Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 06:00   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Music storage and access

We use a Western Digital My Passport Wireless 2 TB Wi-Fi Mobile Storage hard drive. It can even stream multiple movies to multiple devices at the same time.

I use WinX DVD Ripper Platinum to rip all our movies to the drive and also imported our entire music library which was imported at 256 kbps so is quite large (over 70 GB of music).

The WD Wi-Fi simply creates a hot spot on-board and streams what ever you want over wi-fi.. It also has a built in battery (we also use it on planes and during travel) & charges easily from a 12V dual USB socket.

For 12V USB sockets all I use now are the Scosche USBC242M which are 12W each port or 2.4A per port for a total output of 4.8A. These Scosche 12V USB chargers can handle 2 iPad Air's with ease and I've never been able to kill one (murdered many inferior ones though). I also recommend these to customers and have never had one of theirs die either.. Most USB 12V chargers are PURE JUNK!

While I can stream music from the hard drive via iTunes I have a 128GB phone so it all fits. Usually I am using Spotify and their "offline mode" capability. I think I have well over 80 albums & playlists stored for "offline mode". Spotify is the best $10.00 per month I have ever laid our for a subscription service as I use it every day, while I work, via a Bluetooth portable speaker..........

On the boat all music is streamed to the stereo via Bluetooth so my phone is the remote......

If you have an Android simply invest in a 128 GB or 256 GB MicroSD card and all your music will fit right on your smart phone. I paid $52.00 on sale at Staples for my SanDisc 256 GB Micro SD card..... Easy, as it gets.... If only Apple could be so smart (or not so arrogant) I would not be limited to 128 GB on my current phone.....
Old 03-07-2015, 07:59   #47

Boat: Skookum 53'

I just plug the drive into my laptop and manage it from there, I also have the old 160 GB IPod that I plug into the car stereo type player and I can play my music for 2 months constantly and never hear the same song twice. I am not as tech savy as some here so I don't have all the bells and whistles.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:34   #48

I also have a Fusion system with the Unidoc. I can plug in music via ipod, Android, USA device. For movies you need an ISO
disc to play via Fusion connected to your TVTV as it won't play avi files but I just plug a USB drive into the TVV.

It works and I update the 32Gb memory stick when I need a change.

Cheers
Chris
Hemera SM031
Flacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:43   #49

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
I like music, a lot. I don't have enough space on my boat for all the CDs that I would like to have aboard. So, I'd like to create a computer storage system for music that I could then play on my stereo ( a new Fusion). It would be especially cool if there was a database function so I could search for and retrieve selected works (and especially excerpts). Does anyone have an idea how this could be done? Will MP3 work for this?
Hi Roy,

You ask a good question that has many answers.

My favorite short version has already been mentioned by others in this thread, and assumes you have a computer (Mac or Windows). It is as easy as downloading a program (I prefer iTunes) and then inserting your music CDs one at a time for it to copy the music from them (~3-5 minutes each...)

Here is a brief tutorial on the topic.

From my experience, I chose the AAC format [mentioned in the above article] to optimize the quality and minimize the storage requirements for each song. You could also use the more universal MP3 format at the cost of slightly larger file size per song... It really doesn't matter; you will always have your CDs in storage and can do it again to take advantage of future technology...

The other hint I can offer assuming you have many CDs to copy [or rip as they say...] is to mark each one as you finish ripping it. (I stuck a colored dot on each representing the format- AAC in this example- so if I want to re-rip them in a different format in the future, I know what I already did...) I mention this because one you have done one or two, you will likely feed CDs to your computer while doing something else, and it is easy to loose track of which ones you already ripped...

As to what device to use to feed your music to your music playing system, there are lots of options, and some answers will depend upon what you already have or intend to use... That is almost a separate topic.

If I were asking these questions and had to make a decision today, and didn't already have a device, I would consider an iPad so I could use it for music and navigation, among other things... spend the $ on storage if you go this route; more is better given what you desire to do.

However, there are many options out there to choose from... Choose what you are most comfortable with.

In hopes this offers some clarity- at least from the perspective of how I chose to use my music while traveling...

Cheers!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:39   #50

iTunes annoys the hell out of me at times. It sometimes stops and always changed bac to the default directory when I used to keep my music on a network server....

But I mainly use it to get music to my iPhone. I have 6000 songs on my phone and use that to play music onboard. I bought a cheap wifi music streamer that works as an AirPlay device which I connected to the stereo. Now I play music over the wifi onboard

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 03-07-2015, 12:26   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

iTunes)
You & me both. I have no idiot desire to open an account and provide a credit card number, just so I can listen to my own music on my own devices. Other than that, the software just doesn't impress me.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 13:31   #52

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
iTunes)
You & me both. I have no idiot desire to open an account and provide a credit card number, just so I can listen to my own music on my own devices. Other than that, the software just doesn't impress me.
There is no such requirement at all for using iTunes. It seems like the people who have never used iTunes are happy creating and believing any facts they want to make up and ignoring the actual facts explained by those who do use iTunes regularly.

It is OK not to like something, but not OK to just make up any old derogatory fantasy about it and call it fact.

The only reason one needs an account and credit card is if one wishes to purchase music, movies, etc. And even then you don't need a credit card, since there are other payment methods available. Please point to any music/movie purchase site where these are not required.

iTunes is fully functional as a disconnected, stand-alone program that allows one to put all their music into it, in many different formats - none proprietary, and organize that music in any way they wish. No account or credit card is needed to do this, and they can put that music on any music player they wish with no restrictions.

To imply that those who do use it are idiots is idiotic - particularly when one doesn't have any of their facts correct.

I realize I am wasting my breath in this thread by providing real facts...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 13:40   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Mark-
I know when I tried to install iTunes, in order to satisfy some nonsense, I was prompted and nagged to OPEN AN ACCOUNT and supply a credit card for it. Don't recall why they wanted it, because I wasn't purchasing anything, but THEY DID.

Now, if Apple has gotten smarter on this, or perhaps it isn't required for all install options...good for them.

Coming from a PC, where MPV v11 has finally gotten most of the bugs out (it allows WAV tag editing now, it couldn't do that previously) I have to say there's no apparent reason for a Wintel user to be using iTunes.

"To imply that those who do use it are idiots is idiotic " If you're talking to me, please show me where I called anyone an idiot. I don't think I've mentioned idiots on line since I saw the bumper sticker about Geo. Bush's native village missing an idiot after he moved to DC.

Wrong facts? No, must outdated ones. Different from the ones you have apparently experienced in more recent editions. It might be great software, now. So might RealPlayer. But that spent so many years being ghoulware (software that insidiously installs into the host and refuses to be cast out forever after) that many of us will never touch a product with that name on it.

iTunes? Just no need for it, for many of us.
Old 03-07-2015, 13:49   #54

"I have no idiot desire to open an account and provide a credit card number"

I found this sentence to imply that those who do use it and open accounts are idiots. I'm not offended, just wanted to point out that it is silly.

Your facts are not outdated, they are wrong. I have been using iTunes since the day it came out and can assure you that an account and CC# are not required and never have been. You may have seen nag screens, but it is obvious you did not understand them.

If you still can't believe that, consider that iTunes existed for 4 years before Apple opened a music store. There was simply no way to enter a CC#, nor anything to buy for those first 4 years. Also consider that Mac's come preinstalled with iTunes and it is perfectly useable right out of the box. If you don't believe that, visit any store selling macs and use iTunes there - do you think they have opened accounts and give CC#'s on all of those computers?

Strange that you post how much iTunes doesn't impress you and doesn't do what you need, then state that you never installed it. Doesn't sound like you have much experience with it to make any statements about it.

Again, I don't care what people use - I'm just providing real facts for all the fantasy here.

Congrats on MPV getting some of iTunes functionality 15yrs later. That must have been a frustrating wait.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 03-07-2015, 14:10   #55
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

When did I say I never installed iTunes? I did in fact in stall it, several times for several version. Never KEPT it installed, never found a great USE for it. So I've never "installed" it as a part of a permanent system. But that doesn't mean I haven't installed and removed it.

Last time was around two years ago when some "we'll automatically clean up all the tags in all your music files" software said it would work best when installed with iTunes. Eh, it didn't. Another product that came...worked very well with limits for some, and apparently has gone back into limbo. Pulled the last iTunes after that one flopped.

Bottom line is still that for a Wintel or Android user? iTunes doesn't offer anything compared to any of the other music players, if that's what you are trying to so. Apparently you do something more and have some other reason to love it.

If someone has a need to purchase things on iTunes, then supplying a credit card number wouldn't be an idiot desire. But for someone like me, with no intent of buying anything from them, seeing a sign-up screen that required a credit card (and I don't care what your experience was, that was mine, and it was equally real and valid) would be idiotic.
I'd be terribly surprised if you'd installed every option of iTunes, in every version. And unless you'd also owned every Windows OS over the years...the options you were given would have also differed many times.
Old 03-07-2015, 14:47   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Fast fwd to now...

I was shocked to recently see good to excellent quality LPs selling online for $30 to over $100!!! AAARRRRGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

If only I had known...
Interesting that you said that...

I still have a pretty large collection of LPs in great shape in a heavy duty plastic storage box. I have moved that box several times but I am afraid to open the box and check on the LPs.

Today in our local county email digest, someone was saying that they buy old LPs and they give good prices... Hmmm, said I. I know there is a market for LPs and the LPs are making comeback, I wonder how much LPs are going for on the market? Wow! $30! I could have a fortune!

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 22:30   #57

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

Don't forget those old iPhones friends may have laying around, they make a good iPod.
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:34   #58
RNW

+1 for Windows solutions. If you don't like Windows media player, there are dozens of free media player program for your MP3. They all do searching, sorting and playlist management.

Likewise, there are lots of mp3 players other than Ipod that do a great job.
Being tied to the Apple 'system' is just a nuisance.

Now the most obvious solution hasn't been mentioned here. Most inexpensive multi-media phones ( i use a cheap Samsung phone with Android operating system) do a great job of storing and playing MP3 files, when connected to inexpensive speaker/amplifier modules like the ones attached to your computer, or even better in high power 12v car sound systems.
RNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:23   #59
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
But for someone like me, with no intent of buying anything from them, seeing a sign-up screen that required a credit card (and I don't care what your experience was, that was mine, and it was equally real and valid) would be idiotic..
Just installed itunes again today onto a reformatted win7 machine, option box came up with request for credit card "ïf you wish to buy anything from the itunes store". Can't ever remember it being anything different in previous installs but maybe my memory isn't that great.

Anyway, I'd gladly using something else but would miss the itunes genius feature, is there an android/win alternative which can do the same as good as itunes does?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 04:59   #60

Quote:
When did I say I never installed iTunes? I did in fact in stall it, several times for several version. Never KEPT it installed, never found a great USE for it. So I've never "installed" it as a part of a permanent system. But that doesn't mean I haven't installed and removed it.

Last time was around two years ago when some "we'll automatically clean up all the tags in all your music files" software said it would work best when installed with iTunes. Eh, it didn't. Another product that came...worked very well with limits for some, and apparently has gone back into limbo. Pulled the last iTunes after that one flopped.

Bottom line is still that for a Wintel or Android user? iTunes doesn't offer anything compared to any of the other music players, if that's what you are trying to so. Apparently you do something more and have some other reason to love it.

If someone has a need to purchase things on iTunes, then supplying a credit card number wouldn't be an idiot desire. But for someone like me, with no intent of buying anything from them, seeing a sign-up screen that required a credit card (and I don't care what your experience was, that was mine, and it was equally real and valid) would be idiotic.
I'd be terribly surprised if you'd installed every option of iTunes, in every version. And unless you'd also owned every Windows OS over the years...the options you were given would have also differed many times.
OK, we are stuck on the semantic of "install" vs. "use". So you technically "installed" iTunes because a couple of other programs needed it for an underlying engine. Those programs didn't work for you, so you uninstalled iTunes.

Let me rephrase and say that you have never had much experience with iTunes.

Everything else you have posted so far has been factually wrong.

If you did have any real experience with the program, you would have known that. I don't know how you can so emphatically state that other programs are superior when you admittedly have no real experience with the one you are comparing to.

I have installed and used every version of iTunes since the first one. I have never used iTunes on Windows Vista, so if you need an out, you can claim that a single iTunes version on Windows Vista has all the problems, gotcha's and evilness that you have posted, while being completely the opposite on all other platforms and versions. I doubt that would be correct, but have no desire to prove it.

As for how I use iTunes, I simply use it as a database to store and organize all of my personal music and to sync our iPod when I add new music - the iPod stays connected to the stereo and is our main music source. In this use, iTunes is never connected to the internet and we don't buy any music from Apple.

Apple does have my CC# because I occasionally buy iPad applications. However, Google and others also require a CC# to purchase apps on other platforms. Never have I had anything nefarious done with my CC by Apple.

Mark

Tags
music, storage