Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2007, 19:35   #16

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Radio Ettiquette

Here in Australia we are required to be licenced to use VHF or HF.

I have just completed the required learning and acheived an 80% pass in formal test - pass mark is 70.

In the course we are taught the proper way to make and respond to distress and emergency calls - Mayday and Pan Pan; phonetic alphabet; proper calling and communication procedures etc.

It is also a requirement for each vessel to maintain a Radio Log and record all transmissions made and received.

Many boaters will no doubt have radios on board, use them regularly, but are not technically qualified to do so.

Fair winds

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 01:54   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Study Guide for the Restricted Operator's Certificate
http://www.ccga12.org/boatingresourc...studyguide.pdf

The Foremost Insurance page, originally linked by Rangiroo, doesn’t pretend to be comprehensive, and contains at least one error ...

“... If a [radio] check is really necessary, monitor a working channel and listen for a conversation between two stations. When they end their conversation with "out," immediately call one of them three times in succession, finishing with your boat name and call sign, followed by "out." When they respond, ask them how they read your transmission, thank them, and sign off by again giving your boat name and sign, followed by "out."

Your contact transmission should end with “over”, as “out” suggests you’ve gone off chanel/air, and no reply is necessary nor possible.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 02:09   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Gord, are you saying this is wrong: "Hey Shareeeee, you got your ears on, comeback?"
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 02:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Gord, are you saying this is wrong: "Hey Shareeeee, you got your ears on, comeback?"
Only if you’re trying to lure Sharee back, following a spat ...

What I’m saying is that “Over” is an invitation for the other party to speak (I’ve finished speaking); whilst “Out” is a declaration that I’m am ending the conversation, and leaving the chanel or going off air.
Hence: “Over & Out”* (for instance), means that it’s your turn to talk, but I’m not listening.
*Something Maggie might say, when she’s laid down the law, and further discussion will not be productive of domestic bliss.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 07:47   #20

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
You forgot the "good buddy" and that you've got a smokey on your tail. I have a sudden urge to go watch Convoy and Smokey and the Bandit...
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 08:59   #21

Boat: Nordic Tug - Tuffy
Licensing is coming to the US, and this is just one reason why.
mdfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 14:51   #22

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
<<Here in Australia we are required to be licenced to use VHF or HF.>>

In principle, the same is true in Canada, but I suspect enforcement is not astonishingly rigorous. I took the restricted radio operator's course while Connemara was on the hard after we bought her.

And I'm meant to carry the license whenever I use a VHF.

But unless the cops or coast guard board me -- and they rarely bother sailboats on Lake Ontario -- i dunno how I'd ever get caught if I didn't have it.

And I suspect a large number of boaters -- especially newbies -- don't have a license. Which explains the rotten radio procedure.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 15:09   #23
Long Range Cruiser

I am not sure that requiring to be licensed is the best policy.

If there is stringent requirements only a few with have the license and be able to use the equipemnt. Others will be scared of it and wont know which button to push! (GMDSS esp!)

My preference would be to let it be a free for all and even let the Shareee's and the teens have a go with it. get comfortable with it, even have some fun. At least then when the skipper / license holder is otherwise occupied others can use the radio.
Radios are a significant expense so not many kids would be allowed the use of HF or even VHF.

Perhaps if it was maditory to have attached instructions how to make calls etc that would be more benifitial.

Anyway, thats just my thoughts...
Old 28-12-2007, 15:18   #24

Even in remote cruiser nets where participants might be expected to have significant knowledge, experience and manners, it is common to have moderators - it is a thankless and sometimes hopeless job:

BoatUS Cruising Logs
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 15:20   #25

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
Not soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfixitman View Post
Licensing is coming to the US, and this is just one reason why.
The U.S. required licensing in the past but removed the requirement. The theory is that if one is required to have a certain piece of equipment, one can't be forced to get a license. I don't expect to see VHF licensing anytime in the near future if ever.
For most boaters, a shipboard marine radio no longer requires a license, unless you "visit foreign ports."
In these cases you are supposed to have a marine station license and operators license, too. The fees used to be modest, $5 or so, then some sweeping reform ("can't charge for manditory regulation") caused them to be abolished entirely.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 15:21   #26

Quote:
My preference would be to let it be a free for all and even let the Shareee's and the teens have a go with it. get comfortable with it, even have some fun. At least then when the skipper / license holder is otherwise occupied others can use the radio.
You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking. If you're not joking then hopefully you won't mind when you're sinking I'm on 16 ordering pizza. Jayzus.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 16:18   #27

Boat: Nordic Tug - Tuffy
The biggest thing licensing will do, not just radio, but also vessel operating, is it will ensure at least a minimum amount of education prior to operating a vessel. Several states, including California are developing plans for, or have already implimented, boat operator's licensing which includes a section of operationg a radio.
mdfixitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 21:40   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoe71 View Post
You're joking right? Please tell me you're joking.
Nup, I wasn't joking. At least everyone on my boat would know how to do the maydays And I think most people are responsable. Most.
Old 28-12-2007, 21:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
Del - Same in the 70's ... you old Foxtrot Alpha Romeo Tango.
Same in the 90's: NATO style.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 21:55   #30

Quote:
Nup, I wasn't joking. At least everyone on my boat would know how to do the maydays And I think most people are responsable. Most.
With all the crap people would be spouting on 16, no one would have their radios on anymore to listen to your mayday. That's one of the realities of people screwing around on 16: more and more mariners turn off their radios because they don't want to hear your kids saying "HELLO??" blaring through the cockpit.

I mean why not just let everyone have fun with parachute flares too? I'm sure it would be easy to distinquish the real emergencies from the people having fun...
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio