Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which communications license do you have?
I have a SSB license issued by a country other than the USA. 10 12.50%
I have a HAM license issued by a country other than the USA. 8 10.00%
I have an FCC issued SSB license. 26 32.50%
I have an FCC issued Technician Class HAM license. 6 7.50%
I have an FCC issued General Class HAM license. 19 23.75%
I have an FCC issued Extra Class HAM license 10 12.50%
I do not have a radio operators license. 11 13.75%
I have a radio operators licence but none of the above. 19 23.75%
I know Morse code at 5 WPM or better. 24 30.00%
I do not know Morse Code 21 26.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2008, 22:10   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
According to FCC title 47 section 80.165 Code of Federal Regulations (Revised as of May9, 2008), Operator Requirements for Voluntary Stations, the minimum operator license for ship telephone, with or without DSC, not more than 100 watts carrier power or 400 watts peak envelope power, below 30Mhz, an RP is required.
So if I am reading this correctly, US citzens operating domestically (on board) do NOT need a license for VHF but do need an RP for HF. I guess there would not be much requirement for HF in local USA waters.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 07:20   #17

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40 "Voyageur"
FCC General Radiotelephone License here.
so34chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2008, 22:09   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
With a HAM license, you can get free email. So with HF in domestic waters, it can be helpful. There are other reasons for having a HF transceiver given marine band (156 MHz) is not a whole lot further than line of sight.

The requirement to have a station license for a marine band radio for non-commercial vessels was eliminated a number of years ago.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 03:32   #19

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
Now I'm totally confused. Are these licenses good for life, or must be renewed annually etc? Do you have to own a boat to get one, or can you plan ahead?
So, gentleman, can we recap?
1. What licenses would totally cover you domestically?
2 What licenses would totally cover you if you are going internationally? This would include the frequent trips to the Bahamas, Turks & Caicos US and BVI's. If the cost isn't too high, I'd rather have too much than not enough.
Thanks.
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 03:45   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
1. What licenses would totally cover you domestically?
2 What licenses would totally cover you if you are going internationally?
Domestically you don't need anything except for HAM.

Internationally the FCC form 605 bundles all the rest into pone application that used to be about 5 for $160. It's good 10 years but can be renewed.

All the above assumes you are a US citizen. If not then all the rules are vastly different.

There are a few holes as far as "100% totally covered". There may be places that may want you to apply for some local license. I could not make a list of them. Most all the licenses changed 2 years ago. Folks with old licenses still get to keep them and new people will be redirected to the new process. What someone got even 3 years ago has nothing to do with the process now. It's hard to believe but they actually fixed a bunch of stuff except if you ask my neighbor across the street that owns an FM and an AM band radio station. He still files to the same organization.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2008, 05:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Domestically you don't need anything except for HAM.
Why is this so difficult!!! The exemption in the U.S. only applies to VHF, EPIRB and/or Radar. If you have marine HF, you MUST have a station license and operator permit, period.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:47   #22

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Eric is correct.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:00   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Anybody have any clue whether it is ok for a U.S. citizen to use the FCC license on a FOREIGN REGISTERED VESSEL, outside of U.S. waters? I am confused because the operator license requires you to name the ship, and seems to assume that you will be operating on one particular ship, which they assume is U.S. registered.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:51   #24

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Me: I once had the license for a VHF when it was required. I'm glad they did away with that. Otherwise as a coastal/Bahamas cruiser, I see no need for anything else. A VHF, cell phone, (with internet) and SSB Receiver meet my communication needs very affordably.

I can understand why others feel a need for more, but that suits my needs with no need of a license of any kind.

For me the drawbacks of a license and more technical equipment are: cost, maintenance, time, noise, increased electrical needs and complexity and headache to maintain.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dockhead, if you are on a foreign-flagged vessel, you are probably subject to the RULES OF THAT FLAG, not to FCC regulations.

However, my first VHF license (back when they charged a MUCH more reasonable fee for it) was issued as a "PORTABLE" license and not assigned to any vessel. Where they asked for vessel name I wrote in "delivery crew using mutliple vessels" and they sent it back marked "PORTABLE".

Needless to say that can't apply to a ship's station itself--even though this was a "Ship's Station License", that's just what a "personal" VHF license was called at the time.

When in doubt? The FCC Licensing Division has some really nice folks who answer a toll-free phone number during business hours. They tend to give the right answer, first time, every time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Anybody have any clue whether it is ok for a U.S. citizen to use the FCC license on a FOREIGN REGISTERED VESSEL, outside of U.S. waters? I am confused because the operator license requires you to name the ship, and seems to assume that you will be operating on one particular ship, which they assume is U.S. registered.
You do not need to fill in line 24 of FCC form 605 when applying for the restricted radio operators permit. That line is for ship applicants which is for marine station licenses. You are applying for an operators license. My assumption is that the FCC has no jurisdiction over foreign registered vessels outside of U.S. waters. You must abide by whatever rules apply in their country.

Eric
Old 11-05-2009, 12:17   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
You do not need to fill in line 24 of FCC form 605 when applying for the restricted radio operators permit.
The 605 will handle everything except the commercial operators license. One form, one fee does it all for a cruiser (you don't need the commercial operators license): Station License for the boat, VHF, MMSI, EPIRB, and SSB. The license ships in a few weeks to a week. All can be done over the Internet if you add the form for paying by credit card. You can amend the 605 as much as you like by fixing it on line and they send out a new paper certificate. HAM and commercial have to use other forms and are not part of a 605 application.

Quote:
My assumption is that the FCC has no jurisdiction over foreign registered vessels outside of U.S. waters. You must abide by whatever rules apply in their country.
Correct your rules don't follow you around.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:45   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
The 605 will handle everything except the commercial operators license. One form, one fee does it all for a cruiser (you don't need the commercial operators license): Station License for the boat, VHF, MMSI, EPIRB, and SSB......HAM and commercial have to use other forms and are not part of a 605 application.
Incorrect. Form 605 is an application for authorization in the ship, aircraft, amateur (thats HAM), restricted and commercial operator, and general mobile radio services. You also have to complete 605 schedule E for operator licenses in the marine services. As for the restricted operator license, I would suggest getting one if you have marine SSB and that will cost an extra $60.00 As I stated before:

"According to FCC title 47 section 80.165 Code of Federal Regulations (Revised as of May9, 2008), Operator Requirements for Voluntary Stations, the minimum operator license for ship telephone, with or without DSC, not more than 100 watts carrier power or 400 watts peak envelope power, below 30Mhz, an RP is required.

At the same time, their form 605 schedule E would have you believe that one is not required if you do not intend to engage in international voyages or international communications. The prudent thing to do would be to have one in addition to your station license especially if you are a cruiser."

The restricted radiotelephone operator permit used to be called RP, now it's RR.

Eric
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56   #29

I received this email today from the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron who administer the VHF ROC(M) in Canada:

Quote:
We have received information from the West Coast that the RCMP and other police units that do boat safety checks are looking to see if the operators of boats equipped with marine radios have their Restricted Operator’s Certificate (Maritime). CPS has been told that this will be a priority in that area and that fines could be issued to offenders (although warnings are likely at first).

A similar situation was just reported in the Toronto area. One yacht club has said that because of warnings of this nature, they now have 40 members who want to become certified.

May I suggest that you take full advantage of this situation everywhere in the country by spreading the word that marine police units may be checking for ROC(M)s and offer to put on courses at yacht clubs, marinas, etc. Do not wait for the fall, offer to conduct them now.
I do have the ROC(M) and I am Registered Examiner.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
communications, license, poll