Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2022, 15:02   #1

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Marinetraffic uploads

So I have gotten all of my ship's data on the wi-fi. I also have a dedicated ship's hotspot. Finally, my Android phone is linked to both systems.

I am currently on the Erie Canal, where I see that there is essentially zero Marinetraffic data. I'm sure there are other places that are similar.

It seems to me that I should be able to take the AIS data and pump it to the Marinetraffic servers using my Android phone. I've just spent an hour or more trying to find solutions, and can't find any. This should be a nearly background app that reads the data from the data port and pumps it to Marinetraffic.

Anybody have any easy answers to this? I believe openCPN can do it. I have openCPN installed, but rarely turn it on, and it seems a bit of a resource hog just for this purpose.

Thoughts? You'd think Marinetraffic would have this app already written and published!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 16:27   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Marinetraffic uploads

They do, and others exist. But you need to make arrangements with Marinetraffic, you can't just send it to them unannounced.

Here's a link to get started: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/p/expand-coverage

And here's one that shows several programs that can be used to send your data: https://help.marinetraffic.com/hc/en...-can-I-use-it-

I've been sending data to Marinetraffic for years, from Windows and from RPi (and other) linux computers.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 16:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Marine traffic takes feeds from two places:
1. Satellites which receive the AIS signals
2. Internet connections to registered stations.

The only way you pass your AIS data to MarineTraffic is to become a registered station with an internet connection. See https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/p/expand-coverage

Edit: I see Paul beat me to it
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 17:01   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Thanks to both of you. Unfortunately, I pretty much had that understanding already. From what I can tell, the only supported hardware that can forward information to Marinetraffic is Windows based. I'd rather use my cell phone or a tablet. While the power demand of a laptop is rather trivial, I turn it on only a few hours a week, whereas my tablet and phone are "on" basically 24/7.

I understand that you have to be registered, and I've read through their "cover your area" section, but before I go through the steps of getting registered, I'd like to know that I can actually feed the data.

I have been pointed towards some software that runs on a raspberry pi, and that might be a fun project this winter, but I will be mobile until October (Down East Circle) and won't be able to learn a new hardware and OS system before then!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa, marine