Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2020, 16:15   #1

Is my condenser leaking?

Condenser gets cold, just not real cold. Took the condenser down and it looks to me the tubing has corroded. Could this be galvanic corrosion. Tubes ice up very quickly,but condenser is not getting real cold.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	431.1 KB
ID:	221501
Seaman gagging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:07   #2

Re: Is my condenser leaking?

Anyone got any advice for me

Thanks in advance
Old 18-08-2020, 17:35   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Gagging Seaman,
I'm not a refrigeration expert by any means....but I actually do have some advice for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaman gagging View Post
Anyone got any advice for me

Thanks in advance
1) Post your question on marine refrigeration issues in the "Plumbing Systems, Fixtures" and Refrigeration forum....
Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/

Rather than here, in the "Marine Electronics" forum.
(you will certainly get some decent advice there, and hopefully from actual marine refrigeration experts, such as Richard Kollerman, etc...)

2) When posting your questions there, describe your system (brand, model, year installed, year last serviced, etc....as well as your refrigerator / freezer box sizes, insulation types / thicknesses / age, describe door seals, types/ages, etc..)

And, of course include the most important pieces of info...such as where you are located now, what your ambient temps are (air and water temps), where you're cruising / plan on cruising, types of usages of your system (frig only, frig/freezer combo, spill-over, etc.), how often you open the boxes, how much "warm" food/drinks you put into the boxes, etc..

3) Take 30 seconds and remind yourself about refrigeration basics, so that you can use the proper terms when posting your questions...
(Fyi, what you show in your pic is an evaporator, not a condenser)

4) Be aware that with small refrigeration systems (like Danfoss BD35 or BD50 based systems), the amount of refrigerant in the system is very small (a few ounces), so if you desire to "add some gas" to the system, you can end up causing more problems than you solve, if you don't add the correct amount/

Again, I'm NO expert here, but from what I've read of the many who've had issues and the actual solutions....a total evacuation of the system and then putting in an exact measured amount of refrigerant, is the best way to "add gas"...

So, if you do have a leak and repair it, be cautious when adjusting refrigerant amount...

I really do hope the above advice helps....

fair winds

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 14:19   #4

John thanks for the nice note. I did get allot wrong in my post. Thanks for the advice. Got a fridge guy coming by next week