Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2020, 06:44   #1

P319 depth transducer - iTC-5 issues

I recently upgraded my boats original 13 year old instrument systems from Raymarine SeaTalk to Seatalk ng (Axiom Pro 9 RVX, Evolution autopilot, Quantum 2 radar and i70s displays at the cockpit). Of the original system the log, depth and wind transducers, and an ST60+ Graphic display at the nav station, remain. The transducers are interfaced to the new backbone with an iTC-5, and the ST60+ via a SeaTalk to SeaTalk ng converter. The depth transducer is an Airmar P319.

However, whilst taking the boat for a haul-out for a hull jet-wash and anode change (first trip out since upgrade) I noticed an issue with the depth indication, which randomly appeared to go erratic. I’ve since discovered that his is also repeatable whilst moored at the dock.

I’ve tried turning everything off, just leaving the Seatalk backbone and instruments powered-up – the same thing randomly happens. The i70 depth indication drops to zero and/or displays four bars, whilst the ST60+ display shows randomly changing digits. I’ve also double-checked the depth transducer wiring and connection to the iTC-5.

A web search throws up various reports of others having the same problem, but there doesn’t appear to be a definitive resolution.

The boat is being hauled out again soon as I'll be replacing the skin fittings, so I could fit a new depth transducer (~ £100 to buy) at the same time, but from what I read in one report this didn’t cure the issue. Or I could spend a lot more and buy a DT800 intelligent transducer that connects to the Seatalk ng backbone, hence bypassing the iTC-5, which is the possible resolution I’m veering towards (although it’s not clear to me how the intelligent sensors actually connect to the SeaTalk ng backbone).

So, if anyone has experienced, and managed to resolve, this one I’d be grateful to learn how, before making a decision on this.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 16:24   #2

Re: P319 depth transducer - iTC-5 issues

End you end up finding a solituion for this issue ?
JBas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 01:43   #3

Re: P319 depth transducer - iTC-5 issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBas View Post
End you end up finding a solituion for this issue ?
Yes, I did, it would appear that the problem was of my making. When I installed the new instruments I cut the P319 cable as it required less than two meters to get to the ITC-5 I installed, as opposed to running to the cockpit. However, the cable is apparently integral to the whole unit and should not be cut, according to RM.
wiekeith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, transducer