Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 09:35   #31
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40
Re: Please Help: Internet / Cellular / Data / Wifi

Well you would fail a job interview with me seconds after you spouted all that crap. Techs get to do what the radio engineers and managing directors tell them, not the other way around. Readers will have to decide for themselves, since the mods aren't interested in quality of information here.
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 13:03   #32

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdj View Post
Well you would fail a job interview with me seconds after you spouted all that crap. Techs get to do what the radio engineers and managing directors tell them, not the other way around. Readers will have to decide for themselves, since the mods aren't interested in quality of information here.
I’m not sure if your mod comment is a slam or not, but if it is, I don’t believe it’s their responsibility to “be interested in quality of information,” to vet the (technical) input of members. I think they do a pretty good job of keeping the discussions civil and knowing sailors as they do, probably give a lot of latitude before taking action. I, for one, appreciate that long rope, as some of the pissing contests have been pretty entertaining on a boring day!

If I’ve misunderstood your intent and that was your point, apologies.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 16:26   #33

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
That's disagreeable. Shall we compare resumes? I have been a managing engineer and managing director in government and industry in this specific area. If you would like to discuss the merits I'm happy to engage. If you prefer mud slinging than my interest wans.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 18:11   #34

Boat: Freedom 38

We bought a Coastal Marine WiFi Booster several years ago. Works great. Was around $540 US at the time. They supply entire kit ready to install & use. Included antenna, Bullet radio, poe splitter, 12V router (Netgear I believe) and wire. Unit came preconfigured with my network name and password. They also have their own cellphone app (iOS or Android) for operating the system. Also provide great phone tech support. I believe they are located in Vancouver BC.
Sailmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 19:22   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Please Help: Internet / Cellular / Data / Wifi

Quote:

Been contemplating what to do with your post as commenting on Moderation is against the rules.
Decided to try to explain who we Mods are and what we do or try to do anyway.
First we are just Cruisers like anyone else here, no special knowledge, no special training. We Volunteer to try to keep what we believe is a good forum going, we believe it’s a great source of information, a form of entertainment and a place where we can discuss things with like minded individuals.

What we are not is some kind of subject matter experts in this or that field, it’s not our place nor should it be for us to decide who is right and who is wrong, we don’t as Mods apply any kind of filtering on information, to begin with we aren’t qualified, no one could possibly be an expert on everything that is talked about here. It’s up to the members to determine the facts, not us Mods.

Our purpose is to try to keep this a civil and polite place for people to exchange information, ideas and learn about cruising. We also try to ensure the rules are adhered to as their purpose is to keep this a nice civil place. Our members range from professional racers and multiple circumnavigators to people thinking about buying their first boat, and everything in between.

That’s pretty much it, we try to stay in the background, no body likes a heavy hand, us included. We are actually a pretty diverse group of Men and Women with different boats, scattered around the World, and as such and the fact that we are volunteers and cruisers ourselves will hopefully explain why you don’t get instantaneous answers sometimes.

But if someone wanted to have a polite discussion on trying to prove the world was flat, they are entitled to, just keep it polite is all we ask.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 20:26   #36

I agree with most of the tech comments made - but as the OP was interested in minimizing costs a few comments:

As LTE coverage has gotten better and better, the amplifiers are less important. I wouldn't replace mine if it died. The amplifiers really helped in the 3G and earlier days - but 3G today feels like the stone age. Really only good for email. I can count on one hand the number of times in the last year that I needed my amplifier to made a weak LTE or 4G signal usable. You usually either have over 2MB/s or nothing - with or without an amplifier.

Almost as good as an amplifier (and sometimes better) is raising a phone up the mast (and connecting to it as a hotspot). No coax loss. No amplification feedback.

Have an old phone or two on board to use as hotspots with local SIMs. I have two old iPhone 5s. These can be bought for almost nothing on Ebay

Google Fi is great in the Caribbean. Although even there it's not hard to pick up a local SIM for $5 at each new group of islands.

In the Bahamas MyIsland Wifi for $75 unlimited LTE for 10 devices is unbeatable. MyIsland Wifi just announced the same unlimited 10 device deal for the US for $110/month. I'm thinking about trying it and then cutting back my US phone data plans to a minimum. https://myislandwifi.com

In the US, Verizon and ATT beat everyone in non-urban areas. I have a Verizon unlimited Family plan and put a ATT prepaid SIM in the old iPhone when I'm cruising in places with bad Verizon coverage like Maine.

I don't bother with wifi boosters anymore because I hardly ever use Wifi. The pay ones are expensive compared to a SIM. The free ones are hopelessly slow from 7AM to 10PM from other users.

So I would start out with a Verizon or ATT family plan while in the US with unlimited service. Before you head for the Bahamas, dump your Verizon/ATT and get a Google FI and MyIsland Wifi hotspot delivered in Florida before you leave. As you leave the Bahamas, mail back the MyIsland Wifi hotspot and use the Google Fi plus a local SIM in a 2nd phone when you will be staying for a while in one place.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:52   #37

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

We are outfitting a new boat and having to make these decisions now, too. We found this post on the Seabits blog to be very helpful and up to date on current tech. He offers different choices for different budgets, too. https://seabits.com/best-boat-internet-systems/

Although I agree with what folks are saying about wifi rarely being usable these days, if you plan to cruise outside North America and the Caribbean, it is still smart to get something for wifi. A few years ago when we were in Majuro in the Marshall Islands, there was a cellular phone provider, but there was no data available. The only Internet was a paid wifi service. Without a Ubiquiti bullet or something similar, you had to take your laptop ashore to a a restaurant. Even Google Fi needs to ride on the local cellular network, and if there isn't one, there might be wifi.
christinekling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:41   #38

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinekling View Post
Although I agree with what folks are saying about wifi rarely being usable these days, if you plan to cruise outside North America and the Caribbean, it is still smart to get something for wifi. A few years ago when we were in Majuro in the Marshall Islands, there was a cellular phone provider, but there was no data available. The only Internet was a paid wifi service. Without a Ubiquiti bullet or something similar, you had to take your laptop ashore to a a restaurant. Even Google Fi needs to ride on the local cellular network, and if there isn't one, there might be wifi.
Hi Christine! Long time. Working my way through your first books again. Third time is just as good.

Agree with you on the ongoing value of WiFi. The biggest deal aside from places with no cell data is operating system updates for laptops, tablets, and phones. Those can be REALLY big.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 15:26   #39

Boat: Grand Banks, Alaskan, 46

Island time system is excellent. Very reasonably priced and excellent support.
https://www.islandtimepc.com/wifi-systems
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 15:32   #40

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I wouldnt say reasonably priced when you can just buy the ubiquity hardware for a fraction fo the cost
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjorgenson3 View Post
Island time system is excellent. Very reasonably priced and excellent support.
https://www.islandtimepc.com/wifi-systems
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 15:39   #41

Boat: Grand Banks, Alaskan, 46

Yes you can if you are that kind of person that understands the specifics to setup easily. I found it very simple and have had excellent results.

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses and I am not an expert by any means but like to install electronic devices and other boat things simply if possible.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 11:36   #42

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrypeters View Post
Heard that. Not experienced any problem over 6 months with no domestic use. Know of others using it for longer with no problems. YMMV
We have been using our Google Fi for about a year with no problems, but recently heard from a rapidly growing set of other cruisers who left around the same time who have received warnings and now whose phones/cards have ben turned off.

Apparently the "travelers not nomads" thing is being enforced more now than in the past.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 17:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
We bought a Coastal Marine WiFi Booster several years ago. Works great. Was around $540 US at the time. They supply entire kit ready to install & use. Included antenna, Bullet radio, poe splitter, 12V router (Netgear I believe) and wire. Unit came preconfigured with my network name and password. They also have their own cellphone app (iOS or Android) for operating the system. Also provide great phone tech support. I believe they are located in Vancouver BC.
I want to provide a quick update on my prior post regarding Coastal Marine. We continue to enjoy using our WiFi booster system - but recently discovered that Coastal Marine (Vancouver BC) is no longer in business. Last month we ran into some difficulties with our system and tried (for several weeks) to contact the company, which still has an active website on the WWW. After repeatedly emailing, texting & calling current owner’s cell phone, I heard from founder’s wife that the company was no longer operating. I was able to resolve my problem by contacting tech support from TRENDnet, the company that supplied the router for the system.
Old 16-04-2020, 15:21   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmon View Post
I want to provide a quick update on my prior post regarding Coastal Marine. We continue to enjoy using our WiFi booster system - but recently discovered that Coastal Marine (Vancouver BC) is no longer in business. Last month we ran into some difficulties with our system and tried (for several weeks) to contact the company, which still has an active website on the WWW. After repeatedly emailing, texting & calling current owner’s cell phone, I heard from founder’s wife that the company was no longer operating. I was able to resolve my problem by contacting tech support from TRENDnet, the company that supplied the router for the system.
Hi Sailmon,

Just wanted to offer, if you have any other problems with your Coastal Marine WiFi setup, feel free to reach out to me at support@sea-tech.com. I am very familiar with that system and can help you either fix it or augment any failed pieces if necessary. Sorry to hear they are out of business, my first WiFi extender on my own boat was a Coastal Marine WiFi system. I have since gone through a variety of ubiquiti (not generally recommended), Redport, Peplink, and Wave WiFi hardware on my own boat. As a consultant and retailer I have to pick items for sale that I know I can support and won't fail in the field so my wifi extender options are limited but I do have extensive knowledge across the spectrum.

Richard
Old 16-04-2020, 18:54   #45

Thanks Richard. Coastal system working fine now but I will definitely save your contact info.
Bob

Tags
internet, lease, wifi