Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56   #1

Does anyone have experience with this antenna in the marine environment?
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:54   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: Mohu Sky HDTV Antenna

This is just another expensive gadget. You do not need any special antenna to pick up over the air HDTV. You need an antenna that will pick up UHF and VHF signals, period. Sometimes a coat hanger will do. If you are in the fringe areas for transmission, a signal booster attached to the antenna will be needed. If your going to spend that kind of money, get the Glomax antenna with the booster that is built for the marine environment. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:06   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
This is just another expensive gadget. You do not need any special antenna to pick up over the air HDTV. You need an antenna that will pick up UHF and VHF signals, period. Sometimes a coat hanger will do. If you are in the fringe areas for transmission, a signal booster attached to the antenna will be needed. If your going to spend that kind of money, get the Glomax antenna with the booster that is built for the marine environment. Chuck
Thanks for the input. I take it, however, your answer to my question then, is no?
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Your question seems to be, will it hold up in the marine environment. I can't answer that and suspect that any antenna will hold up for some period of time. I am just suggesting that if your going to spend that kind of money, why not buy an antenna that is designed for the marine environment and then you will have the answer before you make your purchase. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
Your question seems to be, will it hold up in the marine environment. I can't answer that and suspect that any antenna will hold up for some period of time. I am just suggesting that if your going to spend that kind of money, why not buy an antenna that is designed for the marine environment and then you will have the answer before you make your purchase. Chuck
My last post was far too snarky than I intended. I really do appreciate the input, but I (or others) could already have the antenna, been given it as a gift or came across a really good deal on it. If that's the case, why buy another if it will work perfectly fine.

Spec wise it's pretty good and an all plastic exterior is attractive for a boat. So I was curious if anyone had specific experience with it on a boat.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

I am going to be one of "those" posters that has something to say but has no experience with the exact product that you are asking about because I think it may help other people. You do NOT need a "marine" antenna to get off air TV broadcasts. I bought a standard omnidirectional power boosted antenna for less than $50 at a discount store. I don't put it outside, it just sits on top of a locker in my forward cabin and works GREAT! Cheap and effective.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRapture40 View Post
I am going to be one of "those" posters that has something to say but has no experience with the exact product that you are asking about because I think it may help other people. You do NOT need a "marine" antenna to get off air TV broadcasts. I bought a standard omnidirectional power boosted antenna for less than $50 at a discount store. I don't put it outside, it just sits on top of a locker in my forward cabin and works GREAT! Cheap and effective.
What kind of range do you think you get?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

I'm guessing 30 miles or so(which is about as far as you are going to get with off air). I am not sure where the antennas are, but I am tied up in Kingston, WA and am getting all of the Seattle stations (including HiDef) with no problem at all.
SVRapture40 is offline   Reply With Quote