Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2023, 08:36   #10

Boat: Passport 40
Re: Radar Reflectors -- observations and musings

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
To me, a radar reflector is significantly less important In the age of AIS. I’ve got a transponder on my little Ericson 27, and wouldn’t sail without it. Not only do I show up on their radar screens, they also now know my name, making it much easier to call me on the radio if something needs to be discussed.

Last summer, I was lazily tacking my way down one of the channels in the Canadian Gulf Islands. A deep sea was heading northbound towards one of the anchorages. Instead of blowing their horn at me, or blindly calling for the sailboat in Trincomali Channel, they were instead able to simply call “Sailing Vessel Sagres” and got my attention instantly.

Much safer than relying on a radar return.

But even then, modern X-Band radars should be able to pick up an aluminum mast without much trouble. We were stuck in Vancouver harbour with a bad engine, and as we were talking to Traffic they reported that they could see us both on AIS and radar.
I agree, most big ships should and do use AIS and they are the ones to watch out for including commercial fishing boats. you see each other better then just a dot on the screen. radar is becoming what SSB has become.
Srpulpo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar