Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2016, 12:19   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: NO more Garmin for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You certainly have the right to not purchase Garmin products if you so choose, but your stated reason for doing so is beyond stupid. As pointed out way back, you don't own the software, you are buying the right to use it. It's no different than Microsoft Window or MS Word.

If you are hoping to start a boycott of Garmin, lots of luck with that.
I really could care less anymore. It was information for others who might want to sell on anything like I did that somebody else might find useful I am retiring from boating full stop, boat sold and so freaking depressed I'm beyobd help. On top of which I just got ticked off by a moderator for using red text in my original post to highlight the copied and pasted email. I Think I will just fade away and die off stage in a quiet corner.

OVER and freakin OUT.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:34   #32

I would copy that letter and email it to Garmin marine customer service. Explain that you have already uploaded it on an international cruiser's blog and ask them if it true. If it is really their intention to render the second hand value of every piece of their gear worthless. If they really mean for you to use their plotter for three years then throw it overboard.
I too have used Garmin's aviation stuff. And I found the user interface unnecessarily complicated and their update service ridiculously expensive. I went with Lowrance Airmap instead and loved it.
I would never put their stuff on my boat. I would be temped to suggest the law firm commit an unnatural act with themselves.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:48   #33

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I believe that I predicted the end of the traditional chartplotters was soon to come, just like the buggy whip.

Mobile apps allow the transfer of chart data to new devices as you upgrade. I'm still using the charts I purchased from Navionics 6.5 years ago with the annual updates. Only had to pay once, and that was about a tenth of what the European charts would have cost if I purchased the Garmin set.

My boat's got Garmin 3210s, but now they won't even sell me new chart data for it. And their connectors are crap and prone to failure. I'm done with Garmin.

I do like the idea of a well-tested, vetted GPS unit. But my next move will likely be a generic, ruggedized tablet.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 14:57   #34

Boat: Catalina 30

I happen to still prefer GARMIN products and maps. I had a bluewater 2 card on my previous boat, but was told the card was not transferable to a new chart reader. Did think that was a stupid restriction on their part if true. Bought a SIMRAD EVO 2 instead of a newer GARMIN on advice of the sales person. It is OK, but the navionics chart sucks. It was not cheap, and it does not give me a NAVIGABLE route to a waypoint like the GARMIN card did but an 'AS THE CROW FLIES' direction. Nor was it a buy once item. Upgrades cost almost as much as the original card did. AND they want me to upload my sonar readings to them FOR FREE so I can pay to get the updated data back....
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin