Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 16:12   #61

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Maxsea TZ, NAIS-300, Maretron USB100 all on N2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I'm a noob with all of this, but just completed a N2K install with Maretron USB100 and Actisense 183-2000 converter as well as Simrad autopilot, Furuno radar/MFD8 and Standard Horizon AIS VHF.

Plugged the USB100 into a laptop running Coastal Explorer, set a waypoint and sent it to the autopilot - no problem, it immediately took the waypoint and steered for it. I haven't figured out how to send stuff to the Furuno yet - the same procedure as for the Simrad doesn't work with the Furuno (but I don't really care about that because I won't be using the Furuno and CE at the same time).

Interestingly, my quick test of getting the AIS onto the N2K network via the Actisense wasn't successful. The Furuno was set to get the AIS info from the Actisense (it actually showed up on the Furuno setup menu as a source for AIS), but no AIS data appears. CE sees the AIS data, but is complaining that the sentences are too long and is not using them. Again, this was an end of day test by twisting some wires together and hoping for the best. I get confused with 0183 and may have the wrong wires connected.

Mark
Upgrade your Actisense to 2.197

From the release notes:

- VDM & VDO: Improved security of AIS decoding from NMEA 0183 source. Now ensures that AIS sentences have the correct number of fields (6) as an additional check before unencapsulating and translating them.

Keep us posted on the Furuno and AIS on N2K. I'll be connecting mine in a week or so (cable backordered).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 15:40   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Played a bit more with the autopilot and also compared to Mark's brand new model. The software as improved, the AP24 has a menu option to choose the source for navigation and it shows the detected speakers. This is easy, but it still requires working the menu to change to another navigation source.

My AP25 requires that global Simnet reset. I will check if there is new firmware available.

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 03:59   #63

FYI, Navnet3D v. 2.07 does not support AIS from N2K. It shows it as a data source, but it doesn't work.

This is confirmed in the Furuno user forum also.
Old 29-12-2011, 04:54   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 42CE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Upgrade your Actisense to 2.197
Been waiting for this...

Quote:

FYI, Navnet3D v. 2.07 does not support AIS from N2K. It shows it as a data source, but it doesn't work.

This is confirmed in the Furuno user forum also.
How about Navnet Time Zero Explorer on the laptop via ethernet / anyone with success there?
Per the Navnet website:

"Compatible with AIS: MaxSea Time Zero can be connected to any AIS using NMEA0183 or via Ethernet. "
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
arisatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 05:00   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by arisatx View Post
Been waiting for this...

How about Navnet Time Zero Explorer on the laptop via ethernet / anyone with success there?
Per the Navnet website:

"Compatible with AIS: MaxSea Time Zero can be connected to any AIS using NMEA0183 or via Ethernet. "
Yes, I think it was demonstrated in this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...a-72173-2.html
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 05:21   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Yes, I think it was demonstrated in this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...a-72173-2.html
Yes, AIS works over the NavNet Ethernet, but to get it into NavNet, you need a 0183 link to a MFD, or the Furuno AIS which has native NavNet Ethernet aboard.

I refuse to buy that Furuno AIS because I want AIS on my N2K network. I can only hope that Furuno recognizes lost business when enough people make that decision so that they come out with N2K versions (with or without Ethernet).

I now have my sights on this upcoming AIS with color touchscreen:

This one will have N2K, 0183, USB and Wifi. The only thing it's missing is the class-A mode that I enjoy now.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 29-12-2011, 05:51   #67
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Twisted:
Thanks for the link to the other thread .

Too bad our yard is closed up for the holidays, testing will have to wait - but up here on Lake Michigan there's plenty of time to do that this time of year.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
Old 29-12-2011, 06:54   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, AIS works over the NavNet Ethernet, but to get it into NavNet, you need a 0183 link to a MFD, or the Furuno AIS which has native NavNet Ethernet aboard.
Thanks Nick: Rather than a direct 0183 link to the Furuno MFD, I'm hoping that the Actisense unit (with most recently updated firmware) can put those PGN's from the SH onto the N2K backbone.

Quote:
I refuse to buy that Furuno AIS because I want AIS on my N2K network...
my sentiments exactly

Quote:
I now have my sights on this upcoming AIS with color touchscreen:

This one will have N2K, 0183, USB and Wifi. The only thing it's missing is the class-A mode that I enjoy now.

cheers,
Nick.
That's quite a unit. Do you sacrifice the ability to make a DSC VHF call as in the Standard Horizon VHF (AIS receiver)?
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
Old 29-12-2011, 07:07   #69

Quote:
Thanks Nick: Rather than a direct 0183 link to the Furuno MFD, I'm hoping that the Actisense unit (with most recently updated firmware) can put those PGN's from the SH onto the N2K backbone.
Per the conversion list, the NGW-1 with the AIS load can take 0183 AIS to the N2K.

http://www.actisense.com/Downloads/D...ue%202.196.pdf

But, I don't believe you'll get any Furuno/Maxsea product to see them on N2K. My AIS transceiver has native N2K and the MFDs don't see the traffic.
Old 29-12-2011, 07:20   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That's quite a unit. Do you sacrifice the ability to make a DSC VHF call as in the Standard Horizon VHF (AIS receiver)?
Well, Vesper marine just release their Christmas gift which is DSC VHF calls from their AIS products, so this unit has that.

I refuse to buy the Standard Horizon VHF because it does not have N2K either. Plus, it's not a transponder, although receive-only in a VHF is a nice backup.

I think these new Vesper units have all I like to see... except they are not for sale yet

cheers,
Nick.
Old 29-12-2011, 07:25   #71

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Per the conversion list, the NGW-1 with the AIS load can take 0183 AIS to the N2K.

http://www.actisense.com/Downloads/D...ue%202.196.pdf

But, I don't believe you'll get any Furuno/Maxsea product to see them on N2K. My AIS transceiver has native N2K and the MFDs don't see the traffic.
Indeed... let's all call in bugs to Furuno support abut not supporting N2K AIS. If they say it's not a bug, then request the feature added.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 29-12-2011, 07:58   #72

Just curious - if you have AIS on NavNet, and from there is shows on the MFDs and on MaxSea, what's driving your desire to have it on N2K, other than purity of bridging? My basic nav setup is nearly identical to yours except I have the Furuno AIS which dump it's data directly onto NavNet. I haven't come across a need to also get it on N2K, though I agree that the MFDs should do that just like they rebroadcast other non-proprietary NavNet data.

My goal was to eliminate 0183. The one-talker, many-listeners architecture just doesn't scale beyond a very small number of instruments, and creates a confused rats nest of a network. N2K in infinitely better, even with its lingering limitations. The one place I couldn't get rid of 0183 was interfacing to the VHFs.

Since all the big vendors use Ethernet for Radar and fish finders, and all those implementations are proprietary, I decided to accept Furuno's NavNet, and use it wherever it's available. In my case that covers the MFDs, sounder, radar, AIS, and weather.
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 08:07   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well, Vesper marine just release their Christmas gift which is DSC VHF calls from their AIS products, so this unit has that.

I refuse to buy the Standard Horizon VHF because it does not have N2K either. Plus, it's not a transponder, although receive-only in a VHF is a nice backup.

I think these new Vesper units have all I like to see... except they are not for sale yet

cheers,
Nick.
Woah - Merry Christmas. I'll keep an eye out for that new Vesper. You're right about that SH VHF - that's the only 0183 device I have on board, but I figured at that reasonable price point I could always use it as a backup AIS receiver once a nice N2K transponder came on the market. While mixed vendor integration has its challenges, I'm happy we went with an N2K based boat.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
Old 29-12-2011, 08:18   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Indeed... let's all call in bugs to Furuno support abut not supporting N2K AIS. If they say it's not a bug, then request the feature added.

cheers,
Nick.
Done (twice - I originally missed the part where their moderator has to approve posts before they are publicly viewable). But I'm from Chicago, where we vote early and often.
V42 #186 s/v Little Wing
Old 29-12-2011, 08:22   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Just curious - if you have AIS on NavNet, and from there is shows on the MFDs and on MaxSea, what's driving your desire to have it on N2K, other than purity of bridging? My basic nav setup is nearly identical to yours except I have the Furuno AIS which dump it's data directly onto NavNet. I haven't come across a need to also get it on N2K, though I agree that the MFDs should do that just like they rebroadcast other non-proprietary NavNet data.

My goal was to eliminate 0183. The one-talker, many-listeners architecture just doesn't scale beyond a very small number of instruments, and creates a confused rats nest of a network. N2K in infinitely better, even with its lingering limitations. The one place I couldn't get rid of 0183 was interfacing to the VHFs.

Since all the big vendors use Ethernet for Radar and fish finders, and all those implementations are proprietary, I decided to accept Furuno's NavNet, and use it wherever it's available. In my case that covers the MFDs, sounder, radar, AIS, and weather.
The reason to want AIS on N2K is that N2K is perfectly suited for it, it's the only up to date standard among manufacturers, and some devices will only accept AIS over N2K, like the new Raymarine instrument displays for example. And that is just the first one (after Vesper starting the trend of AIS displays), you can count on all manufacturers starting to support AIS displays like we have rolling highway displays today.

ciao!
Nick.

Tags
ais, maxsea