Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 07:46   #1

Depth finder mount: Playdoh!

Yup, Playdoh, or other such child's modelling clay.

Wanted to test fitting my transom mount transducer inside the hull and shooting through. Having read about creating a fluid filled wet well to put the transducer in, I didn't want to go this route until I had determined a clean location for best signal. With the idea being that the transducer needs "solid" contact all the through the hull I took a lump of Playdoh and made a thick bed to push the transducer into. The unit is a raymarine WiFish BTW. Worked great, which surprised me. I need to pull the unit out and hang it over the side on a pole as a "gold standard" test for comparison, but in the meantime the Playdoh is good enough for testing purposes. Hope this helps, definately not intended as a long term installation method!!
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 11:08   #2

Re: Depth finder mount: Playdoh!

That was resourceful.

I tested transducer locations by putting the depth transducer into a baggie with some water and moving that around. This seemed to work too.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2016, 12:16   #3

Re: Depth finder mount: Playdoh!

Followup is that in deeper than about 35' no depth on the screen. Suspect Playdoh is not the best sonar conductor. Like the baggie trick, will try it next.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth