Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 06:32   #1

Boat: CT-47
ST6002+ Autopilot sitches to Standby

Had a new Raymarine control display fitted. Every so often, but at irregular intervals, the untitled switches itself to Standby. This can be from a few minutes to a couple of hours.

This occurs in all weather / sea conditions.

I have replaced the sea talk wire to the course computer but no improvement. Any suggestions?
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:10   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: ST6002+ Autopilot sitches to Standby

I experienced this situation with my ST6000+, T300 Course Computer and Type 2 linear drive unit in 2005, while in the Med.
In my case the problem was fixed by throwing money at the problem. I initially checked all electrical connections, and found everything solid with no corrosion. Then on the recommendation of a Raymarine Tech in Gib, I replaced the drive motor. The reasoning was that the course computer was dropping into standby because of an overload condition from the drive unit. That seemed to work for a few days, but then the problem came back. The Gib Tech had said that if the drive motor didn't fix the problem then the problem must be in the course computer. By then I was in Spain and I was given 3 choices by the Raymarine dealer in Almerimar:
  1. Send the course computer back to Raymarine for diagnosis and repair with a turn around of at least a month with no guarantee of a fix.
  2. Order a replacement course computer as a part from Raymarine at a significant cost with a turn around of 2-3 weeks
  3. Order a complete S3 core package through the dealer at about 25% more than the cost of the part and a turn around of 48 hours.
I chose option 3 and now have a spare fluxgate compass and rudder sensor. The good news is it finally fixed the problem and 8 years later the AP is still running fine. Of course the bad news was the cost, about E1,000 IRC.

In my case I think the problem was caused by a poor SSB installation on my part. The power cord and antenna cable for the SSB ran within 1' of the course computer. I had re-installed the SSB the previous winter, which moved the cables to more than 4' from the computer, but I think the damage was already done. The AP failed on the initial leg of the trip from Portugal to Gib the next spring.

I'm sure my solution is not the one you want to hear, so I would definitely check all of the electrical connection before contacting Raymarine.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:34   #3

Thank you jstevens for your detailed reply.

Yes, not really what I wanted to hear, but as with all electronics on a yacht, there is seldom an easy fix, just expensive ones.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:53   #4

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post

This occurs in all weather / sea conditions.
What about the state of the battery ?

Is it occurring while motoring, with the battery charging ?

If you engage it at the dock in power steering mode will it occur (no load from the drive) ?

Why did you fit a new display ? Was the old one working ?
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:46   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post

What about the state of the battery ?

Is it occurring while motoring, with the battery charging ?

If you engage it at the dock in power steering mode will it occur (no load from the drive) ?

Why did you fit a new display ? Was the old one working ?
Battery is fine, there seems no difference between sailing and motoring.
Have not tried to engage it while docked, but regarding the load on the steering, it also switched itself to standby at extremely calm and flat sea with low motoring speeds of 2-3 knots.

The old unit was broken it only displayed " seatalk failure", had it checked by a Raymarine dealer who declared it was beyond repair. The course computer was checked at the same time and said to be working fine.......therefore I replaced the display and seatalk cable.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:01   #6

This happens to me intermittently (ST6001 + S2G). We'll be going along fine, but then the boat will fall off the wind or the XTE alarm will sound. Check the AP head and it says "standby". Very frustrating. It is infrequent enough that I can't really diagnose the problem, but can't really trust the AP either.

Over the years I've changed my drive motor and course computer, but the problem still occurs. Next I'm going to change the control head.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 18:08   #7

I had the exact symptoms on my ST6002+ control head. The frequency of the occurences increased gradually but at an increasing rate over a period of about a year. About 9 months into the year, the display would also turn itself off before coming back on after 5-10 secs.

The solution was to remove the head, box it up and send it to Raymarine for a mainboard replacement. If memory serves me correctly the tab was about $200.

The repair was 3 years ago and so far so good.

Addison
ajchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:09   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I also wonder about outside influences...

I have had this happen a couple of times in the last three years. I always assumed it was a computer glich, since it reset immediately, until I was sailing from Colon Panama to Isla Providencia Columbia.

Another sailboat, who was about 50 miles away from me had his Raymarine SG3 Auto Pilot go into Stand By at the same time mine did... We both have linear drives. The seas were beamy and it could have been a heat issue, but.... This area was heavily patrolled by various government's navies and Coast Guards.

So this brings up the question, why would two identical Auto Pilot systems, on two different boats 50 miles apart, go into stand by at the same time?

Could a military radar or other military radio device cause them to go into stand by?

Before the conspiracy people start chiming in... I mean accidentally not a purposeful act.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:59   #9

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

My 6002 starts beeping and switches to standby and rudder indicator cancels out everytime I transmit on my SSB,on the lower frequencies only.The SSB power wire runs near corepack and AP wire,but very hard to relocate.The raymarine rep said to try using shielded wire for the powerwire between AP drive and corepack.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote