Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 15:17   #1

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Music and Video ?

Guys and gals... looking to upgrade the tunes and the TV on the boat... thinking Samsung LCD for the TV.... but no idea what to tie it all to...

Would love a sound system that runs off a hard drive with a remote ( that also works for the movies ) and good sound, but of course little or preferably no power use?

Anyone got or have ideas on something that can do this...? Dont really want to run a computer to do it. I know the samsung will run straight off the hard drive.. but looking for a system that ties it all together...?
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:11   #2
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
bit vague there mate... 12v, 24v, 240v? battery operated or power pack? mp3 and/or discs? Passive or active speakers? I run my psp through my studio reference monitors, I get 4 to 5 hrs battery life, dvd quality movies and I get to kill Nazis on the big screen. I should add here that the movies are smaller than dvd (about half a gig) and the music quality is good enough for your use.
Henry Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 16:30   #3

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Look at the latest Samsung LED TV range. My 32" one consumes 45 watts - less than LCD. Latest ones have optional WiFi hook-up with YouTube, Facebook widgets, InfoLink etc. & I believe in top range models a web browser.

You can leave a hard drive powered via USB permanently hooked up to TV to watch movies, music & pictures.

If in doubt RTFM
richardhula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:03   #4

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Boats 12 v with 110 inverter..... prefer to keep as much as possible 12v, except the tv.....
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 19:16   #5

Cheapo netbook. Easier to watch in bed, out in the salon, etc. Everything on a usb powered external hard drive. No wires, no installation. Charge it when you have excess power.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:09   #6
cruiser

Location: Usually somewhere that Triangulum Australe is in sight.
Boat: 28 foot steel sloop, Fiddler
something like this would do what you want, if you don't want a net book. Chop and change the audio brands, I went for cheap but good enough...
Henry Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:03   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to phiggins
I have all my videos and music on a 250G hard drive and connect it to my laptop which I then connect via HDMI to my TV. So if you go with a netbook, make sure it has an HDMI connector, thinks all the TVs now have at least one. Also the computer should have a DVD player or get an external one.

I recently converted all the movies and music to MP4/MP3 format so I can also transfer them to my iPod so I can play them while on watch (yes I do look around every now and then).
Old 09-10-2010, 13:59   #8

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
sailingaway...use the search feature :-)

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...und-47979.html

I just commented to a gentleman about doing this
I have all my movies and music on many Seagate FreeAgent 1 TB USB powered drives with a WD HD Live Media Player (make sure your using the latest beta firmware) all in a small Pelican 1200 case. As Emeril the Chef would say, "POW"..there ya go!
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
music