Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2009, 08:11   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
KVH Satellite Dish Problem

Any KVH techs lurking about the forum?

I cannot lock onto any satellites. I captured the startup info via the maintenance port and wonder if there are any clues to be found in the data.
Old 29-04-2009, 19:23   #2

Boat: Privilege 39
I don't know a thing about KVH, but aligning a DVB dish is pretty basic - but can be tricky, having done this a number of times for Dish Network and once for DirecTV.

Here's the way I'd approach the problem: On the receiver put in your current zipcode, and get the azimuth, elevation, and skew values. Is the dish pointed in that general direction? If not, then it's probably a calibration issue of some sort. Maybe the KVH needs to calibrate/reference itself to the boat?

Again, this is total speculation on my part, since I've only aligned normal old statically mounted dishes (including just a couple of days ago), but if it's not pointed in the right direction, then it's an alignment issue of some sort!
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 03:41   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Try Finding KVH User Guides and Tech Manuals at: Answer

Or
KVH provides outstanding support and service through KVH's product and customer support programs

E-mail KVH Technical Support at:
techs@kvh.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 05:50   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotte View Post
I don't know a thing about KVH, but aligning a DVB dish is pretty basic - but can be tricky, having done this a number of times for Dish Network and once for DirecTV.

Here's the way I'd approach the problem: On the receiver put in your current zipcode, and get the azimuth, elevation, and skew values. Is the dish pointed in that general direction? If not, then it's probably a calibration issue of some sort. Maybe the KVH needs to calibrate/reference itself to the boat?

Again, this is total speculation on my part, since I've only aligned normal old statically mounted dishes (including just a couple of days ago), but if it's not pointed in the right direction, then it's an alignment issue of some sort!
I can see the correct LAT/LONG and satellite location info listed in the startup data. So I'm confident that it's searching in the right space.

Quote:
Try Finding KVH User Guides and Tech Manuals at: Answer

Or
KVH provides outstanding support and service through KVH's product and customer support programs

E-mail KVH Technical Support at:
techs@kvh.com
I tried that Gord - the techs replied to the email with an 800 number for me to call

Guess I'll give that a go.....

Tags
satellite