Figured I would update this thread as SPOT has introduced the SPOT generation 3 tracker.
Although there are 2 huge flaws - lights are blinding at night, and the spotadventures tracking is next to useless now.. there are a LOT of new, improved features (NO I do not work for SPOT - actually I am not a fan as of late, but I still try and be fair and open minded)
It now offers (some extra cost)
- 'unlimited' tracking - which WILL NOT shut off at 24 hours! And as granular as every 2 minutes! Customizable!
- 'unauthorized movement' notification - will alert you via email and text, AND alert Boat/US (IF you purchase the boat/us help alert feature) and they will coordinate a search for your boat!
- USB power - can power via boats battery!
- software upgradable!
- a second 'ok' button - they call it 'custom message'
- tracking will STOP of your boat is in the same location (won't have 2000 flags at your mooring!) Will resume posting tracks once the boat has movement!
- more versitle mounting
- a lot lighter and smaller than spot-1
Might have missed something.. but thats the gist.
That said, as I mentioned in another post, I think the SPOT 3 needs to be recalled and fixed. It is very dangerous to use at night, as the green LEDS are blinding and will ruin your night vision, cause a constant, annoying distraction if within eyeshot.
But these are features We SPOT users have been waiting for. Now if they would just fix SPOTAdventures and the unreasonably bright, and not dimable, LEDs it would be close to perfect.