Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 10:48   #346

Boat: Moody 44
Re: OpenPlotter project

Sailoog
I asked if you would support reading a fuel sender so I wanted to report that I have setup a MCP3208 on a clean raspbian build, configured my tank sensor as part of a voltage divider and can read the resulting input to Pi using a version of the following code

Analogue Sensors On The Raspberry Pi Using An MCP3008

When do you expect to incorporate MCP3208 support ?

Thanks for all you goord work by the way
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:56   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Is OpenPlotter based on Rasbian Wheezy or Jessie?
Jessie.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:09   #348

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailoog View Post
Jessie.
OK, so the easy thing would be for me to copy the Jessie image of Rasbian onto my uSD, since it now has the Wheezy version. That'll tell me if the difference is in the Jessie build or OpenPlotter. Have you had success with these little displays? Or are most people using VNC?

I wonder if you've ever considered just making a debian (.deb) package for the OpenPlotter application?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:12   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by affinite View Post
Sailoog
I asked if you would support reading a fuel sender so I wanted to report that I have setup a MCP3208 on a clean raspbian build, configured my tank sensor as part of a voltage divider and can read the resulting input to Pi using a version of the following code

Analogue Sensors On The Raspberry Pi Using An MCP3008

When do you expect to incorporate MCP3208 support ?

Thanks for all you goord work by the way
Great!

If it works on a clean raspbian build, it should work on OpenPlotter.

It's difficult to say when. My priority now is the documentation, it could save me a lot of time replying basic questions. I appreciate your help here guys. Besides support on forums I get dozens of daily mails that I can not response

I think the order could be:

Basic Documentation
Multiple DS18B20 sensors
ADC support
Documentation again
Old 07-02-2016, 11:24   #350

Boat: Moody 44

Quote:
Great!

If it works on a clean raspbian build, it should work on OpenPlotter.

It's difficult to say when. My priority now is the documentation, it could save me a lot of time replying basic questions. I appreciate your help here guys. Besides support on forums I get dozens of daily mails that I can not response

I think the order could be:

Basic Documentation
Multiple DS18B20 sensors
ADC support
Documentation again
Agree
You need to get some sort of FAQ going to head off all the individual questions - I'll try and be quiet for a while
affinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:32   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
OK, so the easy thing would be for me to copy the Jessie image of Rasbian onto my uSD, since it now has the Wheezy version. That'll tell me if the difference is in the Jessie build or OpenPlotter. Have you had success with these little displays? Or are most people using VNC?

I wonder if you've ever considered just making a debian (.deb) package for the OpenPlotter application?
Openplotter tries to be as least intrusive as possible on the host system so, what works on a clean raspbian build should work on OpenPlotter RPI. We install many libraries and some custom code but only remove useless libraries like minecraft, development frameworks, etc. in order to fit all the system on a 4GB Sd card.

I have had success with all kind of chinesse displays with not standard native resolution like 800x480. It is a matter to find the right configuration for your display. Raspbian do not have the best documentation here.

Installing OpenPlotter on a host system is as easy as copy the repository to any folder you want so, I don't know if a deb package is worth but maybe yes. when development is done of course.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:32   #352

Thumbs up Re: OpenPlotter project

Hi, this is my first reply to this very cool project, so let me first say thx for this exciting piece of software! It is exactly what i long long searched for!

Yesterday i made my first steps and most worked very good.

Some things dont work, but as im not familar with Linux, im sure that i will bring things up and running with a little research.

My first question is:

I would love to have the raspy with the openplotter as a nmea Server and Wifi hotspot for the boat. Starting OpenCPN fails, but that is not a problem für me, as my "Chartplotter Board PC" has its own OpenCPN and just needs external NMEA data.

I attached a USB AIS Receiver (Seanexx from Austria), and it works as expected. It is recognized as ttyACM0 and broadcasts ist data to other devices in Raspys WLAN.

Next i tried to attach a 3G dongle for internet access.

Interesting things happend:

The first dongle, a ZTE, was recognized as a PPP Modem. Internet Connection worked after input of a PIN.

Next attempt: Huawei Stick. Recognized as a network card: eth1.

Went online without input of a PIN, very strange, but cool...

But, ppp0 or eth1, i could not choose in the "Wifi Access Point" settings for share Internet Connection. The only choice there is none, eth0 or wlan0.

Is there a way to use the 3G dongle to share internet connection as a Wifi hotspot for the boat?

Again, much thx to the guys who run this project! It is one more thing i realy love from spain after tapas and spanish red wine! (sorry, im not a Soccer fan, so this are the two things from spain i love most! )
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:18   #353

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Hi, this is my first reply to this very cool project, so let me first say thx for this exciting piece of software! It is exactly what i long long searched for!

Yesterday i made my first steps and most worked very good.

Some things dont work, but as im not familar with Linux, im sure that i will bring things up and running with a little research.

My first question is:

I would love to have the raspy with the openplotter as a nmea Server and Wifi hotspot for the boat. Starting OpenCPN fails, but that is not a problem für me, as my "Chartplotter Board PC" has its own OpenCPN and just needs external NMEA data.

I attached a USB AIS Receiver (Seanexx from Austria), and it works as expected. It is recognized as ttyACM0 and broadcasts ist data to other devices in Raspys WLAN.

Next i tried to attach a 3G dongle for internet access.

Interesting things happend:

The first dongle, a ZTE, was recognized as a PPP Modem. Internet Connection worked after input of a PIN.

Next attempt: Huawei Stick. Recognized as a network card: eth1.

Went online without input of a PIN, very strange, but cool...

But, ppp0 or eth1, i could not choose in the "Wifi Access Point" settings for share Internet Connection. The only choice there is none, eth0 or wlan0.

Is there a way to use the 3G dongle to share internet connection as a Wifi hotspot for the boat?

Again, much thx to the guys who run this project! It is one more thing i realy love from spain after tapas and spanish red wine! (sorry, im not a Soccer fan, so this are the two things from spain i love most! )
F..k! Someone suggested including these interfaces in share connection and I forgot, sorry

there is a trick that could work, edit this file:

/home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter.conf

and where it says:
Code:
[WIFI] 
enable = 0 
device = 
share = 0 
ssid =  
password =
put
Code:
share = eth1
or
Code:
share = ppp0
save, reset and report what happens please.

starting OpenCPN failed? Why? Do you have a raspberry 1 or zero?

From a country that invest more money in soccer players than R&D you can not expect to be known by projects like this luck of wine and tapas
Old 07-02-2016, 13:33   #354

Hey Sailoog,

even if the country spends less in R&D than in soccer players, you are the one who compensates this!

Thank you for your reply about the web sharing issue, i will give it a try tomorrow, but not now after a bottle of Albali from Valdepenas – just to protect me and my raspy…

About the not starting OCPN: i dont know what the problem is. May be it has problems with my setup with a big HDMI display. When i double klick OCPN on raspys desktop, it tries to start (circling the cursor), and then stops and does nothing. I checked it twice with copiing the img to a SD card, with same result (by the way, ist a Raspy B).

I will check why this happens later. First i need to research for some more linux skills. Im realy experienced in IT and networking, but only with Windows and medium client-server-setups. But im open for other setups. Eg i always give other systems a try. So my board-PC is running Ubuntu, just to try it out, and it works good, even if i sometimes dont understand what im doing there, just cut&paste, but it runs…. 
McElch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 14:27   #355

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
I did some tests with USB GSM modems because I want to implement "send SMS" as an action in the trigger/action system.
what library are you using? being both serial connections should not be a problem supporting USB and UART modules with the same library.

Anyway, pay attention that there is an action called "command" where you can set any linux command to be run by any trigger. Theoretically you could already send a SMS.

I'm using the Angryelectron Fona library for Java from https://github.com/angryelectron/fona, although I've had to add a couple functions and workarounds to the library myself.

I hadn't thought of the command action. That's probably a fine way to do what I want at least in the near term.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Davidasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 15:33   #356
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

FEATURE REQUEST:-

With the BMP180 pressure sensor, in addition to the XDR nmea sentence, would it be possible to have a MDA sentence broadcast similar to the format below?
That would then be recognized and displayed by the dashboard plugin (once it gets fixed, only the barometer history works with this sentence at the moment) and auto logged in the logbook konni plugin in 0penCPN.
Ta

$WIMDA,,,0.9897,B,21.23,C,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*6a
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:01   #357

Quote:
Originally Posted by McElch View Post
Hey Sailoog,

even if the country spends less in R&D than in soccer players, you are the one who compensates this!

Thank you for your reply about the web sharing issue, i will give it a try tomorrow, but not now after a bottle of Albali from Valdepenas – just to protect me and my raspy…

About the not starting OCPN: i dont know what the problem is. May be it has problems with my setup with a big HDMI display. When i double klick OCPN on raspys desktop, it tries to start (circling the cursor), and then stops and does nothing. I checked it twice with copiing the img to a SD card, with same result (by the way, ist a Raspy B).

I will check why this happens later. First i need to research for some more linux skills. Im realy experienced in IT and networking, but only with Windows and medium client-server-setups. But im open for other setups. Eg i always give other systems a try. So my board-PC is running Ubuntu, just to try it out, and it works good, even if i sometimes dont understand what im doing there, just cut&paste, but it runs…. 
Try a cold white wine from Penedès to accompany a good fish or seafood and that will protect you, your raspberry and probably your hub, your whole boat and your friends

Look at this link https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ only the first one will work with opencpn, the rest of them will work perfect as a headless system.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:15   #358

Boat: Chantier duu Port Rézé les Nantes, Mopélia 2000

Quote:
That doesn't sound good. Something similar happened before but I thought it was fixed. Try to open OP in debug mode and copy paste what the terminal says:

Code:
python /home/pi/.config/openplotter/openplotter.py
The capture shows the terminal answer :

Quote:
I think must be a problem with unicode characters (our languages are plenty of ç, à, ñ ...). After debugging and posting try to fix it editing the openplotter.conf file and removing the value of the variable "actions":
Code:
[ACTIONS] 
triggers =  
actions =
then try to set actions again without especial characters.
I found this in that section :

I cleared both fields, saved, rebooted, open OP, created an event, associated an action, applied, close OP and reopened it : the action window was empty , and the problem isn't solved... I'm preparing an other SD to try to repeat the scenario from beginning ...

Quote:
Your message "présence d'eau à tribord" may be the problem.
I agree, it was done by purpose (we called that : donkey testing)

Thank's a lot for your prompt support !
Didier B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:22   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
FEATURE REQUEST:-

With the BMP180 pressure sensor, in addition to the XDR nmea sentence, would it be possible to have a MDA sentence broadcast similar to the format below?
That would then be recognized and displayed by the dashboard plugin (once it gets fixed, only the barometer history works with this sentence at the moment) and auto logged in the logbook konni plugin in 0penCPN.
Ta

$WIMDA,,,0.9897,B,21.23,C,,,,,,,,,,,,,,*6a
We did so before and we switched to XDR because MDA was deprecated.

http://www.nmea.org/Assets/100108_nm...ew_designs.pdf

Although I think dashboard and konni plugins should be which should update, it isn't much work and I can implement both sentences. Do you mind if I mark this as low priority?

This reminds me that I forgot to include the remote virtual switches/instruments panel in the TO DO list that I made yesterday for affinite. It should be something like this:

Basic Documentation
Multiple DS18B20 sensors
ADC support
Documentation again
Remote virtual switches/instruments panel
Feature requests
Old 08-02-2016, 02:33   #360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier B View Post
The capture shows the terminal answer :

I found this in that section :

I cleared both fields, saved, rebooted, open OP, created an event, associated an action, applied, close OP and reopened it : the action window was empty , and the problem isn't solved... I'm preparing an other SD to try to repeat the scenario from beginning ...

I agree, it was done by purpose (we called that : donkey testing)

Thank's a lot for your prompt support !
Never mind, I confirm that was the problem and it was affecting french and catalan translations due to accentuation in actions names.

I have fixed it (I hope this time is true) on dev version. Update typing:

Code:
cd
cd .config 
rm -rf openplotter/  
git clone -b dev https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter.git
I called this "the donkey fixing"

Thanks!