ones.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:37   #40

I thought my problem had gone away, but yesterday my AP switch to standby mode. I heard beeping from my MFD and a window had popped up on it, but before I could see the message the AP had shut down.

In my case it was not power related as I was motoring.

I suspect that there are two potential problems, low power and software glitches, I have the later I think.
Old 19-07-2016, 07:28   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Hoppy you can have low power even with the engine on!

Undersized wiring or corroded connections can reduce the cause resistance that causes voltage drops when there are power demands.

As I originally posted --- I only had issue when the AP was working.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 11:30   #42

Boat: 44' Antigua/CSY

Hoppy, Turn you autopilot on at anchor and as the boat swings go listen to the linear drive unit as it corrects. If it is making noise the magnets came loose on your motor. This happened to mine and it would trip my breaker and shut down the autopilot. Failure in the Lineare Drive unit will shut down the autopilot. I've also learned from other people that the worm gear in the drive unit can also cause shut down if it's malfunctioning.
Wind Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, marine, raymarine