Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2022, 07:11   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Non-Emergency Data Comms, Offshore and Onshore

I agree think the difference between iridium and cell costs. I’d assume 5-10x costs.
Old 30-12-2022, 09:44   #32

Boat: ?
Re: Non-Emergency Data Comms, Offshore and Onshore

starlink has finite resources.... the prices differences beween home/business/marine/rv/swarm plans imo is just about priority...

you can easily outspec starlinks marine for half the price and get better performance at 1/15 the price with dual HP motion dishes connected to a dual WAN router.

the problem is when that superyacht with the dual panel comes to anchorage and a plane paying 20k a month is in vicinity .. you're gonna get throttled.

every single time.

re: power

not an issue for most cruisers..
i'm guessing most simply won't use while underway if their solar/power inputs are insufficient.
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 18:43   #33

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm writing this 30 miles off the Baja coast on Starlink. Don't know how far out it will reach. Does texting over the normal smartphone app. It seems available 75% of the time. I tried a whatsapp call to my wife. She was very clear, but there were a lot of drops and reconnects.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2023, 06:24   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
While Starlink is likely going to be impressive for maritime use it is unlikely to be that cheap or capable.

Comparing current residential service to maritime service is a mistake. Starlink for residential fixed location users is $99 because that is what it needs to be to compete. As we have see from traditional gso satellite service maritime use is much much more expensive.

The second is that Starlink is power hungry. That state of the art and downright impressive phased array antenna sucks down the juice. Power consumption is about 100w when receiving spiking to 150w when transmitting.

It will be a game changer for sure but if you think you are going to get exactly what terrestrial residential users get for exactly the same price you are likely going to be disappointed. I guess we will see in the next couple years.

WE now have Starlink and we are NOT seeing this type of power usage. Even the dish is searching we see something around 70W. When it is not searching we are in the 40W range. We have plenty of battery/solar to carry this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, offshore