Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2024, 07:10   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: PredictWind DataHub - Reviews?

Never looked at the manual, pry because I tossed it day one with the box in the trash, since it was super simple to configure. I would put the unit in the category of iPhone simple to use and setup.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 08:17   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windpilot View Post
I use the PW data hub, broadcast with the go exec wifi. It works. have starlink also but the exec power draw is so minimal so its on 24/7 just for the data hub.
But, I cannot get it to broadcast my wind speed and wind direction. It's hooked up though.
There needs to be a heading sensor on the network for wind speed to show on the tracking page.

https://help.predictwind.com/en/arti...earing-in-nmea

I've been happy with our DataHub.

Not familiar with many alternatives but a lot of devices provide some of the functionality. I use the following.
  • Our primary router. I like the flexibility to use multiple different types of devices for the WAN. I have used all three Wifi, USB, and ethernet. I wish the superadmin features were visible for admin accounts.
  • Broadcasting NMEA over WiFi.
  • PW Tracking page, however I'm probably going to use noforeignland in the future.

I could probably swap it out for a better router and use a RPi with Signal K for the rest of the functionality as an alternative but it would be more expensive.
jeremy.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 08:31   #18

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopherTO View Post
Yeah, good question. I use Garmin Inreach. It's unfortunate, because I really like the PredictWind tracking... if only PW's prices were manageable. ��*♂️
^^^ This. My data hub is sitting in a bag unused and unusable because it requires the ***PRO*** subscription at about $500US per year to use it to generate AI based boat polars for my catamaran, which is what I wanted it for in addition to tracking, both of which require the STUPIDly expensive PRO as it seems from the UI. So, it was a complete and utter waste of money. I wish I had just got the Garmin InReach instead.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 16:26   #19

Boat: Outremer 55L

We got the DataHub solely to automate tracking within a variety of apps that our family and friends can look at. It works very well with that with hourly data points. It’s also creating a better polar file than OpenCPN.

We already had a boat router that manages our Internet sources (mobile and Starlink) and boat network, so we don’t use the DataHub’s router capabilities - it’s connected to our boat network as a client. If you don’t already have a router on your boat the DataHub is OK.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 16:31   #20

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.s View Post

PW Tracking page, however I'm probably going to use noforeignland in the future.

You can define in NFL that tracking data comes from the DataHub. From memory you have to send an email to PredictWind support telling them to send the tracking data to NFL.

Note that tracking data is always sent to your PW tracking page, regardless of where else you’re sending it.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2024, 17:37   #21

Boat: Lagoon 450S

I have both a Raspberry Pi running Signal K and a DataHub. I'm about to unplug my DataHub and get rid of it. The Pi with SigK does everything the Datahub does and way more. I wouldn't be surprised if the Datahub is running Signal K inside too. If you have any technical (computer) skills, I would highly recommend looking into Signal K and/or OpenPlotter.

Data overload with Signal K Server, a Raspberry Pi and a whole lot of tools

Signal K

OpenPlotter
Old 19-02-2024, 07:54   #22

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Coronado View Post
I have both a Raspberry Pi running Signal K and a DataHub. I'm about to unplug my DataHub and get rid of it. The Pi with SigK does everything the Datahub does and way more. I wouldn't be surprised if the Datahub is running Signal K inside too. If you have any technical (computer) skills, I would highly recommend looking into Signal K and/or OpenPlotter.

Data overload with Signal K Server, a Raspberry Pi and a whole lot of tools

Signal K

OpenPlotter
Looking at the links - I may be missing it - but does this approach result in a tracking web page that you can password secure and give to third parties in addition to boat polar creation?
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2024, 08:34   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_FlyingTigress View Post
Looking at the links - I may be missing it - but does this approach result in a tracking web page that you can password secure and give to third parties in addition to boat polar creation?
I don't believe it will create boat polars but it could be used to create a tracking page.

The first link shows how to setup Signal K on a Cerbo GX, which is a great option if you have one. It is also using Signal K and the author created Saillogger which is the second link. I haven't used Sailloger, but I might in the future. It creates tracking pages and a lot more.

https://svrenaissance.com/victron-cerbo-gx-on-steroids/
https://saillogger.com/

I'm currently using noforeignland to create a tracking page in addition to PreddictWind which can be updated using the DataHub, Signal K, and many other options.

https://www.noforeignland.com/help/boat/move-signal-k

If you are planning on having a Predictwind standard or professional subscription for weather their tracking page and a DataHub are a good option. Personally since I'm staying coastal I don't need PW for weather as much and I'm starting to question if I can justify the subscription price primarily for a tracking page.
Old 19-02-2024, 08:37   #24

Just saw this new feature this morning.

DataHub Over the Horizon AIS

https://help.predictwind.com/en/arti...%20to%20enable

Internet AIS streamed over your NMEA 2k network using the DataHub for up to 300 miles. It does require a professional subscription.

The DataHub has seen a lot of new features over the last 6 months and seems to be in active development.
Old 19-02-2024, 09:12   #25

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Signal K does have a plug-in for boat tracking with Noforeignland. To my knowledge, Noforeignland does not have the ability to password protect your tracking page. There may be plug-ins for other tracking site, I haven't looked.

There are Signal K plug-ins for producing boat polars. I prefer to dump the N2K data to a database and then query the data to build my own.
Old 20-02-2024, 21:30   #26
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_FlyingTigress View Post
Developer of Saillogger here. Saillogger can definitely create a tracking page that you can choose to keep private or make public. Quite a few users are using the tracking function with Starlink, a few have crossed the Atlantic and a few others are about to start a Pacific crossing. You can get a glimpse of the capabilities using the demo account at https://saillogger.com/demo

Currently there is no password protection for the tracking page if you make your profile public, but it can be added with relative ease if there is enough interest. How common is this need?
Old 24-02-2024, 13:08   #27

Boat: Grand Soleil 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Never looked at the manual, pry because I tossed it day one with the box in the trash, since it was super simple to configure. I would put the unit in the category of iPhone simple to use and setup.

Cheyne
Cheyne, To educate you:
PredictWind does not ship the DataHub with a printed manual. You can download a PDF file, this guide is old and made redundant.

They now promote an online guide:

https://help.predictwind.com/en/coll...389802-datahub

The issue I had was related to a fault. I don't want to start an argument with you, let's agree to keep a friendly tone on this forum.
Mogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2024, 13:15   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380

If you need a manual for something like this you are doing something wrong, but I also have 35 years in tech and manuals are just dumpster material.

Cheyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogle View Post
Cheyne, To educate you:
PredictWind does not ship the DataHub with a printed manual. You can download a PDF file, this guide is old and made redundant.

They now promote an online guide:

https://help.predictwind.com/en/coll...389802-datahub

The issue I had was related to a fault. I don't want to start an argument with you, let's agree to keep a friendly tone on this forum.
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 14:19   #29
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Developer of Saillogger here. Saillogger can definitely create a tracking page that you can choose to keep private or make public. Quite a few users are using the tracking function with Starlink, a few have crossed the Atlantic and a few others are about to start a Pacific crossing. You can get a glimpse of the capabilities using the demo account at https://saillogger.com/demo

Currently there is no password protection for the tracking page if you make your profile public, but it can be added with relative ease if there is enough interest. How common is this need?
A quick note that Saillogger just released optional password protection for tracking page and other public pages.

Tags
reviews, wind