Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2013, 18:56   #1

Boat: csy 37
MyNOAACharts on Android Tablet

anybody out there using this?

i just installed it on my samsung galaxy tablet. easy to get from the google play store. the application has a built in 'loader' for any or all of the NOAA charts AND coast pilots.

having a good time playing with it....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 18:58   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: MyNOAACharts on android tablet

what is the cost? Can you download & save for the times you are away from service?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 19:16   #3

sorry, should have been more informative the first time.

it's provided by NOAA, my favorite taxpayer supported government agency, and is absolutely free. just look it up on the google play store and download it.

it has a menu which allows you to install charts and/or coast pilots from all of the regions around the usa and offshore, one region at a time. it will use the gps facility on your tablet to track you across the charts.

i haven't had time yet to really play with it but if all you ever use it for is just to view charts it's worth the cost - which is zero.

i tried to download it to my samsung galaxy adnroid phone but google play store wouldn't allow that. apparently it's only available at the tablet level for now.
Old 19-12-2013, 20:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I was looking at an android device the other day for $200. There was some confusion in the big box store regarding GPS. Does your device have a GPS?

Thanks
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 20:14   #5

i'm still educating myself on tablets. my samsung galaxy tablet has gps, but i don't think it's the kind of gps that we sailors use; it's some kind of cell tower assisted location which i'm not familiar with. it's called A-GPS and i think it uses the cell tower to give it a general location and then refines that down to a real location. but don't quote me on this.

if anyone out there can enlighten me on this i'm all ears....
Old 19-12-2013, 20:48   #6

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
i'm still educating myself on tablets. my samsung galaxy tablet has gps, but i don't think it's the kind of gps that we sailors use; it's some kind of cell tower assisted location which i'm not familiar with. it's called A-GPS and i think it uses the cell tower to give it a general location and then refines that down to a real location. but don't quote me on this.

if anyone out there can enlighten me on this i'm all ears....
If your phone has a GPS it is a real GPS and only uses the cell towers to acquire the satellites more quickly. It's the same GPS technology sailors use. The accuracy might not be as good as a dedicated receiver but it should be good enough for general sailing. And if out of range of cell towers it will still work.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 21:29   #7

Downloading and installing on my nexus 7. thank you for sharing Ill let you all know how it works if I have a chance to remember I have it with me next time I go sailing.
Unkle Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2013, 21:47   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

> The accuracy might not be as good as a dedicated receiver but it should be good enough for general sailing.

I find the GPS on my Motorola Xoom tablet and on my Samsung Galaxy phone are both just as accurate as my Garmin 78SC.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 04:34   #9

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
> The accuracy might not be as good as a dedicated receiver but it should be good enough for general sailing.

I find the GPS on my Motorola Xoom tablet and on my Samsung Galaxy phone are both just as accurate as my Garmin 78SC.
I said "might' because not all phone GPS receivers have WAAS. But for boating purposes that is not a big deal unless you depend on a previous track to guide you through a very narrow hazard. Do Samsung units have WAAS enabled?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 04:46   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

No WAAS in this part of the world
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 04:52   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The gps on my Sony Xperia android phone registers when I move my hand across the table, maybe 2 - 3 ft. It also has very quick acquisition times as it uses the cell towers to assist in positioning.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 05:13   #12

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

Thanks onestepCSY37 for the posting. I have the nexus 7 on my wish list and this app would be great to have.

David
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 05:40   #13

If it works the same way as Apples A-GPS (and it probably does), you need not be concerned with accuracy. Even without WAAS, GPS is accurate to within about 3 meters, and cell phone towers are used only to give the unit a rough location to hasten startup. This is useful only if the unit was moved a long way while turned off, or if it has been turned off for a long time (weeks or months).
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 06:43   #14

thanks all you guys for educating me about tablet/cellphone gps. i was always a bit skeptical about how much of a gps you could cram into such a small device that was not dedicated to gps only.

as far as accuracy to a few meters, i don't need it and don't think any sailor should; if things are that close you should be looking out the window, not at your gps!

i think you will really like mynoaacharts, even if you just use it to download the whole chart catalog to your tablet and view them. it's really easy to use at that level.

one thing i've already learned; use the + and - buttons to zoom in and out of a place you're looking at. at some levels you get detail and at other levels you don't. takes a bit of experimenting to learn this. i'm not faulting noaa - my coastal explorer chart reader does the same thing.

Tags
charts