Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 05:41   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: New SPOT 3 / GEN3 tracker - FAIL!

if it is too bright, do as others have done--place it in a sock or behind something--i sonl common sense.

is something special to complain about a cheapo toy when things can be done to fix the minor complaints.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:46   #17

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

From the SPOT1 ownwers manual -
Quote:
Activatespotcastings mode:
Press and hold the OK √ button for more than 5 seconds. The green indicator will begin blinking every 3 seconds, and the SPOTteam members you have given access to your online account can view your progress. Your exact location is updated every 10 minutes for 24 hours. To continue tracking after 24 hours, you must activate the unit again. Once activated, the OK √ indicator light will blink green every 3 seconds, and turn solid green for 5 seconds when a SPOTcasting message is being sent. SPOTcheck must be inactive for SPOTcasting to be activated.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:19   #18

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

I use an inReach as the spot turned out to be............ spotty
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 12:43   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Perhaps "FAIL!" is a bit harsh?

I regularly put red electrical tape over offending LEDs. That's not going to be a deal-breaker for me if the gear otherwise works.

You don't like the web interface. Perhaps if people complain the Spot folks will improve it. That's a relatively easy thing to do.

It sounds like the important features are working.
Use a small patch of Tail-Light Tape. Cuts the light pollution down but allows one to see the LED's
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 23:03   #20

99% of spots are in a backpack. therefor 99% of users don't care about the lights...

most things made for a boat are too bright. even a lot of nav systems and vhf radios etc don't dim much. whiteout works...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 23:55   #21

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

The lights don't really bother me. Sure, on a dark dash you'll need to put the thing face down or put some tape on it... big deal.

The flags are a website coding issue; they made a bad call on that. Should be dots or something. Not really a deal breaker for me. I like USB charging because most of my other stuff is like that; phone, spare gps, spare VHF, even my flashlight has it now - go get yourself a Hexbright Flex.

This thing still beats my current Spot I reckon, but not enough to bother upgrading.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:37   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
(...) most things made for a boat are too bright. even a lot of nav systems and vhf radios etc don't dim much. whiteout works...
+1!

This is also my impression. I switch everything off when on a night watch.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:48   #23

Boat: Joubert Koala 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+1!

This is also my impression. I switch everything off when on a night watch.

b.
I must admit, I turn everything off too. Can't see nav lights on the horizon with any kind of lighting on deck.

I did a yacht transfer years ago with nav lights which weren't blocked properly from shining back into my eyes an I had to turn them off. Yes, off - I went invisible for a bit. I was in the middle of nowhere at the time so the risk was limited, and it did let me see the bay I was aiming for by spotting the anchor lights. I still be there if I'd left them on. Poor design. I taped them over after that, and now I always check for this issue when on a new boat.
Tomm0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:57   #24

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

For the price of the unit and the service, I think dealing with an over-bright LED is really picking nits. I guess the flag thing should be fixed, but that's on the web page side.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:00   #25

Boat: Mac 26X
Of course this is all just opinion so it doesn't really matter. But I'm curious by now has the OP re thought this review? It sounds like the product does exactly what it was designed to do, and has too bright light and too big A flag. If this was the only review I read I'd run out and buy the thing!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:32   #26

Still stand by my post. The spotadventures is a problem, but wont sink my boat. The bright LED, to me, is still cause for a recall by SPOT. They did it on a previous verson of SPOT.

Will just take one accident to put it in the limelight, and they have documentation by me, audio recordings, my posts here, and elsewhere that prove THEY KNEW about this and did nothing.

Remind me.. ill shoot a video to show how insanely bright this is. turns the windshield green.

problem is.. the device DOES work as advertised, and having a hard time getting myself to return it, but want to for spite, because of the way they are brushing me off. Their C/S reps are still way too 'green'. Their supervisors could care less. Very unprofessional, IMO.

A safety device really has to be perfect. I wouldn't buy a car that has a 99% chance of the air bag going off at the right time! Sure this is minor on the surface, but the one time when it does get in the way, it will be a bad day for SPOT.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:46   #27

I did update another post - http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1304783 that I posted in before, promoting the new features

full disclosure- WebBoatWatch contacted me (again) to test their cell based tracker. Not for me - not satellite based and no call center like spot. No doubt will work for some. but not for me. Their product, to me, is even more dangerous - as it has the ability to remotely disable the vehicle. I can see my wife getting an alert that the boat has moved (because the mechanic I hired is doing a sea trial) ...and she kills the engine causing him to crash (or worse).
(edit) I don't know how you remotely disable a running diesel engine..but still its on their website as a capabiltiy to cut the fuel supply (in addition to having a starter kill - which is the only way to go. even car alarms do not disable a running car!) (end edit)
Old 07-08-2013, 10:24   #28

What's really odd is that they are not real clear about their annual subscription. West Marine says $99, REI says $149, and Spot claims $49. Also confusion over the enhanced tracking, etc. Seems with Spot 3 you get all this for $49/year.

It looks like the reporting interval can be set, buy may require a device update or reset.

Seems like a deal at $149 + $49/year. Thanks for starting this discussion!
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 13:30   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
What's really odd is that they are not real clear about their annual subscription. West Marine says $99, REI says $149, and Spot claims $49. Also confusion over the enhanced tracking, etc. Seems with Spot 3 you get all this for $49/year.

It looks like the reporting interval can be set, buy may require a device update or reset.

Seems like a deal at $149 + $49/year. Thanks for starting this discussion!
Yea I noticed that.

spot3 has its own subscription. not all the sites are up to date

It is a flat 149.99 with basic tracking (10 minute interval and for only 24 hours then you need to start tracking again).

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=103

unlimited tracking (customizable interval) is $49 more. This adds customizable tracking (5-60 minutes) and no reset at 24 hours, and motion sensing tracking

I got basic with unlimited - so $200/yr + geos insurance
Old 07-08-2013, 14:14   #30

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You're lucky your Spot works at all. My brother just bought one for his daughter to take on a 2 week backpacking trip, and it never posted one position.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote