Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 02:30   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Non-Emergency Data Comms, Offshore and Onshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
You can run a Bullet directly from your boats 12 volt buss as long as you do not have a very long cable run (ie. less than about 60').

For a long cable run look for a Tycon TP-DCDC-1224 POE. You could also use any DCDC power supply that can supply a regulated output of 18-24 v at .8 amp or more.
I'm a 24v boat, so couldn't feed directly from the main power supply because the bullet won't take more than 24v. So I was feeding it from a regulated 13.6v power supply, and it worked fine.

I have replaced the bullet with a Routerboard Groove which takes 30 volts, so have rewired it.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 02:43   #17

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I use three types of VOIP:

1. Skype

2. Generic VOIP (using the Zoiper application and CallFreely service provider)

3. My office network.
Perhaps you could add:

4. Apps such as Viber, WhatsApp, available for Android, iPhone, Windows, etc also provide VOIP. I find WhatsApp VOIP quality about as good as Skype but with a lower data overhead.

Viber, Line, Threema, Wickr, etc work well in various jurisdictions depending on the user base in each jurisdiction. Line is great in ThaiLand, for example.
Old 27-06-2016, 02:49   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Perhaps you could add:

4. Apps such as Viber, WhatsApp, available for Android, iPhone, Windows, etc also provide VOIP. I find WhatsApp VOIP quality about as good as Skype but with a lower data overhead.

Viber, Line, Threema, Wickr, etc work well in various jurisdictions depending on the user base in each jurisdiction. Line is great in ThaiLand, for example.
Yes, there are more and more VOIP products available -- it's quite interesting.

I've been using Uber Conference for conference calls lately, which seems to be even better than Skype.

I don't use WhatsApp because of privacy issues, which is even worse now since Facebook acquired them (I don't use Facebook, either).

It would be nice to see a lean, clean, open source, fully encrypted, multi-platform, non-commercial VOIP and messaging system. I bet someone is working on something like that.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 27-06-2016, 04:51   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 - Pamela

The Google fi phone uses wifi for calls when there is no cell coverage or the cell signal is worse than the available wifi connection.

I use my fi phone at my home and office off wifi. I don't have any T-mobile or Sprint coverage in my immediate area. Works great.
Old 30-06-2016, 03:57   #20

Boat: Chesapeake Light Craft Passagemaker, Tyler Craft T42, and 9' RIB.

Glad to see Dockheads comments and give plus 1!

I just got my Bullet Ti M2 yesterday as well as an LCom 12DB antenna.

This stuff is seriously well made.

I also picked up a low end / low cost Linsys 300 series WiFi router.

Took under 15 minutes to update all firmware and get the Linsksys running behind the Bullet.

I have an IT background so I knew going in what was required in configuration of static IP and routing to get things going. I'll try to do a write up in detail but the bottom line was to set up the Linsksys and configure it to use the Bullets default IP address as its gateway.

Also be sure to use a common public DNS like 8.8.8.8 for the DNS in both systems.

Today it's time to mess around with where I get the best signals on the boat.
Ramblingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 03:07   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Small Update:

The world of wireless Internet connections changes year by year, so what was valid one year may already be partially obsolete the next year.

I am using ever more data -- whatever I always did online seems to require more and more bandwidth, and I like to stream BBC and NPR radio, news programs, music on YouTube, and more and more of everything. However much data there is, it never seems to be quite enough.

A real breakthrough for this has been DNA's new PAYG data plan in Finland -- it is TRULY unlimited with apparently no fair use limitations, no throttling. It costs 0.85 euro cents a day (!!!). It works at 4G speeds giving at least 10 -- 15 mbs with practically seamless coverage along the entire Finnish coast. This is simply unbelievable. Let's hope that it's a harbinger of things to come in other countries. I'd sure like to have it in the UK.

The improvement in marina WIFI continues, with more and more ports and marinas having more or less decent wifi connections.

What concerns hardware -- I have not really used my B593 router this year much. I bought a NetGear 785S mifi device which is so good and so handy, that the router hasn't gotten much use. The 785S is pocket sized and has a far easier to use user interface. It is 4G and seems to connect at higher speeds than the B593 (new protocols?). It has a really informative display which shows how many devices are connected, how much data has been used. It has a better built-in antenna than the B593, and the external antenna I bought is far handier than the one for the B593. When you leave the boat you can just unplug it and put it in your pocket, and you carry your connection with you. I have really liked it. It is not a router, however, so doesn't replace all the functions of the B593 (like distributing the connection from the Groove).

I also bought a better external wifi device for my laptop - a TP-Link AC1200. I bought it because I spend a lot of time in random hotels in random countries on business with poorly distributed wifi. I had been using an el-cheapo wifi dongle which was already a big improvement on the built-in wifi in my laptop. But this thing is a great leap forward. It can connect at 5ghz with all the protocols including AC, and suddenly you can get a clear channel and decent speed, where before the connection was almost unusable because of all the interference on 2.4ghz. I love this thing and take it everywhere with me. I've hardly used the Groove because the AC1200 works so well.

So in sum -- rapid technical progress is going on in these fields, and the newer devices are significantly improved compared even to what was being sold last year.

The truly unlimited mobile phone data plan in Finland is the biggest breakthrough. Sharing a metered data connection is really hard because it is hard to configure devices so they don't eat up your whole data allocation. This problem disappears when the connection is no longer metered. I really hope that this becomes more widespread.
Walt Whitman
Old 04-09-2016, 04:44   #22

Boat: Oceanis 42CC

Bought a bullet and 8db Aerial for £30 and a £20 tp link router.

Works just great.

I can now log onto the wifi in the nearest cafes which can be over 100m away and then distribute out to my boat via the router. I only have to configure the bullet once and every other device chats via the boat.

It is not tricky at all. If anyone gets stuck drop me a line and will talk you through the set up.

Andy
squirty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 00:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirty34 View Post
Thank you so much. I was looking at the ubiquiti bullet, but was unsure if it would work. I am struggling to locate a 12v input 24v output POE adapter. Is there one you could recommend?

Thanks

Andy

One option you have is a regular POE switch which can be run off 12v then a POE adapter for 12 or 24v devices from like WIFI Texas on Amazon.

I recommend if running a 12v device off 12v battery to use a DC step down converter set at about 13v to limit the voltage during charging or equalizing batteries etc. Most of the networking devices are 12v and a 2.1mm plug available on Amazon etc. One can connect 2.1mm pigtails for multiple devices like cameras routers etc. Just don't overload the converter max amperage output.
MrMotofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 05:58   #24

Boat: Grampian, 23

Are the apps Yellowbrick or DeLorme just running through laptop? Or are you using them from a tablet/smart phone.
Tidjian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 06:38   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidjian View Post
Are the apps Yellowbrick or DeLorme just running through laptop? Or are you using them from a tablet/smart phone.
They are not apps. They are satellite messaging devices. Basically sat phones without voice capability.

See:

https://explore.garmin.com/en-GB/inreach/

https://www.ybtracking.com/

Delorme was bought by Garmin, so it's now the Garmin InReach.
Walt Whitman
Old 05-09-2019, 08:47   #26

Holy schmolie. Sounds like a Borg assimilation plan. Ill stick to my empty wine bottles and a note.
dakardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:54   #27

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakardad View Post
Holy schmolie. Sounds like a Borg assimilation plan. Ill stick to my empty wine bottles and a note.
Maybe that message in a bottle will reach someone sooner than the age of this thread...almost 2 years old!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:03   #28

Ya, l noticed. Nothing has changed except the Borg is bigger.
dakardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:52   #29

Boat: Catalina 470 47 feet

Starlink is going to blow away all vendors for off shore data. Don't know what the timeframe is but its coming. $99 per month for 200 meg streaming. Right now I am using 3 hotspots at my marina cause the internet is so poor there. I will use it at the marina as well.
jayarmstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2022, 07:02   #30

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayarmstrong View Post
Starlink is going to blow away all vendors for off shore data. Don't know what the timeframe is but its coming. $99 per month for 200 meg streaming. Right now I am using 3 hotspots at my marina cause the internet is so poor there. I will use it at the marina as well.
While Starlink is likely going to be impressive for maritime use it is unlikely to be that cheap or capable.

Comparing current residential service to maritime service is a mistake. Starlink for residential fixed location users is $99 because that is what it needs to be to compete. As we have see from traditional gso satellite service maritime use is much much more expensive.

The second is that Starlink is power hungry. That state of the art and downright impressive phased array antenna sucks down the juice. Power consumption is about 100w when receiving spiking to 150w when transmitting.

It will be a game changer for sure but if you think you are going to get exactly what terrestrial residential users get for exactly the same price you are likely going to be disappointed. I guess we will see in the next couple years.
Statistical is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, offshore