Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2015, 10:10   #1

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Best way to get cellular internet on the pacific coast of Mexico

Has anybody tried to buy a banda ancha recently? I've heard some rumors that telcel has decided to stop selling them? Is there an alternative?

I have a few iphones we're bringing south, iphone 3gs, 4s, 5, and 5s. All AT&T and all unlocked, except the 4s is verizon unlocked.

Can we get a plan for those that includes data and use the hotspot feature?

Ideally if I can buy from socal or TJ that would be ideal, would like to get it before the haha.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:57   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Best way to get cellular internet on the pacific coast of Mexico

Check with T-Mobile, they're advertising something about Canada & Mexico at no extra charge, so one of their cheap phones (and everyone is no-contract now) might be everything you need.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15   #3

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Check with T-Mobile, they're advertising something about Canada & Mexico at no extra charge, so one of their cheap phones (and everyone is no-contract now) might be everything you need.
That's for calling from US->MX, not service in MX unfortunately.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 14:30   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Roaming in Mexico with a US Cell Phone

Checkout their comment son TMob and TMob's "MetroPCS" subsidiary, which seems to offer $5/month unlimited roaming in Mexico, on their $40 unlimited US plans. Could be cheaper from a Mexican carrier, but worth looking into something that will work (hopefully well) on both sides.

Plenty of room for a tiny SIM chip to get lost on a boat.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 08:22   #5

Boat: Beneteau Evasion 36

Go to Mexico SIM Card | Buy Prepaid, Refillable Telcel SIM Cards. Vince is great. He always responded to our emails promptly. We bought a sim card for our iPhone 5 before leaving the states. You can test it before leaving the states. We purchased a bunch of time online, both voice and data. He monitored our account adding our prepaid minutes as needed. Since he is an English speaker this avoided the hassles involved with getting a banda ancha and reloading. Also the iPhone acted as a hotspot with our iPads and MacBook. Have fun.
Rick Nordby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07   #6

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Nordby View Post
Go to Mexico SIM Card | Buy Prepaid, Refillable Telcel SIM Cards. Vince is great. He always responded to our emails promptly. We bought a sim card for our iPhone 5 before leaving the states. You can test it before leaving the states. We purchased a bunch of time online, both voice and data. He monitored our account adding our prepaid minutes as needed. Since he is an English speaker this avoided the hassles involved with getting a banda ancha and reloading. Also the iPhone acted as a hotspot with our iPads and MacBook. Have fun.
Looks great... was your iPhone 5 ATT, Verizon, or unlocked?
Old 08-09-2015, 20:23   #7

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi, I live in Mexico and the last time a friend sailed in and had no phone service I took an old Telcel SIM card I had lieing around and cut it down to size for his smartphone. He used the Mex. number on the SIM and it worked well for the 2 weeks he was here calling England, Tortola and who knows where else. The Mexico sim Card site is a racket you don't need and at more than double the actual cost.
When you get to Mexico just buy a sim card at a local fast food store (Oxxo) and it will work fine...Everybody here has a smartphone, it is a social thing kinda like a sports car in the economy up there......Don't listen to all the hype and BS...And, when you buy airtime here you get extra...I buy 300 Pesos per month and I get $200(pesos) free...un regalo(gift). The airtime costs me 1 peso per minute for a regular phone. If you want a more detailed account of this email me all_as@hotmail.com and I will have a smart phone user give me ALL the details...I have a friend in Telcel as well so I can get you whatever info you need...
Have fun...it is nice down here...Don't let a phone ruin your time!
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 21:58   #8

Boat: Beneteau Evasion 36

I have an iPhone 5 unlocked. The SIM card was cheap. $10 US I think. As I recall the prices ipaid were the same as we're offered on the Telcel page and it was all in English.
Rick Nordby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 18:22   #9

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
That's for calling from US->MX, not service in MX unfortunately.
Maybe they have only recently changed, but we've been assured that ALL calls in/from/to US/CAN/MEX are free on these plans.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 18:25   #10

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Also:

Check out the various providers coverage maps. You will be OK within sight of land South to about San Quintin and a bit South, then likely nothing until Todos Santos and on to Cabo.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 09:12   #11

Boat: 1988 58’ Vantare

Anyone using T-Mobile in LaPaz just wondering about coverage or is everyone using Tel Cel ? Heading down in November and trying to do some planning,

Thanks
dswizzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, Mexico