Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:47   #1036

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Re: Long-Distance WiFi Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
my wifi stick antenna looks exactly like the wave-rv one, but isnt.
O.k...if you can get a model number off it..we can see what its specs are. However, Option 1 - you could remove the rubber ducky antenna and put an outside high gain omni or directional antenna to it. I would use a thicker, higher grade coax for the connection. Option 2 - Get a active USB extesion cable which will minimize antenna loss and place your stick thing unit outside with a larger higher gain antenna on it. Most external wifi devives use a RP-SMA connector.
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:48   #1037
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ossiris---- what method of loading is it-- disc, which i cannot use, as there is no disc playing method on my boat at present , or flash unit? i wont be able to obtain a disc unit for a bunch of months,as i am babying my acer into surviving more time than it is spozed to ....is already 2 years old, and barely works !...it gets replaced after the boat is better. need some boat parts first.
are there online drivers??
i have the boats stick thingie is on my mizzen mast over my companionway
found drivers online for the one i have in use.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatboatguy View Post
I also have an all in one hoistable wifi solution in the works. This one is totally wireless. Unfortunately the getting-underway-pains are strong now and I have it on the back burner. Once I'm hooked up in the Abacos again I'll have a little time to play with it. My goal is to provide a set of "how-to" manuals in PDF format complete with screen shots and photo illustrations.

George

George, great to here....keeping th emind working is good for us and neat fun. My could be hoistable..if needed..but it is definately portable and rugged. The output power and recieve gain are also user adjustable with a custon written PC program.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:53   #1039

I'm not going to do anything with programing. Just off the shelf parts that (almost) anyone can assemble and get up and running. I have almost zero "not invented here" feelings about stuff and while it won't be a wiki format tutorial, it will be wide open to suggested improvements from the gang. Rugged, waterproof, portable and best of all... inexpensive! heh heh
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56   #1040

I have a little more complicated wifi project in the works that *does* need programing but fortunately for me, I'm partnered with a great programer on it! I have the arduino and an trunk load of other electronic components aboard for that little project.

I completely agree with exercising the mind. It's our best defense against dementia and... um... what do they call that again? heh heh
Old 11-09-2011, 08:57   #1041

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ossiris---- what method of loading is it-- disc, which i cannot use, as there is no disc playing method on my boat at present , or flash unit? . . . are there online drivers??
Yes a CD comes with the unit but the same drivers, etc. are available online. My wife has an Acer Netbook with no CD drive so I copied the CD to a flash drive stick and then used that on her computer. You could have a friend with a full size lapbook or PC copy the installation CD to a memory stick (flash drive stick) for your use. Or get the drivers online on the Alfa website.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:00   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Yes a CD comes with the unit but the same drivers, etc. are available online. My wife has an Acer Netbook with no CD drive so I copied the CD to a flash drive stick and then used that on her computer. You could have a friend with a full size lapbook or PC copy the installation CD to a memory stick (flash drive stick) for your use. Or get the drivers online on the Alfa website.
thankyou--i like the online drivers-- found a source for finding them for parts without drivers included-- worked great--now for the distance thing.....
here in mexico the netbooks are a tad different than in usa-- keyboard differences are major. and acer is more pricey than hp and dell!!!!! go figger.....
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17   #1043

Zee,

I've mentioned a few things, but you've yet to reply or show interest. So, I await more questions if they arise
Old 11-09-2011, 11:53   #1044

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Zee,

I've mentioned a few things, but you've yet to reply or show interest. So, I await more questions if they arise
i didnt see a model number on my wand thingie--i was able to grab a driver online for it.. it makes a slight difference for the wifi here but i want to know what can i get for additional benefit or in place thereof for distance...
Old 11-09-2011, 12:00   #1045

Did you read my post earlier??
Old 11-09-2011, 12:25   #1046

engineer-- yes and pm sent....
Old 09-10-2011, 20:34   #1047

Has anyone uploaded the latest firmware (R36-1.2.0.7) to the Alfa R36 USB Router?

I got it from the Alfa website on Sept 26th (2011) and when I attempted to upload it to the router (via ethernet) I had the "Upgrading firmware. Please be patient, thanks..." message on my screen for 45 minutes. I never got the "Upgrade successfully. Rebooting" message.

I knew this was taking way too long as the previous upgrade took 5 minutes or less. I got up the nerve and clicked on another menu item, such as status. The "Upgrading" screen disappeared and I received the system status window. Hurray, it still works and is not a doorstop... but it is still 1.2.0.6.

We are using the ALFA R36 & AWUS036H.
Sheila Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 21:41   #1048

Boat: Tartan 30

Try re-downloading the firmware. And if it's zipped. Unzip it with winrar (instead of winzip) [assuming you have a windows computer]

My thinking is it could be a corrupted file. Happens all the time... use the file as little as possible, no copying, moving to new folders, etc... Just download it directly to a folder (then unzip if necessary) and upload from there.

Also, when you upload it, have your computer freshly rebooted, and don't have any unnecessary programs running.

I have no experience with the alfa firmware, but i've done this a bazillion times with other types of router firmware. usually the problem is in the file, or it's an incorrect firmware. it should be slow, but not 45 minutes slow... Does the alfa give you the option to backup it's current firmware? if so, that would be ideal. if not, download a copy of the current firmware (the one you're already using) just in case.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05   #1049
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Sig View Post
Has anyone uploaded the latest firmware (R36-1.2.0.7) to the Alfa R36 USB Router?
v1.2.0.7 of the firmware only has changes effecting a single 3G USB Dongle. There are no advantages to upgrading to this firmware for your set-up.

Just FYI.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:53   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila Sig View Post
Has anyone uploaded the latest firmware (R36-1.2.0.7) to the Alfa R36 USB Router? We are using the ALFA R36 & AWUS036H.
Thanks CallMeCrazy & WirieFolks for your reply.

I contacted ALFA support and I am very surprised that they answered promptly and each time I had a question. He told me to check the MD5 Hash Value and how it is easy to do on a Mac. It was the correct value.

He said that the new firmware only addressed the issue on 3G synchronization so it really isn't necessary for me to update at this time.

NEW QUESTION: (He didn't answer this one)

I noticed in the R36_settings.dat has
CountryRegion=5
CountryRegionABand=5
CountryCode=EU
I bought this through an American company (Data Alliance who are NOT helpful in my opinion).

Will this country code setting be a problem? Does it affect the power of the unit?

ONE MORE QUESTION

When looking at the status window, it has Link Quality & Signal Strength.
Link Quality = 75%
Signal Strength = -53dBm (80%)
I know the lower the dBm the better but what does the percentage after it mean?

Also, I think I just figured out this one... On the Scan page it will give a number like this to a HotSpot
81/100 (-54 dBm)
I guess that means 81%... duh! but does it refer to signal strength or link quality...

What's the difference between link quality & signal strength. It doesn't mention noise at all...

Hmmm.... Sorry that was more than just one question I find this interesting so educate me, please!
Sheila Sig is offline   Reply With Quote